Eric S'ennui

Megalopolis l Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

To me a closer comparison than The Tree of Life, which was basically autobiography in the familiar-but-pushed-to-the-extreme Malick style, seems to be Cloud Atlas (ambitious, philosophically blunt science fiction passion project with a nine-figure budget that had to be raised outside of Hollywood). Hopefully this can find a bigger audience.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Shame on Discussing Film for trying to spread a very obvious hit piece and gossip intentionally published days before the movie's premiere, no need to give twitter goblins extra food.

Edited by TomThomas

A screening for executives happens, the next day an article pops up attacking the movie

A trailer drop, the next day an article pops up with a lot of unnamed people attacking both the production and the director over “allegedly” bad behavior.

Yeah i’m sorry but this reports seems very organized at this point, maybe to pressure Coppola to sell the movie cheaper than what he’s asking. 

• Like 4

I can’t speak to any allegations about inappropriate behavior, but comments from random anonymous crew-members about the quality of a movie from their experiences of the shoot is absurd. The crew on Star Wars were convinced it was gonna be a terrible movie. The production problems on Apocalypse Now are legendary. Same with Titanic. None of this babble has anything to do with whether a movie will be “good” or not (putting aside what “good” even means — obviously some movies are divisive).

Quotes about Coppola being “inefficient” by choosing older production techniques are particularly ridiculous. It’s his money, why should anyone care how he’s spending it?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This looks good. I'll be there opening weekend, whenever that is. I feel like they should go for Nov/Dec release in the US, but maybe FFC doesn't want to wait that long, especially if it's getting dist in Europe in Sept. 

25 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

I can't believe the guy who defended Victor Salva is actually a terrible human being, truly shocked.

Guess what?  Everyone has the potential to be a terrible human being.  And everyone also has a heart.  Try not to judge something that you didn't witness first-hand.  

• Like 1

Nothing about this director or film should be surprising. Sometimes terrible old men who haven’t made good films in years act terribly and don’t make good films.

The real question is why do people bend over backwards to defend them and assume their films will be masterpieces.

• Like 1

Just now, Speedorito said:

Nothing about this director or film should be surprising. Sometimes terrible old men who haven’t made good films in years act terribly and don’t make good films.

The real question is why do people bend over backwards to defend them and assume their films will be masterpieces.

I can't speak for the personal allegations, but I equally don't think people should assume he didn't make a good film because a bunch of corporate suits found it too hard to market. These guys would have put Apocalypse Now on the third carousel of Hulu.

People appreciate someone going for it and taking a big swing in an era where we need it, even if it turns out to be not great.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Guess what?  Everyone has the potential to be a terrible human being.  And everyone also has a heart.  Try not to judge something that you didn't witness first-hand.  

Huh? Salva is a convicted sex offender.

Coppola has consistently put his money where his mouth is. Putting up his own estate to get a film made.

That boldness was both rewarded (Apocalypse Now) and punished (One From the Heart). The latter put him in debt for the next decade and forced him into finally making The Godfather Part III.

And yet... here he is. Doing it once again. God bless him for that.

As for the allegations... I also find the timing convenient and some of said allegations border on "Get the fuck outta here" - a la getting high on set. A set and crew that are 100% on his own dime. So shut up, do what he says and take the money.

As for the film itself... I absolutely get why no studio or streamer wants to touch this based on what we've seen. 

But I love what I see and will be there the first chance I get to see this on the biggest screen possible.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

So you were on set? Or you just blindly believe every hit piece out there?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So you were on set? Or you just blindly believe every hit piece out there?

I like how you (and others) assume it’s a hit piece because it’s not what you want to hear. I don’t personally have to witness events in order for them to have actually happened. What kind of logic is that?

I’m not sure why people are magically inclined to believe a guy who very casually defended his buddy/convicted sex offender for molesting a young boy (and told the boy he would never work in Hollywood again for speaking out against his friend) over easily replaceable people on set. But people love nothing more than stroking the egos of men who happened to make something good a long time ago and nothing good ever since.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Again, what constitutes calling Coppola here a "terrible old man"?  As if there was a career-long series of personal bad behavior?  Please show me the evidence.  And no one is "bending over backwards" here, most of us haven't seen the film, yet.  Let it be seen, then judge.  As far as everything else, well... you pick your own battles, I guess...  🤷‍♂️