sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, I learned yesterday that Sonic isn't a Pokémon. WHAT? I legit thought he was a pokemon that just got so popular he got his own spin off franchise. Like Frasier and Cheers. 

Even I knew that 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

the number of fans who would boycott a Pokémon movie because it has a talking Pokémon must be a VERY small number

You would be surprised. Pokémon makes 2.5 billion a year as IP. That’s a large portion 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Avatar is a Disney property now, so it’d still be a single studio dominating the industry. 

No it's not, please don't spout misinformation people may believe it. Jim/Lightstorm owns the Avatar IP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, I learned yesterday that Sonic isn't a Pokémon. WHAT? I legit thought he was a pokemon that just got so popular he got his own spin off franchise. Like Frasier and Cheers. 

Fucking generation Z.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I genuinely wonder if Godzilla vs. Kong can reach 150M+ OW if Warner markets it as a huge event.  Definitely don't think it's out of the question.

If 'Zilla 2 opens to $80m, then I could see GvK open to $150m..

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

No it's not, please don't spout misinformation people may believe it. Jim/Lightstorm owns the Avatar IP.

But Disney owns the distribution rights to the next four films, which means that they’ll receive a slice of the pie. 

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

We need to get together and play some old-school Sonic. This post legit gave me an aneurysm. 

• Astonished 1

Not gonna lie, CBM being the only ones making dough nowadays is starting to get scary.

(Which is why I never bought the argument of superhero fatigue since people don't seem to be gravitating towards anything else)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not to be a dick, but how could one even think that to begin with? That’s like thinking that Harry Potter is a Star Wars character. 

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I have to agree with you there. DP was a big chance for a new IP to create some variety but of course, it's not a superhero movie so of course nobody wants to see it in theaters. 

I see it less because of that and more because the fans are still somewhat bewildered that it's not either a straight adaptation of the original games or the anime.

Also Danny Devito Pikachu > Ryan Reynolds Pikachu. 

• Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Not to be a dick, but how could one even think that to begin with? That’s like thinking that Harry Potter is a Star Wars character. 

HE'S NOT?!?

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

King of the Monsters should do well but pretty much giant monster fights are the same spectacle as overpowered human being fights.

So people mainly want to to see bigger than life movies at the cinema. Makes sense as you might just as well see anything else comfortably in your home, but a good spectacle requires the big screen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Not gonna lie, CBM being the only ones making dough nowadays is starting to get scary.

(Which is why I never bought the argument of superhero fatigue since people don't seem to be gravitating towards anything else)

US made serious bank. IT 2 will as well.

I hope cinema doesn't just become Superhero Screening Service. Maybe Jim was right for hoping fatigue for the genre... I mean, it's alright when superhero movies do well on their own, but they are now seemingly sucking the life out of all other movies, especially other potential blockbusters. It's not funny or even fodder for banter. It's worrying.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I see it less because of that and more because the fans are still somewhat bewildered that it's not either a straight adaptation of the original games or the anime.

Also Danny Devito Pikachu > Ryan Reynolds Pikachu. 

We'll never know. We're not getting a straight adaptation of the original games or anime.

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

But Disney owns the distribution rights to the next four films, which means that they’ll receive a slice of the pie. 

See that wasn't so hard, very key distinction.

• Like 2