Eric S'ennui

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Horror is killing it these days. Pet Semetary should also does well in two weeks and Ma (more of a thriller than a horror movie but it's from the Blumhouse brand) should fare well at the end of May.

The trailer for Ma got fantastic reactions at Us last night (that, La Llorona, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got the best reactions).  Wouldn’t be surprised if that, Rocketman, and Godzilla all go 30M+ on that weekend.

Edited by That One Guy

Just now, That One Guy said:

The trailer for Ma got fantastic reactions at Us last night.  Wouldn’t be surprised if that, Rocketman, and Godzilla all go 30M+ on that weekend.

Would that be a first?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Horror is killing it these days. Pet Semetary should also does well in two weeks and Ma (more of a thriller than a horror movie but it's from the Blumhouse brand) should fare well at the end of May.

One of the producers of Ma said it’s a lot more horror than it looks so far. 

I stopped the trailer after 30 seconds cause I thought it was giving away too much lol

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

One of the producers of Ma said it’s a lot more horror than it looks so far. 

I stopped the trailer after 30 seconds cause I thought it was giving away too much lol

It looks ridiculous (when Octavia hits that girl and keeps on driving: :rofl:) but a lot of fun. Great to see her headlining a movie like that.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lego Batman, Fifty Shades 2, and John Wick 2 all opened over $30M on the same weekend in February 2017.

Nice find. Loosening the all OW restriction there’s a crazy pair of weekends where Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, and Alvin+Chipmunks 2 are all above 48M on Dec 25-27, and then all above 35M the very next weekend again.     

I have no good way to exhaustively search, but I don’t think the back-to-back 3 30M+ has happened any other time.

Edited by Thanos Legion

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Nice find. Loosening the all OW restriction there’s a crazy pair of weekends where Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, and Alvin+Chipmunks 2 are all above 48M on Dec 25-27, and then all above 35M the very next weekend again.     

I have no tood way to exhaustively search, but I don’t think the back-to-back 3 30M+ has happened any other time.

Before that there was Valentine's Day, Percy Jackson, and The Wolfman on Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend in 2010. February is clearly a good month for multiple $30M+ openers.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Just ban the Jordan guy from making films. His next will only match the budget in first weekend at this pace.

Charlie do you have any thursday numbers? We don't seem to have any thursday numbers and they are pretty late. 

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week:

Dumbo: 1:43. Attachments are Toy Story 4 and Aladdin

Unplanned: 1:44. Attachments unplanned

Beach Bum isn't available yet

ftfy :) 

A few months ago I was tempted to make a Pet Sematary OW > Shazam OW club. I am off that now due to the relatively strong word on Shazam and the smash success of Aquaman, but I still think Pet Sematary is good for a breakout - Stephen King properties are hot, horror is hot, nostalgia is hot, and reviews/trailers are good. I could see 40m OW! 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

A few months ago I was tempted to make a Pet Sematary OW > Shazam OW club. I am off that now due to the relatively strong word on Shazam and the smash success of Aquaman, but I still think Pet Sematary is good for a breakout - Stephen King properties are hot, horror is hot, nostalgia is hot, and reviews/trailers are good. I could see 40m OW! 

So in other words, Pet Sematary>Glass for OW?