sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

A 20% jump from Saturday to Sunday is unlikely to be an underestimate:)...

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Snatched did 24% so that looks OK.

I think Captain Marvel with a 31% drop is the big underestimation

Mhmm I was thinking more the Saturday actually, +8.9%.

Breaking In, Life of the Party and Snatched all increased between 23-29% on their Saturdays before going up another 13-28% on Sunday. 

They were all underestimated by 1-2m too. 

Ehh the OS numbers for Pikachu are okay in certain markets but what really killed it is some of the bigger markets like South Korea where it downright bombed. 

Will see how legs fair for it. But I def think if they want to make future movies, they have to control the budget for the next one. Maybe now that they have the models for the Pokemon, it'll cost less in the future? I don't know. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Ehh the OS numbers for Pikachu are okay in certain markets but what really killed it is some of the bigger markets like South Korea where it downright bombed. 

Will see how legs fair for it. But I def think if they want to make future movies, they have to control the budget for the next one. Maybe now that they have the models for the Pokemon, it'll cost less in the future? I don't know. 

Detective Pikachu 2 seems like a prime target to pull a Lego Movie 2. Would be very wary tbh.

Just now, MrPink said:

Detective Pikachu 2 seems like a prime target to pull a Lego Movie 2. Would be very wary tbh.

Sorry I should have been more specific considering I don't see a direct sequel happening given the ending of the original. But future live action Pokemon movies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

Considering people thought 300 million domestic was a reach before Black Panther released, does it really matter? It shattered every expectation and then some. Nothing takes away from the incredible box office run of that film. As a standalone original entry nonetheless which makes it even more remarkable.

Decent hold for Endgame this weekend. If that Sunday hold for Pikachu transpires, solid outing for it as well.

It was truly amazing shattering all expectations in DOM and then just great Overseas. CM was killed in DOM by 275 million yet it grossed 55 million more overseas. Still seems crazy to me. Can't believe that OS was lower than DOM.

If today's numbers at my local AMC are any indication - they have certainly been unrepresentative all weekend, though - Endgame, The Hustle and Poms are all underestimated today while Pikachu and Long Shot are overestimated today.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Anyways, it's time to adapt Anthem, the next video game phenomena, and numbers will be 1 billy easily

I'd watch that. That live action trailer they showed off was alot better than playing the actual game. It looked so cool that i wish it was a movie.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

rank the passable video game movies:

1. Detective Pikachu

2. Resident Evil: Retribution

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

4. Tomb Raider

5. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

6. Resident Evil: Afterlife

7. Assassin's Creed

the rest are either bad or borderline unwatchable

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

Even though what it's just a blip on the box office map, next weekend is a holiday weekend in Canada. It doesn't really seem to be reflected that much in the Sunday or the Monday numbers but the drops next Sunday could be a little bit less than normal.

Please remind us next friday during the first meltdown wave :D

• Like 1

I guess if there’s one key takeaway from this, it’s that a trailer getting a million likes on YouTube doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. Oh well. So much for Pokémon being the next big movie franchise. I guess superhero movies (the MCU to be specific) will continue to be the dominant genre for a while. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Sad 4