Napoleon

Marry Me | February 11, 2022 in Theaters and on Peacock | Universal | Jennifer Lopez, Owen Wilson, Maluma

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

Universal are releasing what clearly is a made-for-Netflix movie into cinemas worldwide. Let's see how this plays out for them

Jesus Christ...and people were mad JLo was not nominated for an Oscar a few years ago. Can't act for shit

The movie looks cute tho, ngl

On 11/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, AJG said:

Universal are releasing what clearly is a made-for-Netflix movie into cinemas worldwide. Let's see how this plays out for them

So even they knew there was no hope for this movie theatrically.

42 minutes ago, AJG said:

So even they knew there was no hope for this movie theatrically.

OTOH, Peacock Premium isn't exactly Netflix or HBO Max... If it "underperforms" at the box office, it has the "...but streaming!" out, and if it opens to $15m or more, they can say it's good for the genre, considering the times.

I am absolutely going to watch this and also look forward to it airing back-to-back with The Wedding Planner on E! or Bravo in the years to come.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

This news actually comes just days after Universal said this would be among the movies that would be on Peacock 45 days after theaters so clearly they can change their minds on certain titles if they want. This is the second of three movies the studio is putting out in February (the others being Scott Derrickson's The Black Phone and Michael Bay's Ambulance) so if they end up altering the release plans for those as well...

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Urgh, I had hoped we were safe from these kind of releases. Back to square one. 

Yeah, 2022 was free of day-and-date releases before this, with Matrix 4 looking like it was going to be the last one. Guess Universal is knocking the first domino over. Seems they're never gonna completely commit to as much of a regular marketplace as possible for recovery's sake.

I fully expect Downton Abbey: A New Era to go day-and-date on Peacock as well now, given how reluctant the older demographic has been to return to theaters.

I said it earlier this weekend, but I think (could be wrong of course, don't yell at me) these day-and-date hybrid releases will be a mainstay, specifically for comedies and indies and awards fare and kidpics. Not just because the demos for those movies just aren't coming out at all (who knows if they ever will), but folks in general see theaters more as a vessel to watch big-screen action-adventure titles (like a theme park :ph34r:). At the end of the day, you can still see them on the big screen, so it's better than nothing.

• Sad 1

I imagine Spielberg's The Fabelmans will be exempt from a day-and-date Peacock launch, as will She Said (which is destined to be among the most talked-about movies of 2022) in all likelihood. Bros will also likely get a 45-day window at a minimum to show their commitment to big screen diversity unless Billy Eichner is on board with a day-and-date launch. There's been reports recently that Universal is pretty committed to pleasing their talent, hence how they were able to easily pry Nolan away from WB finally (that plus reports of Nolan and WB falling out over the handling of Tenet long before the HBO Max stuff).

Edited by filmlover