CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

This is a perfect marriage of director and concept. IDK if the film will be for everyone but financially, Baz will get the most out money out of this concept.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:37 AM, Krissykins said:

What’s the budget for Elvis? 

It looks expensive. Great Gatsby cost $105m and Australia was $130m. 

Australia cost $130m?? As one of six people who saw that movie, what on earth did he spend it on???

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve no idea, I didn’t see it 😂

Maybe the two leads were paid extremely well

bombing of Darwin scene must have been pretty expensive

13 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Australia cost $130m?? As one of six people who saw that movie, what on earth did he spend it on???

On 5/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Krissykins said:

Unfortunately, Elvis cost $200m.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/05/26/elvis-premiere-cannes-film-festival-reviews-baz-luhrmann-austin-butler/9941645002/

Edited by LegendaryBen
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:
  On 5/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Krissykins said:

Unfortunately, Elvis cost $200m.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/05/26/elvis-premiere-cannes-film-festival-reviews-baz-luhrmann-austin-butler/9941645002/

Holy cow, I hope that's not the real budget, otherwise I don't see it making any profit

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect the $200m is Australian dollars but keep in mind they got a fair amount of tax incentives which will reduce the budget down, I believe they got 40% tax break just for filming it in Queensland. 

This was obviously intended as a Q4 release where a leggy, prolonged award season run/rerelease would have been possible. Moving to late June, in my opinion, does limit its potential a bit. But the reviews look great, the marketing is really picking up. I think this does well either way. The real money for WB with this could be whatever they do with Austin Butler next. Supposedly he ie going to be in DUNE 2. This is an obvious star-making role - if they plop him in the right series or franchise, his profile will help it significantly. 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This was obviously intended as a Q4 release where a leggy, prolonged award season run/rerelease would have been possible. Moving to late June, in my opinion, does limit its potential a bit. But the reviews look great, the marketing is really picking up. I think this does well either way. The real money for WB with this could be whatever they do with Austin Butler next. Supposedly he ie going to be in DUNE 2. This is an obvious star-making role - if they plop him in the right series or franchise, his profile will help it significantly. 

Keep in mind that WB released The Great Gatsby, Baz' previous film in the summer and it did gangbusters so they're likely hoping to repeat that.

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Keep in mind that WB released The Great Gatsby, Baz' previous film in the summer and it did gangbusters so they're likely hoping to repeat that.

Moulin Rouge! was also supposed to be a Christmas 2000 release and ended up bumped to Summer 2001. Seems to Baz's MO by now.

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

No it wasn't. It was first scheduled for release Oct 21, then Nov 21, then June 3rd 22

11 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

No it wasn't. It was first scheduled for release Oct 21, then Nov 21, then June 3rd 22

Oct and Nov are Q4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LegendaryBen said:

For now, I'm thinking Elvis will need at least a $40m opening to cross the $100m mark due the 45-day theatrical window by HBO MAX.

I think it will be lucky to do half that.

Wonder how it will perform overseas - I don't think Elvis is as prominent overseas as Queen or Elton John. 

4 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I think it will be lucky to do half that.

Wonder how it will perform overseas - I don't think Elvis is as prominent overseas as Queen or Elton John. 

If that were to happen, it's very possible The Black Phone could upset that weekend.