Water Bottle

***SPOILERS***Detective Pikachu***SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD***SPOILERS THREAD*** | Pika Pika?

• Community Manager

Solid B movie. The plot is kinda...wack and weak but the worldbuilding is great. Some of the action scenes work (the Pokemon battles) but others land flat (like the escape from the mountain Pokemon). Nice use of new and old Pokemon (even if I'm not familiar with some of the new Pokemon...must play more Pokemon!). I thought some of the changes they made from the Detective Pikachu video game were bad and some were good.

Honestly, with that script, maybe Michael Bay was the ideal director for this. 

16 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

No. Which is odd because the video game sets up a sequel. If anything, it does the opposite!

I wonder if they'll go with a different direction for a sequel or perhaps adapt a different game like Mystery Dungeon.

Looks like 40mil movie tops. The CGI is the worst I've seen since 1994.

Which is terrible - but I thought at least was gonna help it at the BO. Was terrified when I found out today budget was 150m!!! (Alita made like 200 times more with similar budget!!) How did they manage to murder so much money?? They will never repay this at the BO.

Only good thing in the whole movie is RR - and they've shown all of him in the trailers. (The pseudo cyberpunk setting is not bad - but only for 15 minutes or something.) Third act is just bad-kind-batshit-crazy. I almost left the cinema earlier.

A deserved flop, and it won't win any first place in anything - but it really had a chance to be much better than this.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I'm wondering how the ending is going to affect rewatchability for the GA, I felt my whole theater go WTF at it. I feel it changes the nature of their relationship and cheapens it from the premise, even though it was obviously the direction they were going from the beginning. I'll post again my feelings after a rewatch.

Edited by redgarlic
Typo

13 minutes ago, redgarlic said:

I'm wondering how the ending is going to affect rewatchability for the GA, I felt my whole theater go WTF at it. I feel it changes the nature of their relationship and cheapens it from the premise, even though it was obviously the direction they were going from the beginning. I'll post again my feelings after a rewatch.

I liked it, it does make me think what they plan on doing for the sequel which is already being written by 21 jump street writer. Ryan Reynolds is definitely attached, they even talk about all the adventures he can have. I feel like they'll have Mewtwo reappear and say Ryan has to go into Pikachu again for another adventure and BAM Detective Pikachu 2.

Whom do you think will be the big focus of the sequel? I would say the 3 legendary birds and maybe Mew.

Edited by Cappoedameron

• Community Manager
21 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I liked it, it does make me think what they plan on doing for the sequel which is already being written by 21 jump street writer. Ryan Reynolds is definitely attached, they even talk about all the adventures he can have. I feel like they'll have Mewtwo reappear and say Ryan has to go into Pikachu again for another adventure and BAM Detective Pikachu 2.

Whom do you think will be the big focus of the sequel? I would say the 3 legendary birds and maybe Mew.

At this stage, the script will probably be rewritten like 50 times. Wouldn't be surprised if they have other writers come in and work on the script as well. 

22 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

If they leave him in Pikachu's body then we'd have a deal...

There are many, many ways they may go from here. Appealing to the nostalgia, maybe Ho-oh or Mew. Obviously everyone knows that the most powerful Pokemon is actually (Mega) Rayquaza, it would be cool to see the been three trio involved in something.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, redgarlic said:

If they leave him in Pikachu's body then we'd have a deal...

There are many, many ways they may go from here. Appealing to the nostalgia, maybe Ho-oh or Mew. Obviously everyone knows that the most powerful Pokemon is actually (Mega) Rayquaza, it would be cool to see the been three trio involved in something.

If the plan is to do a whole cinematic universe, do you want a Detective Pikachu movie focusing on (Mega) Raquaza? If it's going to be only Detective Pikachu, sure do whatever you want. But you don't want DP taking all the legendary Pokemon and leaving spin-off titles with nothing. Especially if they decide to do a more....traditional...Pokemon adventure movie.

Ditto and the Torterra were high points for me. Being nitpicky a high level Pikachu (with IV, EV and light ball) can defeat a Mewtwo, and Psyduck's headache attack is meant to be psychic type, and therefore shouldn't affect dark type Pokemon as Greninja. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

If the plan is to do a whole cinematic universe, do you want a Detective Pikachu movie focusing on (Mega) Raquaza? If it's going to be only Detective Pikachu, sure do whatever you want. But you don't want DP taking all the legendary Pokemon and leaving spin-off titles with nothing. Especially if they decide to do a more....traditional...Pokemon adventure movie.

To be honest I was considering those more as a finishing (a la Thanos) threat, with Mew as the protagonist in the sequel (the Loki? Ultron?)

• Community Manager
Just now, redgarlic said:

To be honest I was considering those more as a finishing (a la Thanos) threat, with Mew as the protagonist in the sequel (the Loki? Ultron?)

I don't know if a Pokemon Cinematic Universe should follow the template of the MCU with it slowly building up to a big threat? I guess I have to see what other movies they plan to do and what the crossover potential is. 

God I really want to see Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos in the next one and my fav Lugia but I feel like they'd wait for Lugia and Ho-oh.

BTW whom else loved the design of Totodile, it was just a still but he looked flipping adorable. That's one of my fav starters. I squealed. Also Treecko looked adorable as well. 

I'm really excited which Pokemon they'll choose for the sequel and how many they'll do. This one was 60.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1