charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:00 AM, HeadShot said:

This is the biggest load of bullshit I ever read. The 2nd biggest grossing movie of 1993 was Mrs. Doubtfire. While EndGame was released during one of the biggest years in blockbusters of all time. 

What are you trying to say? Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive were huge blockbusters in their time. Jurassic Park was simply on a different level. You'll understand when you're older and the industry is dominated by live-action-anime and you're explaining to kids that "no, actually superhero movies were really big in the 2010s!"

2 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

So I'm guessing Titanic/GWTW would be #1/2, and Endgame would be #3 for most tickets sold ever?

Must be quite the task counting GWTW all time admissions.

UK apparently 35 million admissions

Australia around 38M admissions (seem quite high....)

France around 16.7 million admissions

Netherlands: 3.3m

Spain: 1M

Domestic: about what 160M admissions ? (some estimate goes over 200 million but are probably inflated the first run, underestimating the roadshow ticket price)

That 254M ticket from 6 markets (7 countries), we have some notion for how many more markets ?

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Titanic #1

Endgame #2

GWTW #3 

Do you have a breakdown by countries for GWTW ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Must be quite the task counting GWTW all time admissions.

UK apparently 35 million admissions

Australia around 38M admissions (seem quite high....)

France around 16.7 million admissions

Netherlands: 3.3m

Spain: 1M

Domestic: about what 160M admissions ? (some estimate goes over 200 million but are probably inflated the first run, underestimating the roadshow ticket price)

That 254M ticket from 6 markets (7 countries), we have some notion for how many more markets ?

Do you have a breakdown by countries for GWTW ?

It was based on fact that GWTW was thing only in West, with almost negligible numbers in Asia. 

On side note, I recently come to know about the Cinema in China pre 1990s had ridiculous amount of admissions due to mobile/public cinemas. So it is totally likely if some film has over 400mn admissions in China itself. 

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

On side note, I recently come to know about the Cinema in China pre 1990s had ridiculous amount of admissions due to mobile/public cinemas. So it is totally likely if some film has over 400mn admissions in China itself. 

Hard to validate and going from memory, but apparently in the silent era some movie traveled well in that region and well with zero language barrier quite around the world, like the Charlie Chaplin movies, do you know if it is true ?

And it is not like Gone With the Wind premiere was not a big event in Shanghai:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=6WzJq0hForAC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=Shanghai+cinemas+in+December+1941.&source=bl&ots=ZiWjAd485n&sig=ACfU3U3a6FEzTWKanAoYsIi_wj9g_TKhEg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrztmLu5XkAhWOTN8KHQUvCX8Q6AEwDnoECA0QAQ#v=onepage&q=gone with the wind&f=false

The movie get re-released in japan all the time the movie was still getting buzzed premiere in the 90s:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-10-22-ca-2313-story.html (even if it had popular run on piracy)

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It was based on fact that GWTW was thing only in West, with almost negligible numbers in Asia. 

Well that quite speculative to know if how much bigger with the accumulate decade and how much more popular movie theater were in them back in the days in those western market do not make up for it, it was written in a way that felt was based on something. How to know that it is above Star Wars or Avatar ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

-snip-

The world cinema changed in mid 90s, IMO its better to compare the films in these last three decades only.

So I am leaving films released before that out of it. As I said Chinese local films could be different monster altogether. Indian film Sholay has over 325mn admits in just India and USSR. Chinese could be even bigger.

So I worked on Titanic numbers, there is only $50mn worth markets which are left, will try to fill them too soon.

The current total for $2137mn is 386mn admissions. Taking the optimistic estimates, The remaining $50mn would be close to 20mn admissions. That gives 405 million total admissions.

The initial run will be close to 365mn, with 3D re-release accounting for 40mn admissions. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=424252602

That makes Titanic biggest in last 3 decades and Endgame the biggest single run ever.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

So I worked on Titanic numbers, there is only $80mn worth markets which are left, will try to fill them too soon.

The current total for $2107mn is 381mn admissions. Taking the optimistic estimates, The remaining $80mn would be close to 29mn admissions. That gives 410 million total admissions.

The initial run will be close to 370mn, with 3D re-release accounting for 40mn admissions. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit#gid=424252602

That makes Titanic biggest in last 3 decades and Endgame the biggest single run ever.

I found some errors in your list

1.in north america ,Titanic should be 138,162,547,Avatar should be 101,330,274.

2.Titanic should have 18.5 million viewers in India,not 20m+,and EG have 18m+

3.south korea,Titanic 4.89m,not 5m.

