Eric Loves Rey

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

@That One Guy

If it follows A Quiet Place and generates an 86.5M OW, it would only need about 3.39x legs to pass Sixth Sense. That's in the realm of possibility, but not a certainty. It really depends on its second weekend drop and how much impact Pet Sematary has on its third weekend.

All that matters is my club stays alive for now.  I predicted around 86M when tracking came out too so I shouldn’t have adjusted my expectations lol

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

@That One Guy

If it follows A Quiet Place and generates an 86.5M OW, it would only need about 3.39x legs to pass Sixth Sense. That's in the realm of possibility, but not a certainty. It really depends on its second weekend drop and how much impact Pet Sematary has on its third weekend.

I think the second weekend drop will be just fine but not great. A lot of casual moviegoers will not be impressed with the ending, so WOM will be mixed among those crowds. Third weekend onwards will be the real test.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Some of the posts in the first few pages of this thread have aged very well

I'd wait til the end of the weekend to age any posts...it should be an interesting weekend to watch this unfold.  All we know is Us is a wild success.  How high is still TBD, and might continue to help us evaluate how much comparable presales to movies in the last 12 months actually work right now...or if this is another movie that just doesn't quite have a movie to track towards:)...

It seems it will be the 2nd weekend in a row we finally have movies beating tracking again, so hurray for that:)...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Some of the posts in the first few pages of this thread have aged very well

1. I thought it would do 65 so I'm not sure why I thought beating Halloween wouldn't happen. I WAS WEAK.

2. Usually pretty good at not falling into the early Deadline estimate trap but I WAS WEAK.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

“Yes, I was excited for this one as well, and lord knows an obscenely huge debut for this original, star-and-filmmaker-driven, R-rated horror movie would help snap me out of my current “Disney just shut down Fox 2000” funk. But folks arguing pre-sales (which, as Solo: A Star Wars Story should have taught you, aren’t a 1-to-1 predictor of opening weekend) positioning the film for a $100m-plus opening are doing all parties a disservice. Do you really want to put Peele, Universal and the rest of the gang on the defensive when the movie “only” opens to $55m this weekend?”

plz show yourself Mendelson

Edited by That One Guy
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Shit, is Mendelson talking about BOT in his article?

But folks arguing pre-sales (which, as Solo: A Star Wars Story should have taught you, aren’t a 1-to-1 predictor of opening weekend) positioning the film for a $100m-plus opening are doing all parties a disservice. Do you really want to put Peele, Universal and the rest of the gang on the defensive when the movie “only” opens to $55m this weekend, That One Guy? Huh?

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2