Bordlove

Biggest Box Office Disappointments of the Decade

7 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

Your 3rd viewing would put it inside of your Top 5.  Trust me. :)

Nah. BP, Civil War, Avengers, Iron Man, Infinity War, GOTG, Winter Solider, and maybe a couple others are ahead for me. Best case scenario is 8th, worst is 11th. Still much higher than I had it before. Let's just say 10th and CM 11th haha. CM rewatch may change it but probably not.

Updated list with new movies:

Very enjoyable & fun movies that I really liked, but some either harshly underperformed or just did a bit lesser than expected:

(Old)

Kung Fu Panda 3

War for the Planet of the Apes

Paddington 2

(New)

Dumbo (2019)

Detective Pikachu

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

The Secret Life of Pets 2

• Like 1

On personal level

Age of Ultron - 1.4 Billie was good and I would have made peace with it individually but the fact F7 and JW out of no where did what they did, it was a disappointment.

Homecoming - Due to Iron Man presence, I was expecting 175 OW and 1 Billie WW.

The Lion King - It was an easy 2 Billie.

Generally

I guess the usuals, Solo, Justice League, etc

Also, more emotional to Bollywood than Hollywood. All SRK films this decade were disappointments, barring Chennai Express.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

On personal level

Age of Ultron - 1.4 Billie was good and I would have made peace with it individually but the fact F7 and JW out of no where did what they did, it was a disappointment.

Homecoming - Due to Iron Man presence, I was expecting 175 OW and 1 Billie WW.

The Lion King - It was an easy 2 Billie.

Agreed on all and was in some boat expectation wise, though it hindsight pretty clear it was just over estimated a bit.

-ULTRON really suffered from same opening weekend as Mayweather-Pacman & then WOM was not great.

-Homecoming - I think being the 3rd Spider-man in 10 Years really diminished returns. I think ffh would bigger too coming off of End-Game. The character is still huge obviously but to reach the real upper echelon again, could probably use a bit of a break.

-Lion King conceptually was a grand slam but the CGI and reviews did not help it. 

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Endgame, obviously. I mean, 10 years passes since Avatar and it can only beat it by what, a hundred bucks? 2.8 billion worldwide is NOT ENOUGH. DISAPPOINTING!

No film will even pass Titanic for foreseeable future.

Its simply way too hard. 

Edit: Just if you are being sarcastic on my answer 😛

well: Disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest.

The film's I mentioned were for personal disappointment, generally they were huge. Yeah Endgame could be same for you sure but what you were asking was simply way way way way too hard.

I being a huge MCU fan thought 2.4bn was ceiling. Thanks to Chinese fans who paid ¥60-70 tickets in first weekend made a huge difference.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

The Lion King '19 was held back from reaching the highest of its high expectations ($1.75B is an insane amount of money no matter how you look at it) due to the movie being the blandest remake it could possibly be. Beyoncé's Black Is King was a better live-action reimagining of the original movie.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Agreed on all and was in some boat expectation wise, though it hindsight pretty clear it was just over estimated a bit.

-ULTRON really suffered from same opening weekend as Mayweather-Pacman & then WOM was not great.

-Homecoming - I think being the 3rd Spider-man in 10 Years really diminished returns. I think ffh would bigger too coming off of End-Game. The character is still huge obviously but to reach the real upper echelon again, could probably use a bit of a break.

-Lion King conceptually was a grand slam but the CGI and reviews did not help it. 

WTF is even that?

Searched. Its some wresting match. Don't think it cost even $2-3mn either. Whatever it lost, if it did, would have made on next day.

Anyways reasons are well, known but the fact those were disappointment for me.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Lion King '19 was held back from reaching the highest of its high expectations ($1.75B is an insane amount of money no matter how you look at it) due to the movie being the blandest remake it could possibly be. Beyoncé's Black Is King was a better live-action reimagining of the original movie.

I'm pretty sure that WW total is an error on Mojo's part due to grosses in some latin markets being counted twice.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt6105098/?ref_=bo_cso_table_6

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I guess if we're also including actual blockbusters The Rise of Skywalker certainly applies. Conclusion to The Skywalker Saga that finished short of Rogue One's total. Though it likely would've been a different story had the movie been much better.

I realised disappointment happen when something fail expectations. I remember many of us in tracking thread were thinking of under billion dollar just before release, so disappointment level post release was less.

TRoS doing just a billion was ofcourse a shitty result 

Endgame wasn’t a disappointment for me even if I would have enjoyed DOM #1 or 2B OS. WW #1 is more than enough to satiate.   

TFA not a disappointment. DOM #1 even  still, first non-Cameron 2 billie, etc.

Therefore biggest BO disappointment of the decade is IW, just some 25M short of BP and TFA ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF is even that?

Searched. Its some wresting match. Don't think it cost even $2-3mn either. Whatever it lost, if it did, would have made on next day.

Actually it was pop culture impact in the United States was comparable to the Super Bowl. That weekend, a very significant amount of people allocated their Saturday afternoon & evening to watching the fight. They would have also set aside a good chunk of their weekend pocket money to buying the fight and viewing party arrangements, etc. Airtime from media and social media channels that was entirely devoted to Avengers 1, 3, and 4 was split 50-50 with the fight at best. For a very significant number of Americans, Avengers 2 was not the big event that weekend. This is a picture from Vegas's airport from the all the celebrity private jets in town for the fight:

The-private-jets-at-Las-Vegas-airport-ah

There is no real way of knowing exactly how much "MayPac" cost Avengers 2, but common sense says 

1) Ultron was more anticipated than JURASSIC WORLD which opened to $208m same summer

2) Avengers business didn't really grow by the $67 million that separated Ultron and Infinity War's weekend. 

3) Ultron's weekend was barely higher than IRON MAN 3's inflated weekend.

Many predictors expected the fight to have an impact and in hindsight, it's clear its impact was huge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather_Jr._vs._Manny_Pacquiao

Although the fight was considered to be one of the most anticipated sporting events in history, it was largely considered a letdown by critics and audiences alike upon its broadcast.

The fight lived up to revenue expectations, generating somewhere between $300 million and $400 million in gross revenue according to early estimates (including announced ticket sales totalling $72,198,500), which would surpass Super Bowl XLIX.[117][118] Due to the possibility of high demand, viewers were encouraged to pre-order the PPV: a HBO representative reported that the fight had attracted more pre-orders than any other PPV event in the broadcaster's history. Despite the guidance, a high volume of last-minute orders overwhelmed the systems of several major U.S. television providers and resulted in various technical issues, such as difficulties ordering or viewing the PPV and outages that affected unrelated channels as well for some viewers.[119][120] To address these issues, the main event was pushed back 45 minutes from its originally projected start time of 8:15 p.m. PT (11:15 p.m. ET), to 9:00 p.m PT (12:00 a.m. ET).[121][122][123]

The fight broke PPV viewership records in the United States, with 4.6 million buys and over $410 million in revenue, surpassing the previous $150 million revenue record set by Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Álvarez, the 2.48 million buy record set by 2007's Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. and a pre-fight estimate of $270 million from three million households.[65][75][124] In the Philippines, Kantar ratings estimated that the fight was watched across the three-network consortium by 46.9% of Filipino households; of the three networks simulcasting the fight, ABS-CBN had the largest number of viewers, with a rating share of 24%.[82]

Due to hundreds of business jets filling up the stands, McCarran International Airport was closed for non-airline flights during the event days.[125][126] By contrast, the typically bustling streets of the Philippine capital Manila were nearly empty during the fight.[127]

Edited by excel1