4.UAE ,Titanic 0.41m,Avatar 0.66m

5.Taiwan,Avatar should be 4.5m

6.Indonesia ,Titanic maybe 3.2m(I find it in local news)

7.Portugal,Titanic 1.9m,not 1m

8.Sweaden,Titanic 2,235,484,not 430,000

9.Greece,Titanic 1.8m+,not 886,000

10.Uruguay,Titanic 310,000

11.Venezuela,Titanic 2,241,685

12.Egypt,Titanic should be 0.6m

So I worked on Titanic numbers, there is only $80mn worth markets which are left, will try to fill them too soon.

The current total for $2107mn is 381mn admissions. Taking the optimistic estimates, The remaining $80mn would be close to 29mn admissions. That gives 410 million total admissions.

The initial run will be close to 370mn, with 3D re-release accounting for 40mn admissions. 

Here is my result of Titanic admission number

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

NA:138m

EU:115m

East Asia:70m

Southeast Asia:10m

South Asia:19m(Include Pakistan,Nepal)

Middle East:6m(Israel 1.3m,Turkey 2.7m,UAE 0.41m,the other 1.5m)

Africa:2m

LA:50m

Australia+New Zeland:9m

Total:419m

Edited by Steven

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

And I worked on EG and Avatar

EG                                                     Avatar

NA:                                 87m                                                    101m

EU:                                  52m                                                    79m

East Asia:                       110m                                                    56m

Southeasrt Asia:               30m                                                    8m

south Asia:                       19m                                                    9m

Middle East:                     5.5m                                                    5m

Africa:                              1.8m                                                    1.5m

LA:                                   71m                                                    30m

Australia+New Zeland:       6m                                                     8m

Total:                             382m                                                    297.5m

Edited by Steven

41 minutes ago, Steven said:

in north america ,Titanic should be 138,162,547,Avatar should be 101,330,274.

That's not actual admissions, but estimated from the ticket price National average by NATO. The figure I posted is more close to actuals.

Titanic should have 18.5 million viewers in India,not 20m+,and EG have 18m+

I am the source for India, you won't find any better.

south korea,Titanic 4.89m,not 5m.

hardly an difference. My source is Insidekino on this.

.Sweaden,Titanic 2,235,484,not 430,000

That was a typo. Corrected.

Greece,Titanic 1.8m+,not 886,000

http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/film_info/?id=8001&market=GR

47 minutes ago, Steven said:

Indonesia ,Titanic maybe 3.2m(I find it in local news)

7.Portugal,Titanic 1.9m,not 1m

8.Sweaden,Titanic 2,235,484,not 430,000

9.Greece,Titanic 1.8m+,not 886,000

10.Uruguay,Titanic 310,000

11.Venezuela,Titanic 2,241,685

12.Egypt,Titanic should be 0.6m

Thanks for this. Added.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's not actual admissions, but estimated from the ticket price National average by NATO. The figure I posted is more close to actuals.

I am the source for India, you won't find any better.

hardly an difference. My source is Insidekino on this.

That was a typo. Corrected.

http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/film_info/?id=8001&market=GR

Thanks for this. Added.

I have a question,can you tell me where did you find Titanic Russia amission numbers?thanks

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So I worked on Titanic numbers, there is only $50mn worth markets which are left, will try to fill them too soon.

The current total for $2137mn is 386mn admissions. Taking the optimistic estimates, The remaining $50mn would be close to 20mn admissions. That gives 405 million total admissions.

The initial run will be close to 365mn, with 3D re-release accounting for 40mn admissions. 

Hey Charlie, thanks a lot for your researching job, i know it takes a lot of time.

I can´t contrast with my numbers, but i have the feeling that Titanic had sold much mor tickets than EG, for the simple reason that 20 years ago, the counting system was very poor in many countries, but for sure i can´t prove it.

Anyway thanks for all this very interesting comparison game, i really love it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, setna said:

Hey Charlie, thanks a lot for your researching job, i know it takes a lot of time.

I can´t contrast with my numbers, but i have the feeling that Titanic had sold much mor tickets than EG, for the simple reason that 20 years ago, the counting system was very poor in many countries, but for sure i can´t prove it.

Anyway thanks for all this very interesting comparison game, i really love it

Maybe you are right,but this thread is talking about 'admission count',not "which movie is more popular globally?"

16 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

What are you trying to say? Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive were huge blockbusters in their time. Jurassic Park was simply on a different level. You'll understand when you're older and the industry is dominated by live-action-anime and you're explaining to kids that "no, actually superhero movies were really big in the 2010s!"

No one said they weren't big but they simply aren't comparable to the blockbusters of 2019. This is the most packed year yet. How many blockbusters were released in 1993 compared to this year? End Game is bigger than Avatar and DEFINITELY bigger than Jurassic Park.  And lol at thinking anime is going to dominate anything outside of basement dwellers computers. 

Edited by HeadShot