Eric Furiosa

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

Us doing big! Universal doing big for a horror film is insane! People want to see an event film, those pre-sales back in January and that trailer around Christmas as well as coverage of the film like every week it felt. 

As well as Jordan Peele invading the Super Bowl with promo ads for Twlight Zone and Us was one of them.  If it does $80  million ow or even $75 million ow. That’s huge.  Candyman 2020 will be huge as a summer tentpole next year. 

Pet Sematary will do well but not IT or Quiet Place level well. It should do $30-$35 million ow and $90-$100 million domestic if its a breakout. La Llorna should do $20-$25 million ow and do $55 million domestic. Ma could be a big summer surprise move that to Memorial Day.... watch out Aladdin.:ohmygod:

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

But folks arguing pre-sales (which, as Solo: A Star Wars Story should have taught you, aren’t a 1-to-1 predictor of opening weekend) positioning the film for a $100m-plus opening are doing all parties a disservice. Do you really want to put Peele, Universal and the rest of the gang on the defensive when the movie “only” opens to $55m this weekend, That One Guy? Huh?

Finally, I can put on my résumé that I was quoted in Forbes for going a little overboard with my Us predictions

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

We have power to sway Box Office Analysis articles.  It’s time to unionize!

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Finally, I can put on my résumé that I was quoted in Forbes for going a little overboard with my Us predictions

You've struck it big kid! Just remember not to forget the small guys when you're at the top!

Glad to see Us breaking out.  I think "The New Jordan Peele Movie" is definitely going to become a thing.

I'm completing the rare feat of watching all 3 of my A-List movies in one day tomorrow.

My sister is in town and wants to see Captain Marvel with me in the morning.  Then doing the Fandango sneak peek with friends of the other Captain Marvel at 7:00 p.m., and then Us at 10:00 p.m.  (And meanwhile watching Get Out with one of those friends who hasn't seen it yet in the afternoon between trips to the theater for a mini Peele-a-thon.)

Ah, movies, I just can't quit you.

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol when did that happen? Missed that one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/11/29/disneys-choice-for-mulan-lead-role-leaves-some-chinese-moviegoers-baffled/#4a3456f92f92

Chinese moviegoers, who have had far more exposure to the actress via the dozens of movies in which she has appeared, are mixed in their reactions.

“Oh, Disney you fail!,” says a social media commenter who goes by the handle Olive Skywalker on the boxofficetheory.com website. “She is the most famous box office poison in China and sucks in acting.”

Another commenter, who goes by the tag TigerPaw, added his opinion that Liu is the “2nd worst choice. The worst will be Jing Tian (the wooden female lead in Legendary’s The Great Wall) – she can't act and [has to] use her backing to get roles. Liu Yi Fei is bad, but it could have been worse.”

Not everyone is so opposed to the choice. A commenter by the name of UserHN wrote: “I just remembered watching her in Love of the Condor Heroes. She seems fine. And she's so beautiful.”

Another, Barnack, noted that “I’m not so sure it is wise to take the words of people on the Internet over a corporation like Disney that bought serious world marketing expert studies, they would have not hired box office poison, especially if she cannot act, that make little sense.”

• Haha 14
  • Astonished 1

Seriously though, having BOT at least "referenced" even if not by name in a major trades article is pretty big. "Independent trackers" are already mentioned on BO.com, and considering all the work many members on this site do, I think it's time they got at least some recognition :)

• Like 3

• Community Manager
24 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean Forbes clearly knows we exist so maybe but I also don't think we're big enough to put Peele and Universal on the defensive. 😂

Reddit/Twitter are though.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

TIL Barnack is a Chinese moviegoer.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Seriously though, having BOT at least "referenced" even if not by name in a major trades article is pretty big. "Independent trackers" are already mentioned on BO.com, and considering all the work many members on this site do, I think it's time they got at least some recognition :)

It's nice having the legendary Gavin Feng on our side.