sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

12 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Top 3 video game domestic openings

lara croft 47 million

angry birds 36 million

rampage 35 million 

So Pikachu will still get a record.

But in this case, it's kind of like a prize for "best of the worst".

And for the record, I am not a Pikachu hater. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I think the trailers have all looked FANTASTIC, and seem really charming and fun. I'm totally looking forward to seeing it.

My guess for the multiplier is probably anywhere from 9-11x, so $51M-$62M OW.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I can see $100m total, but not $100m four day

I can’t realistically see Aladdin under $200M DOM. 90s kids will prevent that but the proof for those who want $300M+ DOM isn’t evident. My guess is a Monsters University run DOM/WW

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Trailer views and youtube likes were deceiving as fuck

Yeh, even though it’s only a preview number, that’s my thoughts too, all that “buzz” when the trailer dropped must’ve been from a vocal but small crowd. 

15 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

How did that crummy movie Lara Croft get such a high opening.

It was a time when internet speed of 56kbps was supposed to be great. So people used to go to the movies to get their fix.

1501c446bf03cdf94c54189131f95fb6.jpg

Edited by LexJoker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

My guess for the multiplier is probably anywhere from 9-11x, so $51M-$62M OW.

I can’t realistically see Aladdin under $200M DOM. 90s kids will prevent that but the proof for those who want $300M+ DOM isn’t evident. My guess is a Monsters University run DOM/WW

I think people are over-estimating how big 90's kids will actually show up for it... especially if it's as bad as the early reactions imply. Gonna be like Mary Poppins Returns of 2019

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think people are over-estimating how big 90's kids will actually show up for it... especially if it's as bad as the early reactions imply. Gonna be like Mary Poppins Returns of 2019

Aladdin is one of Disney’s most loved movies and kids remember and know it unlike Dumbo or MPR. TWNW is buzzing decently. Haven’t checked presales in a while due to North Shore dying on me but they seem good. But I do think families are more likely to save for Pets 2 and TS4 and especially TLK not to mention Disney will likely throw it aside in favor of the latter two.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1

Detective Pikachu honestly feels like something that should've opened in the middle of August like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '14 did where it would've had the market all to itself for a while with the lack of family films since it's gonna be dropping theaters like crazy starting in three weeks.

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Dumbo also had bad reviews/bad WOM, while Pikachu has good reviews/good WOM.  That also probably contributed to Dumbo being more frontloaded

So there’s just a 19% difference between “good” and “bad” reviews now 😂 (65% v 46% RT)

That doesn’t leave much room for “mixed” or “average” or “poor” lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Dumbo also had bad reviews/bad WOM, while Pikachu has good reviews/good WOM.  That also probably contributed to Dumbo being more frontloaded

Eh, the reviews  difference isn't that black and white when you look at the avgs. 6.19 v 5.54.  Dumbo even has a slightly higher top critic avg.  And they

respectively 52 and 51 on Metacritic. 

WOM in the US shows more up in legs after ow not during.  Not like China.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

So there’s just a 19% difference between “good” and “bad” reviews now 😂 (65% v 46% RT)

85% audience score vs. 55% audience score.  Even on opening day, Dumbo only had a 60% or so for audiences

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lol, you think things like mixed or average still exist.

You will learn this weekend.

Detective Pikachu will either break every record ever or it will be a complete flop and disaster.

• Haha 3