Eric Duncan

Megalopolis l Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

https://deadline.com/2019/04/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-directing-this-year-1202588167/

EXCLUSIVE: On the eve of his 80th birthday, Francis Ford Coppola is ready to embark on one of his dream projects. He plans to direct Megalopolis, a sprawling film as ambitious as Apocalypse Now, that he has been plotting for many years. Coppola revealed this to me today. He has his script, and he has begun speaking informally to potential stars. I’ve heard Jude Law’s name among those who might potentially be in the movie. I have much to report about Coppola’s dream project, and I got to view some of the second unit footage he shot after announcing the project in Cannes, before the terror attacks of 9/11 — the film is set in New York and is an architect’s attempt to create a utopia in the city, combated by the mayor — ground progress on the film to a halt.

“So yes, I plan this year to begin my longstanding ambition to make a major work utilizing all I have learned during my long career, beginning at age 16 doing theater, and that will be an epic on a grand scale, which I’ve entitled Megalopolis,” Coppola told me today. “It is unusual; it will be a production on a grand scale with a large cast. It makes use of all of my years of trying films in different styles and types culminating in what I think is my own voice and aspiration. It is not within the mainstream of what is produced now, but I am intending and wishing and in fact encouraged, to begin production this year.”

Pretty surprised by this.

I thought Coppola was pretty much done with film and was happy with his wine company (apparently he has made a lot more money from his winery then he ever did from his movies) but if this actually happens I will be there oponeing night.

Yes, Coppola has made some films that weren't very good, but The first two GOdfather films are enough to secure his place as one of the great directors. And he has made others that weren't too shabby like Apocalypse Now.

"I wonder who will distribute it, and how they will distribute it. I understand that Martin Scorsese's The Irishman had trouble getting investment. We'll see what happens with this."

-- some guy named 'Slambros' that has yet to see Apocalypse Now

Maybe the studio boss who turns thumb downs  on this wakes up one morning with a Horse's Head in his bed.....

I love that the desk Copolla uses at his office at his winery at Napa is the same one used by Marlon Brando and later Al Pacino in Godfather/Godfather 2.

Edited by dudalb

864A10AA-730E-45C5-8893-85A0DA7931A8.jpe

It’s been confirmed (via a Prod Weekly listing) that Forest Whitaker, Cate Blanchett, Jon Voight, Zendaya, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange, and James Caan will all star in Francis Ford Coppola’s “Megalopolis.”

Filming will take place September 12 - February 1 in New York. That’s a whopping 6 months of shooting. Coppola isn’t messing around with his long-gestating passion project. This is said to be an epic film and production will be just as epic.

The listing even has an actual plot synopsis for the film

”A New York mayor is at odds with a real estate tycoon who plans to use an innovative low-cost plastic to build a utopia called “Megalopolis.”

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/5/4w1cz4t4fq0vzvwbepiwoq1ca4ltsh

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

The listing even has an actual plot synopsis for the film

”A New York mayor is at odds with a real estate tycoon who plans to use an innovative low-cost plastic to build a utopia called “Megalopolis.”

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/5/4w1cz4t4fq0vzvwbepiwoq1ca4ltsh

Hopefully it is not, but it sounds very Randian - like a mix of Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead.