sfran43

Tuesday Numbers: US $8.03M

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

Do it through your account settings. You can upload an image or copy and paste a URL link for the pic you wanna make your profile pic 

Went to account settings but there is no option for uploading Image. 😳😳😳

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

With around 5M W+Th, CM 3rd week will be basically the same as GotG2, which added 76M after (would get CM to ~409). CM falling faster, but might change late with Endgame  

Subsequent coming weekend for Gotg2 will be memorial day weekend. Think Gotg2 stays ahead in dailies from next weekend onwards.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm a fan of action movies like Fast.  I'm a fan of all movies. This site isn't a haven for fanboys, at least not from what I remembered. It should be about numbers for all movies. 

Beside I am actually loving CM, that is my POV as well, but...

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I picked F8 as an example. I could have also said Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. There were people saying JWFK was unimpressive.  I think it's insane to say it about any movie that reaches a billion.  :lol:

it might have been better to use another reasoning (known team vs intro solo) and another example with your avatar IMHO known team vs other known team or half-team or....

I love worldwide BO details since decades. I think you interpret the reactions to your reasoning wrongly.

Money amount alone does not tell the whole story.

How much went into advertising

How good were the translations into other languages

Where local events hindering

Did exchange rates help or hinder

What kind of reputation have the film makers the genre, the franchise in which country for which reason

Budget

tax rebates

local support based on local locations or other involvements

In this case, awareness about the franchises, introduced characters or not, certain genres not for all ages, genders, groups of people

Neutral example:

I know strong believers who forbade their children to watch e.g. Harry Potter for it promoting the idea of magic.

There is no same situation, not even within the same franchise.

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Sorry should have been more specific lol Go to account (not account settings, my bad lol) Then select profile. Then you should be able to go over the avatar in the left corner of the screen to change your pic 

If it doesn't work. Let me know. Also welcome to BOT :welcome:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

All I'm saying is a little consistency would go a long ways.  😉

Captain Marvel isn't a typical 1st entry.  It's the 21st movie into the MCU.   An 8th movie in a franchise doing $1.2 billion some 17 years or so after the first one was released is not something to be excited about?  It doesn't deserve high praise?  

This is where the biases come in.  

Ever heard of variables? Films have production costs ranging from $10,000 to $300 million+ and global marketing and theatrical distribution costs ranging from $10 million to $200 million+. Different genres have varying levels of commercial potential, especially across different countries. Some films start from scratch, some are adaptations and some are successive franchise entries; all 3 require different levels of marketing and on average have varying levels of commercial potential.

CM vs. F8? One is a direct sequel, the other may be a franchise entry but also introduced a character to said franchise. Oh, ad CM required a much smaller financial investment.

I don't know how moving the goalposts on returns is beneficial to the discussion but If we want to talk about impressive returns then a movie like IT making $700M worldwide with a tiny budget (according to a source that may or may not be reliable) of $35M is more impressive to me than any of these huge 'blockbuster' type movies.  

This discussion started because people are unhappy with the reception CM is getting on these boards.  What type of reception should it be getting? What does it warrant?  I agree it warrants more than a "meh" but what should everyone be saying?  Wow, greatest run ever? It's a good run,  even a great run, that's fair.  Leave it at that. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Matthew said:

If you have still problems after Nova's 2nd post some possibilities only work after a certain amount of posts I think (maybe 10???) Its possible I confuse that with another forum, its too long ago since my early days here and their software changed since then repeatedly

Besides...

:welcome: to the forum!

• Thanks 1

The reason people consider a sequel "Disappointing" when it makes less than its predecessor is that folks generally weigh losses more than gains, which often times leads to reaching illogical conclusions, the psychology of this is important to understand IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't know how moving the goalposts on returns is beneficial to the discussion but If we want to talk about impressive returns then a movie like IT making $700M worldwide with a tiny budget (according to a source that may or may not be reliable) of $35M is more impressive to me than any of these huge 'blockbuster' type movies.  

