CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

expect the score to go down once for American critics see it

Many American critics have already seen it and a fair amount thought it was alright. Usually after about 20 or 30 reviews RT scores tend to stabilize, Sonic 2 has remained at around a 63% for the past few days with more reviews currently being added, so I don't see there being any drastic shifts in this movies score

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

30/50

A significant improvement on Crimes, at the very least. And unlike Crimes, it had no goodwill to fall back on. I still think this will be a big hit among the fanbase.

Well, it is currently equaling Crimes at this point, 30/50. The next 10-20 reviews will be key.

Very interesting about what caused the Brazil change.

It seemed that it was mostly due to COVID and not the initial script change that forced them to go from Brazil to Bhutan. Eddie says that they could have built the sets but due to covid, the timing was that they were forced to shoot during terrible weather in winter so it was changed to Bhutan. Shame. 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Well, it is currently equaling Crimes at this point, 30/50. The next 10-20 reviews will be key.

Its average rating has remained steady while Crimes kept freefalling. Worst-case scenario this falls to 50%, but no way lower.

Critics have decided to hate on this series and it's really too bad. I get it, they had to milk the Harry Potter cow until the trio comes of age to continue the adventures (19 years later -  the WB execs probably had a heart attack when they read the Epilogue of Deathly Hallows because it really tied their hands with regard to further sequels), but I just hope they gave it another chance.

Much of the hate stems from the different takes/political stances on the cases of Johnny Depp, Ezra Miller and J.K. Rowling and not from the movies themselves.

As I see the FB future shaping, there will be none. With a probably Rotten score and a box office performance even more disappointing than CoG, we can't possibly expect FB4 and 5.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Its average rating has remained steady while Crimes kept freefalling. Worst-case scenario this falls to 50%, but no way lower.

I think this and Sonic 2 will get roughly the same score. As of right now this movie has about 50 reviews, and among the top critics thus far its fairly split, with an average rating of 6/10. Although, the vast majority of RT approved critics these days are youtubers, podcasters, and bloggers who tend to be a little more forgiving than those who work for the big trades like Variety, New York Times, etc.

The score may fluctuate a bit but I think it'll say in the 60's when it's all said and done. And the audience scores will be fairly high too, if Morbius can have a 70% audience score with such a low critic score than this movie can definitely get into the 80s and even low 90s.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Like 1

Not a great reception, though I'm honestly skeptical that the film is as confusing as some critics make out. I do kind of wonder if this is it for the Fantastic Beast series; if it gets a mediocre critical reception (it's feeling lukewarm at the moment) and the audience don't turn up for it... we'll see. I'm shocked that one misfire film could be so damaging to a long-running series. 

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

Critics have decided to hate on this series and it's really too bad. I get it, they had to milk the Harry Potter cow until the trio comes of age to continue the adventures (19 years later -  the WB execs probably had a heart attack when they read the Epilogue of Deathly Hallows because it really tied their hands with regard to further sequels), but I just hope they gave it another chance.

Much of the hate stems from the different takes/political stances on the cases of Johnny Depp, Ezra Miller and J.K. Rowling and not from the movies themselves.

The second movie got bad reviews because it was a bad movie. It revealved that the franchise didn't really have a clue what it was doing and that made it hard to get excited for future installments. No idea what this one's like as I likely won't see it unless I'm channel-hopping, but it isn't just critics being annoyed at individual actors/writers.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, DarkSkies said:

Not a great reception, though I'm honestly skeptical that the film is as confusing as some critics make out. I do kind of wonder if this is it for the Fantastic Beast series; if it gets a mediocre critical reception (it's feeling lukewarm at the moment) and the audience don't turn up for it... we'll see. I'm shocked that one misfire film could be so damaging to a long-running series. 

It was so damaging because it lacked a concrete identity.

14 hours ago, lab276 said:

Potter, like some of the other greats of the 2000s (POTC, LOTR) should probably have been left there. I know we live in an IP world these days, but that doesn't mean beating these franchises to death is a good thing. Dreamworks not making anymore Shrek movies after the fourth one was a wise move.

The IP still brings in billions of dollars each year between books, movies (a whole new generation is starting to discover them), merchandise, theme parks (joint ventures between Universal Parks & Resorts and WB that both profit from equally due to all the licensing), etc. almost 11 years after the last movie came out. It's the Star Wars of its time, really. They were never not gonna exploit the IP on the big screen further, someway somehow.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The IP still brings in billions of dollars each year between books, movies (a whole new generation is starting to discover them), merchandise, theme parks (joint ventures between Universal Parks & Resorts and WB that both profit from equally due to all the licensing), etc. almost 11 years after the last movie came out. It's the Star Wars of its time, really. They were never not gonna exploit the IP on the big screen further, someway somehow.

Watch SoD.

Back to 60's with 57 reviews.

SoD is at 60% on RT and 47 on MT.
Sonic 2 is at 65% on RT and 44 on MT.
I don't think Warner was expecting an 80/90, a film that is as well received as Sonic 2 (at least from what I've read of it in France) or Uncharted by the public can also be the case for SoD.
What you really need to look at will be the Cinemascore.

• Like 2