charlie Jatinder

Monday (6/24) Numbers

7 hours ago, MattW said:

A semi-irresponsible extraction from that Monday number says 370-380m for Toy Story.

That's a pretty horrendous multi for well received summer Pixar, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised looking at the animated trend this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Good hold for KOTM. Looks on track for 110 IMO despite big weekend drops.

0.550 (-54.8%), 103.05 on Monday

0.80 (+45%)

0.50 (-37.5%)

0.39 (-22.5%) // big Thu drop like it had last week

0.50 (+27.5%) // haven't been optimistic here either

0.725 (+45%)

0.56 (-22.5%)

= 1.785 (-53.7%) // 106.525

Adding 2.0x more the weekend,

106.525 + 1.785*2.0 = 110.095

One thing I am not sure of is how many screens will it lose tonight as Annabelle comes out and how much of a hit does it take losing screens early in the week as opposed to on Thursday. 

Also, with summer weekdays in full effect now the Tuesday increases will become more muted (last year on this tuesday the avg increase was 28%). and Annabelle coming out is likely to further mute any Tuesday increases (not just for KOTM). 

I'm thinking an increase in the 20-25% range today is more likely than the 45%. I think it is likely to top off at 108 rather than 110 (not that that is a huge difference either way).

One thing that might help TS4's hold a little this next weekend is it looks like it keeps most of its PLX and IMAX shows. 

Around me the IMAX is still showing TS4 with one late night showing of Annabelle.

Same situation with the PLF screens. TS4 is keeping those with the exception of one late night showing going to Annabelle.

I think this is much less of an underperformance as a highlight of how little competition I2 had last summer:

Basically because Disney opted to go Solo and Christopher Robin where it would otherwise have had two more conventional family movies, Incredibles 2 was doing the family work of at least 3 movies.

Where last year's Summer the pure kids market was, what, I2 and Hotel Transylvania 3? (I think Peter Rabbit and Paddington 2 were earlier in the year).....This year has Dumbo, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King and Frozen 2 in short order. And those are just Disney alone without even considering interference from the likes of SLOP2. 

• Disbelief 1

So the film many predicted would be the biggest bomb of the summer, in its 32nd day of release, is now ahead in the dailies of every single film released in June except for its studio mate released just four days ago. WTF is going on this summer?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

So the film many predicted would be the biggest bomb of the summer, in its 32nd day of release, is now ahead in the dailies of every single film released in June except for its studio mate released just four days ago. WTF is going on this summer?

The ones who thought it would flat out bomb were flat out stupid 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Yep, and despite that my stupid reptile brain is still disappointed it didn't do $2 million on Monday, even tho it had the best Sunday to Monday drop in the top 10. A part of me was still hoping it could maybe match the 38 consecutive days above $2 million that Black Panther had last year. But then you remember Black Panther is second only to Avatar (54 days, a record that won't be broken for a very long time) as far as that stat goes, so yeah, even "just" 31 days is absolutely incredible.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I grow increasingly suspicious that Aladdin will pass 340. It’s in good company

DCFAE2-E3-741-C-41-CE-A71-B-E2-E8-C0259-

Yes, at this point it's gaining on everything on that list, beat Inside Out last week, beat Jungle Book too. Sure, it won't actually overtake either (at least I highly doubt that) but it should eventually get to $350 million. Anything more than that would be crazy because we're starting to talk about a 4x multiplier for a Memorial Day weekend opener, which is just fantasy at this level (100+ million for the 4-day start).

Is a relatively subdued Monday for TS4 result of large Tuesday bumps lately?

I want TS4 to cross the 400M barrier and 1B worldwide because I really wish Pixar can finish this current sequel streak on a relative high note.

Before they venture into originals again, Pixar never had an original passing 1B, so this may be their last chance for a while.

28 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I grow increasingly suspicious that Aladdin will pass 340. It’s in good company

DCFAE2-E3-741-C-41-CE-A71-B-E2-E8-C0259-

I agree with what you posted, I posted - I think in the weekend thread - something about the last 7 days (Monday to Sunday) compared to other movies and it grossed more than basically any comp between 300 and 350m but Zootopia and Finding Nemo which is what worries me a little bit but apart from that it really looks good.