sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

4 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I still have faith in Godzilla 2. Big CGI monster mash should do well in Asia for the same reasons Aquaman did barring some unforeseen localization difficulties or poor quality

The trailer looks suitably epic. It would be a big shocker if it fails in China. The only thing it's missing is Godzilla driving in a car race with Vin Diesel or trading quips with The Rock.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Online audience scores are meaningless 

Maybe, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Dumbo had pretty mixed WOM at best when it dropped 60% in its second weekend and seemed to have a generally unenthusiastic response.  By comparison, Detective Pikachu seems to be faring much better among audiences so far.  I haven't seen anything that indicates the movie is getting a mixed/unenthusiastic response, and pretty much everything I've seen around it has been positive so far

Just now, That One Guy said:

Dumbo had pretty mixed WOM at best when it dropped 60% in its second weekend and seemed to have a generally unenthusiastic response. 

It was just very front-loaded/fanboy heavy.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kitik said:

As if that would magically make it somehow a good result.

Still a complete disaster for a movie that was supposed to blow past 100ow.

There's no saving Flopa-Flopa now.

It was never sniffing 100. 80 would have been a miracle.

It was 45-85. 65 is above forecast for the majority who made predictions right before midnights started.

I don’t even think warner Bros was close to projecting and thinking a billion 

People got caught up trailer views. It was more so the curiosity of pikachu talking then having interest in movie 

does doing half of 1 billion with a 150 million budget make it a flop ?

not at all 

1 minute ago, kitik said:

The trailer looks suitably epic. It would be a big shocker if it fails in China. The only thing it's missing is Godzilla driving in a car race with Vin Diesel or trading quips with The Rock.

I could imagine Dark Phoenix topping it in China ngl...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kitik said:

is it wrong to say that i want to see that

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I don’t even think warner Bros was close to projecting and thinking a billion 

People got caught up trailer views. It was more so the curiosity of pikachu talking then having interest in movie 

does doing half of 1 billion with a 150 million budget make it a flop ?

not at all 

But it may not get to half off $1B. $400M-$425M seems about right.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It was never sniffing 100. 80 would have been a miracle.

It was 45-85. 65 is above forecast for the majority who made predictions right before midnights started.

Where have you been the past 6 months? You seem to have missed some of the bigger predictions.

Anyway since someone mentioned Dark Phoenix, if anyone here is saying Detective Pikachu is underperforming ooh boy, i think Dark Phoneix is going to give them a real underperformance. China is going to have to bail it out since i can see it doing 400 million at best.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Anyway since someone mentioned Dark Phoenix, if anyone here is saying Detective Pikachu is underperforming ooh boy, i think Dark Phoneix is going to give them a real underperformance. China is going to have to bail it out since i can see it doing 400 million at best.

Still better than Shazam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Also from Deadline

United Artists Releasing has MGM’s Dirty Rotten Scoundrels femme reboot The Hustle playing at 3,007 is looking at $12M this weekend. Previews to date have earned $774K. 

By comparison, Life of the Party did 700K last year on the same weekend. Although this one has even worse reviews, so I doubt it'll open better than that film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1