Eric Duncan

News of the World l Christmas Day 2020 | Universal l Tom Hanks stars l Paul Greengrass directs

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-hanks-film-news-world-moves-fox-2000-universal-1200566

The Tom Hanks-starrer News of the World is making the jump to Universal from the recently shuttered Fox 2000.

Paul Greengrass is set to direct Hanks in the adaptation of the Paulette Jiles novel set in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Luke Davies, who penned Lion, wrote the script that tells of a widowed news reader who travels from town to town in Texas announcing the news of the times. He is given a handsome sum to deliver a young orphan girl, whose parents were killed by a Native American tribe who then raised her as their own, to her family in San Antonio. The duo travel 400 miles through dangerous terrain, slowly developing a bond that will be tested when the man must give the girl up to relatives that not only don’t want her but have abusive plans for her. 

News of the World is the first project to make the jump from Fox, post-merger.

Edited by Eric!

It definitely sounds interesting:

• Tom Hanks doing (what sounds like) a Western
  • Paul Greengrass, king of shaky-cam (though maybe he's toning it down for this one)
  • The story sounds interesting

I'll definitely be seeing it when it comes out.

46 minutes ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

I highly doubt this will be coming out anytime soon. 

Eh, Universal have their AMC/VOD deal. They've already announced that the croods 2/freaky are coming out on VOD a couple weeks after whatever theatrical release they can muster. i think the same thing can happen here. it's probably not too expensive like your bonds/fast and furiouses.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Eh, Universal have their AMC/VOD deal. They've already announced that the croods 2/freaky are coming out on VOD a couple weeks after whatever theatrical release they can muster. i think the same thing can happen here. it's probably not too expensive like your bonds/fast and furiouses.

I'll add that, from the teaser, it doesn't look as expensive as the blockbusters being delayed. It looks like they shot on location with a handheld camera. And Tom Hanks being the film's only big star probably helps.

This looks great. Probably wouldn't have done more than 50M in a non-COVID world, but if I'm being completely honest, barring what happens with the Virus in America this fall, I could see this being the type of film that does get hit too bad.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/11/news-of-the-world-tom-hanks-paul-greengrass-netflix-international-release-universal-1234613340/

EXCLUSIVE: While there has been question about big movies holding their theatrical release dates around the holidays in this COVID-19 moment, Universal’s News of the World is solidifying a plan to release theatrically in the U.S., while getting its international release through Netflix. Deadline hears that the Paul Greengrass-directed period drama that stars Tom Hanks is making a deal to have its overseas distribution handled through Netflix, which has done this on some other pictures but not on one this large.

The deal is being sewn up as we speak, and this will be good news for theaters in the U.S. as the picture launches its way into Oscar season. The picture will be release on PVOD as early as 17 days following its theatrical release on December 25. It will continue to hold screens. This is possible because of Uni’s deal with AMC, which allows for a hybrid model.

The Netflix deal will keep it eligible for BAFTAs abroad, but it gives the picture a vast global audience. It is an intriguing model for distribution as the business fights its way through the limitations of the coronavirus pandemic.

• Like 3