sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

9 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

In its original form? Interesting, i always assumed that they wont show it anymore in the US (the drunken underage main character being the least pressing issue :) )

From what I remembered. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

What are the PC issues? The racist crows and children going on an acid trip?

Actually, is there a version of the "pink elephants on parade" scene in Burton's version? Now that's something I might wanna see.

People nowadays are too fucking delicate to be able to watch the original Dumbo and not be offended.

• Like 2

There’s a song in the beginning called Song of the Roustabouts that could be interpreted as being not quite PC.  

I will say in defense of the crows along with Timothy Mouse they’re among the smarter characters in the film

• Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, dudalb said:

50 Million for a 170 Million dollar film is not all that great.

I see people still like to proclaim a film is doing "really good" without looking at the cost.

50 million is domestic... WW predictions are upwards of $130M. It's undeniable that this movie is at least gonna hit $250M WW which would be breaking even. It's not doing really good but it's the most I expect for an ancient rarely promoted property. 

• Like 1

Spent the day at the theatre.  Saw three movies and liked them all.  

First was Gloria Bell.  Excellent film for people my age.  Julianne Moore should get an Oscar nomination for this one.  Turturro was good too.  Great cast and a terrific story of the difficulties of dating post divorce.  

Second was Hotel Mumbai.  Powerful but bleak film about true events.  Almost brought me to tears.

Third was Dumbo.  The beginning was bothersome because of the assholes in the story but it's a good movie with a strong message about how barbaric it is to animals in captivity.  Enjoyed this one.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

First was Gloria Bell.  Excellent film for people my age.  Julianne Moore should get an Oscar nomination for this one.  Turturro was good too.  Great cast and a terrific story of the difficulties of dating post divorce.  

Second was Hotel Mumbai.  Powerful but bleak film about true events.  Almost brought me to tears.

Third was Dumbo.  The beginning was bothersome because of the assholes in the story but it's a good movie with a strong message about how barbaric it is to animals in captivity.  Enjoyed this one.

Sounds like a good day lol. Can't wait till it's summer and I can afford to do double/triple features again.

• Like 1

Dumbo was good by the way. Not on the level of Jungle Book, but probably just a notch below Cinderella, right around BatB (imo) and a step up from Burton's last Disney live-action. 

Was a little disappointed by the score though. Maybe it's just cause it was hyped up, but nothing really stood out on its own beyond complimenting some of the scenes pretty well. Nothing I would just listen to on its own. 

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sounds like a good day lol. Can't wait till it's summer and I can afford to do double/triple features again.

Oh I only paid for the first movie.  This theatre is awesome for going theatre jumping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dumbo was good by the way. Not on the level of Jungle Book, but probably just a notch below Cinderella, right around BatB (imo) and a step up from Burton's last Disney live-action. 

Was a little disappointed by the score though. Maybe it's just cause it was hyped up, but nothing really stood out on its own beyond complimenting some of the scenes pretty well. Nothing I would just listen to on its own. 

When you say BATB, that does not instill confidence in me at all.  I believe BATB was a  pretty nice looking movie, but  it sucked the soul out of the original animated movie all the while expanding stuff that no one besides Cinemasins wanted to be expanded. I hate what they did to Gaston in particular. He was one of the most fun characters in the original and the remake sucked the charm out of him.

Plus Hermione here can't sing to save her life.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

When you say BATB, that does not instill confidence in me at all.  I believe BATB was a  pretty nice looking movie, but  it sucked the soul out of the original animated movie all the while expanding stuff that no one besides Cinemasins wanted to be expanded. I hate what they did to Gaston in particular. He was one of the most fun characters in the original and the remake sucked the charm out of him.

Eh... I liked it. Felt kinda magical watching it imo, the dance scene was gorgeous, and the last act as a whole was pretty great. Not a perfect movie obvs, but I enjoyed it enough, as I did Dumbo. Guess we just have differences of opinion. 

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to go to the theater.... first time since we took the kids to Grinch back in November. 

Captain Marvel was great. What was even better was the $8.66 cost for both tickets...  one perk of living in a small town. 

Dumbo is doing fine given the lack of big buzz the last couple of weeks. Finding it difficult to get jazzed by the box office of late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

That's what I liked most about Dumbo too.

• Like 2

The Dumbo crows are not just anti PC, they are flat out racist. This isn't a matter of being over sensitive. I swear some of the posters on here would be accusing black people of being over sensitive if they called Birth of a Nation racist.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

People nowadays are too fucking delicate to be able to watch the original Dumbo and not be offended.

Maybe it's because the crows in Dumbo are racist as shit?  One of them is literally named "Jim Crow."  This isn't a matter of people being too delicate, this is a matter of the original movie having instances of racism that hold up terribly today (and were probably still pretty bad back then).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

50 million is domestic... WW predictions are upwards of $130M. It's undeniable that this movie is at least gonna hit $250M WW which would be breaking even. It's not doing really good but it's the most I expect for an ancient rarely promoted property. 

250m would not be breaking even.

• Like 2