This discussion started because people are unhappy with the reception CM is getting on these boards.  What type of reception should it be getting? What does it warrant?  I agree it warrants more than a "meh" but what should everyone be saying?  Wow, greatest run ever? It's a good run,  even a great run, that's fair.  Leave it at that. 

I am out of likes so...

Image result for applause gif

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Ever heard of variables? Films have production costs ranging from $10,000 to $300 million+ and global marketing and theatrical distribution costs ranging from $10 million to $200 million+. Different genres have varying levels of commercial potential, especially across different countries. Some films start from scratch, some are adaptations and some are successive franchise entries; all 3 require different levels of marketing and on average have varying levels of commercial potential.

Again you and others have brought this up but the problem is we do not have all of the costs detailed in front of us. We are guessing based on maybe one good source....  maybe..   if that...    I don't like spending a lot of time on something where I can't look at the raw numbers. There were people saying such and such movie needs to make oh $900M to break even and I'm thinking okay,  maybe Deadline has a source on that but where is the actual numbers?  If the numbers aren't in front of me then I'm not too interested in discussing that. 

From my point of view many people in BOT are not happy that CM got this good reception. 

Whatever you want to call it. 

CM was the first introduction of new character unlike Aquaman and BP and still made it to 1B+

Besides its budget is only 152M less than AQ and BP. So suck it up. 😁😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Agree totally to It

Nope, the discussion started around a week back when certain people tried to proof a certain mp can only mean this and not also that.

Formulated partly in absolute wordings, summary a bit like:

if an mp is lets say 2.2 it can only mean the movie is bad in the POV of all

For some the discussion is ongoing, for some, who might have missed the posts at other places, the discussion was about a bit another focus, like comparing high OW in one month to lower OW at another month, but both with the ~ same end-result .... as said a bit criss-cross

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

The point was, those chart profiles show 90% of Marvel movies have the same profile. So we can predict with some accuracy what it is going to end up at, which currently is around 405m.

What we don't know is what effect EG is going to have. It may have a positive or negative effect.

Why would EG have a negative effect on a marvel property? It’s done nothing but boost the success of CM.

6 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Moving the goalposts? You mean doing the intelligent thing?

Sorry I don't think the "intelligent" thing to do is play around with numbers that aren't in front of us. We can play around with the box office numbers because that is reported to us.  I can't play around with a number that might be $155M but might also be $200M but because of tax breaks might be less and so and so on. 

If you want to have that discussion that's fine,  that's not a conversation I want to have unless I have the data in front of me. Good day. 

Having different responses to different movies' box office is just how it is. 600 million ww was a bomb for JL but 500 something million was a success for Kong: Skull Island because it's different properties, budgets, expectations etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People keep saying that CM is not a sequel, and it is true.

However, nobody can deny that it was indeed marketed/pushed as a very important  follow-up to IW and a "connector" if you will between a 2-billion dollar grosser and the sure-to-gross 2 billion, highly anticipated final entry in an insanely successful series of movies that have an overarching narrative thread through all of them. Of course CM making a billion dollars is impressive but let's not act as if it did not have some built-in advantages that say, Iron Man, the first GOTG and Wonder Woman did not have. And considering the fact that CM's reviews were not as glowing as WW's, GOTG's or Iron Man's, it just gives you an added perspective to assess its financial success. That assessment does not have to be a negative critique or a slam against the  CM film. It is simply more food for thought/discussion. 

10 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Why would EG have a negative effect on a marvel property? It’s done nothing but boost the success of CM.

And I definitely agree. It is not the only reason for CM's success, of course, but it helped.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

30 minutes ago, Matthew said:

From my point of view many people in BOT are not happy that CM got this good reception. 

Whatever you want to call it. 

CM was the first introduction of new character unlike Aquaman and BP and still made it to 1B+

Besides its budget is only 152M less than AQ and BP. So suck it up. 😁😁

Edited by Life goes on
  • Like 2