sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

The Mummy is a great lesson on how not to try to make a cinematic universe just like Amazing Spiderman 2.

Or Batman v Superman before the DCEU was saved by Wonder Woman and recently Aquaman 

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Rampage had 2.4 million Preview and did 35 million 

14.6x multi. Would give PIKA 83 ow. Hope 75+ happens after the all the buzz it kicked off 1st teaser onward.

4 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Again, maybe studios need to stop dropping trailers so freaking early.

They actually have, haven't they?

I think I've seen far fewer "almost a year away" or even "more than a year away" trailers over the past 12-18 months than I have previously.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

A movie about Pokemon that opens to 60 or 70 million is a fantastic opening. The only reason why it's not is because some of you bozos here got ridiculous with your expectations.

Exactly. School is still in session. Sunday will tell the whole story. 

Looking at the numbers of some these other movies 

I’m starting to think shazam is outlier with its preview number

a 5.9 million preview number with 54 million ow was a big underperform and lower multiplayer than most movies with much less reviews 

I don’t get the comparison 

Just now, kitik said:

They actually have, haven't they?

I think I've seen far fewer "almost a year away" or even "more than a year away" trailers over the past 12-18 months than I have previously.

Yeah, that’s good. But in today’s social media goldfish memory age, I wonder if marketing shouldn’t start even later.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I still think Aladdin will do fine. I am not seeing the gloom and doom for it that some are thinking.

I still believe that the First Impressions it made is making some downplay it more than they should. To be fair though, it made a pretty bad first impression. Anyway it still has alot going for it. Popular 90s nostalgic movie, it looks more energetic than Dumbo will ever be, and it has the memorial day weekend. I still think it should make 100 million ow.

I can see $100M four day, but not $100M OW. Besides tracking seems okay for it.

What FSS increases would Endgame need to reach Deadline’s 80-85M? You’d think that they have some kind of information to throw out that number. Then again, I remember their cavernous range from last week of 137-177, even after they had the Friday number. Sometimes, they just needlessly confuse things.

8 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Again, maybe studios need to stop dropping trailers so freaking early.

I agreee with this. Even tho i am excited about the WW1984 trailer, people say it's gonna be released at SDCC....that's way too early imo. People these days have short attention spans. and it's hard to sustain interest/hype

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I can see $100M four day, but not $100M OW. Besides tracking seems okay for it.

I can see $100m total, but not $100m four day

• Haha 2

On one hand, I think that 4 PM previews do make films more frontloaded especially Pikachu and Shazam! but at the same time judging from theaters, past WB family films with 4 PM previews like Smallfoot and Lego 2 Don’t do shit because kids are still in school. Granted Pikachu is way more older skewing but it’s still a PG rated film.

Are people here actually suggesting that Pikachu’s fan base is comparable to Dumbo? Lol, just a few months ago I was responding to people saying Pikachu was a lock for a billion because it had the biggest fan base in the world, even bigger than Star Wars.

I didn’t know dumbo’s fan base was so huge

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Are people here actually suggesting that Pikachu’s fan base is comparable to Dumbo? Lol, just a few months ago I was responding to people saying Pikachu was a lock for a billion because it had the biggest fan base in the world, even bigger than Star Wars.

Dumbo also had bad reviews/bad WOM, while Pikachu has good reviews/good WOM.  That also probably contributed to Dumbo being more frontloaded

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

I only made my account last month so I have no idea what was said about a billion and such but that seem ridiculous from the start 

no video game adaptation has done 140 million domestic yet 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I didn't know Dumbo had a fanbase

• Haha 1