Bordlove

Biggest Box Office Disappointments of the Decade

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Is no one really mentioning TFA? The hype around that versus where it fell has to be a disappointment, or am I being crazy? I remember being afraid for Avatar, then it failed to even get past second place! 

It had everything going for it, and sure it did well, but this is Star Wars we're talking about! 

TFA was an overperformance, anyone expecting it much past 2B  was just getting carried away.       

Beat the biggest non-Cameron movie by about 25%.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

TFA was an overperformance, anyone expecting it much past 2B  was just getting carried away.       

Beat the biggest non-Cameron movie by about 25%.

I probably just got too swept up in the hype. I seriously thought it would beat Titanic and was quite shocked it didn't. 

• Like 1

My biggest "shocker" disappointment would between Solo and Justice League b/c I didn't think either franchise could go that low coming off its predecessors' successes...however, I thought the Star Wars fan base was more reliable, since they don't have another competitor's work to jump on board, so Solo would win for me.

However, I have to say Baywatch surprised the crap out of me, as did Mary Poppins 2, so those 2 also rank very high in my personal "biggest" disappointments, but maybe not in others...

Speaking of which, maybe we should also just make Memorial Day weekend the biggest disappointment weekend of the decade...since so many underperformers opened there, it's now becoming a joke weekend here...edit Prince of Persia Shrek Forever After kicked it off, and Aladdin might end it:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And what you “thought lol doesn’t make it a “disappointment” 

I guess I was one of the few who though that SWs had a chance at beating Jim - guess I was in the minority there... I guess Jim's greatness isn't as unknown as I previously thought. Good to know others believe in him though. 

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I vote for Solo as the biggest bomb of the decade. Nobody expected SW to bomb even when signs were everywhere that Solo was not going to do that well, people still expected at least 700M WW. 

No one would have thought the previous star wars film would cause a civil war in the star wars fanbase either.

42 minutes ago, TMP said:

Blade Runner 2049. Remember reading it was out-pacing The Martian and was gonna open at $60m 😕 

Yeah I just remember estimates kept getting lower and lower during the weekend. What a depressing thread to go back and read.

50 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No one would have thought the previous star wars film would cause a civil war in the star wars fanbase either.

We've had a couple already 😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Nobody mentioned Star Trek into Darkness or How to Train Your Dragon 2 yet?(domestically mainly for the latter to be fair) 

What did you find that disappointing about Into Darkness, out of curiosity? I'd argue that it did reasonably well domestically (especially in comparison to where Beyond ended up), and that the Star Trek brand isn't strong enough internationally to produce huge numbers.

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think some would be surprised for the studio expectation on this, on the leaked e-mails they had in mind:

DBO       $85M
IBO        $65M
April 2016 U.S. Release date
Exclude MGM territories

It did:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $93,432,655    57.5%
Foreign:  $68,927,981    42.5%

It was planned at $75M net and it ended up 107M gross with a 30M Louisiana tax credit, I imagine with the other jurisdiction it ended up pretty close if not a bit under, that significantly higher than Equalizer 63m Net but (11-15M higher) but not that different. So I am not sure it ended far from the internal projection has a deception at all, or exactly what they expected. The maximum ceiling was thought to be about 225-245m for an Denzel western like that. Denzel never reached 200m ww since is movie with a peak Julia Robert, I am sure the expectation are in line with that, Denzel often get 9 figures budget because of how reliable he is, but they do not expect big ROI.

The Sony hack occurred before Chris Pratt was cast in it (which was in between the releases of Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World) though. Once the latter movie blew up, I'm sure the studio's expectations for it changed drastically.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

does anyone remember how it was when TPM came out? was it the same like after TLJ or worse/better?

Given that 1999 might as well be a whole different world, I'd say it was just as bad. I mean the guy who played Jar Jar revealed that he contemplated suicide from all the backlash back then in light of the whole Kelly Marie Tran drama last year. Though toxic fan culture in general seems to have been exposed for what it really is recently.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Given that 1999 might as well be a whole different world, I'd say it was just as bad. I mean the guy who played Jar Jar revealed that he contemplated suicide from all the backlash back then in light of the whole Kelly Marie Tran drama last year. Though toxic fan culture in general seems to have been exposed for what it really is recently.

Yikes! I guess that social media amplified the toxicity so things may look worse now cause word travels much faster. 

Solo has to be the biggest bust of the decade, hands down. A Star Wars film that may or may not be the most expensive film ever made, pushing a 300m price tag, headlining arguably the most popular character in the entire SW universe couldn't even make 400m worldwide in 2018. That is just a completely new and unprecedented level of failure in franchise films. 

That said, it's not even close to the most shocking to me, since aside from coming up a little short OS of my predictions, I pretty much expected it to happen by the time we were a couple months away from release. Scream 4 comes to mind as the most shocking for me. I was one of the ones around here who thought 100m+ OW was more than possible leading all the way up to literally the first numbers for it coming in. And then it opened to freaking eighteen mil and had shit legs. I still remember the utter shock I was in over that, and I still don't fully understand it. I can't imagine that happening in today's very alive and thriving horror scene at the box office. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Justice League flopped because everybody hated Batman v Superman. Batman v Superman is the biggest disappointment of the decade. It had a killer premise that should have guaranteed 1.3-1.5 billion and it under performed and basically destroyed the DCEU. How can that not be number one?

The DCEU was not destroyed. In fact, it is alive...

Image result for Wonder Woman ending movie GIF

Image result for Aquaman ending movie GIF

and kicking...

Image result for Shazam movie GIF

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Solo felt like a lost cause from the moment Lord/Miller were fired from the movie when it was almost done and Ron Howard was brought on board to practically reshoot the whole thing. Curious how that whole mess ended up unfolding while Fox didn't bother to reshoot Bohemian Rhapsody nearly from scratch after Singer was fired (so that he wouldn't get any credit for the movie) when it most certainly wouldn't have been anywhere nearly as costly to do so.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Sony hack occurred before Chris Pratt was cast in it (which was in between the releases of Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World) though. Once the latter movie blew up, I'm sure the studio's expectations for it changed drastically.

Was Liam Neeson in the role at the time, for a western with that target audience not that obvious which was the better pick.

The hack occurred right when they were talking with Pratt and they sounded excited about it obviously, not sure how much of a game changer it was perceived to be, didn;t change the budget at all for example.