Eric the IF

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

Correct me if i’m wrong, but that’s the largest Thursday previews for an original movie ever, right? SLOP hit 5.4M (with the rest of the animation lower), and Avatar was 3.6M. I can’t see anything else that would challenge it.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Can we remember to take deadlines early Friday number with a pinch of salt please? 

😂

Yeah I mean that's fair to say. What a fail that was. Went from meh to good to record breaking.

Get Out - 30/180

Us - 60/180 maybe?

The Matrix - 30/180

The Matrix Reloaded - 90/290

Us - 90/270?

It did 100+ and 300+, 

R-rated horror has never struck 300 twice

The Matrix grew a lot after The Matrix, Get Out won Oscar for Screenplay, social horror should grow, and reaching IT levels would be max horror audience.  IT reached a lot of ages and I think US is just maxxing out on it's demographic.  But it's not enough to wager +/- 20 million on the opening weekend

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$1.55mn Friday in China for Bohemian Rhapsody.

• $666.2mn Overseas. #35 beating HP:DH1

• $852mn WW cume now. #55 beating Homecoming and Spectre

I assume you mean $882m? Since Domestic is for sure over 215 :P 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TMP said:

Why did US get delayed by a week? To capitalize on SXSW?

That, and I think it might also be to get IMAX/PLFs. If it opened in its original date, I'm pretty sure IMAX would be more willing to hold onto Captain Marvel in favor of Us (IMAX might have even had a contract with Disney that Captain Marvel had two weeks minimum). It wasn't until Uni/Blumhouse saw how huge the trailer was that they knew they had a winner and decided to push it back one week to get those IMAX/PLF screens

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah Deadline gets it wrong few times but most of the time they are in neighbourhood and that's even more impressive because Friday estimates are easy, Thursday there isn't anyone else other than them.

Based on Thursday preview what are your expectations for US for OW? 

Will Jordan Peele get his Inception next (big budget original film sold largely on his name) or is some big studio gonna get him on an IP? I really hope for the former

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Will Jordan Peele get his Inception next (big budget original film sold largely on his name) or is some big studio gonna get him on an IP? I really hope for the former

Nolan had Batman Begins and The Dark Knight before Inception, so I presume it will be the former.