charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (6/25) Numbers

15 minutes ago, gary said:

So what are these then major flops ?

Captain America 1 made 2.6 its budget

Thor 1 made 2.9 its budget

Thor 2 made 3.7 its budget

Ant-Man made 3.9 its budget with relying on China making over 100 million there

Ant-Man 2 made 3.2 its budget also relying on China with over 100 miilion there.

Iron Man 2 made 3.1 its budget

Shazam made 3.6 its budget without relying on China.

Those movies needed help from ancillaries and merchandising to make decent profits. But you're actually talking about Shazam being a HUGE hit, which I wonder where you get it from. Just remember, there's always a distribution/marketing/P&A budget separate from the production budget. I consider Shazam to be a mild success, not a huge hit.

16 minutes ago, gary said:

So what are these then major flops ?

Captain America 1 made 2.6 its budget

Thor 1 made 2.9 its budget

Thor 2 made 3.7 its budget

Ant-Man made 3.9 its budget with relying on China making over 100 million there

Ant-Man 2 made 3.2 its budget also relying on China with over 100 miilion there.

Iron Man 2 made 3.1 its budget

Shazam made 3.6 its budget without relying on China.

What's wrong with relying on China? Shazam getting hated by China is something to brag about now?

Plus Captain America didn't rely on China. Shazam relied on China but got rejected.

IMO any movie that made less than 4x is underwhelming. Disappointing if less than 3x.

• Disbelief 2

11 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

What's wrong with relying on China?

If movies want to make greater profits, they shouldn't rely too much on China. In contrast to studios getting around 50% share of domestic theatrical grosses (as much as 65% in Disney's case), in China they only get 23% to 25%.

Edited by UserHN

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

If movies want to make greater profits, they shouldn't rely too much on China. In contrast to studios getting around 50% share of domestic theatrical grosses (as much as 65% in Disney's case), in China they only get 23% to 25%.

As far as I know, only Avengers and star wars get 65%? Or all Disney movies?

Also is it 60% for the first week domestically? 

Edited by xiazhi

2 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

As far as I know, only Avengers and star wars get 65%? Or all Disney movies?

Also is it 60% for the first week domestically? 

I think 65% of the full domestic grosses for SW and Avengers movies only.

1 minute ago, xiazhi said:

I mean generally, is it slightly more on the first weekend for all movies?

Disney demanded 65% for ALL domestic ticket sales of TLJ and 64% of TFA. Not just the 1st weekend.

Just now, UserHN said:

Disney demanded 65% for ALL domestic ticket sales of TLJ and 64% of TFA. Not just the 1st weekend.

I wasn't clear. I was talking about all the other movies from any studio. Is the first weekend's share slightly more?

3 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

I wasn't clear. I was talking about all the other movies from any studio. Is the first weekend's share slightly more?

Yes, I think that was the standard. Studios get a huge % from the 1st week, and then diminishing shares as each weekend passes by. Theaters get very little on a movie's 1st weekend but then get increasing % for the next consecutive weekends.

But then Disney wanted different from their SW and Avengers movies, a constant 60%+ from all ticket sales domestic, regardless if its just the 1st weekend or already the 12th weekend.

Edited by UserHN

Endgame will have 2 shows a day at Disney Springs in Orlando.

Here’s Friday so far.

4:40 82/123 sold

9:00 79/123 sold

also of note, the appear to have added a second screen for Yesterday on Thursday night

6 hours ago, UserHN said:

Yes, I think that was the standard. Studios get a huge % from the 1st week, and then diminishing shares as each weekend passes by. Theaters get very little on a movie's 1st weekend but then get increasing % for the next consecutive weekends.

But then Disney wanted different from their SW and Avengers movies, a constant 60%+ from all ticket sales domestic, regardless if its just the 1st weekend or already the 12th weekend.

That was the standard until the mid 2000s when theaters started closing.  Avg is now 50-55% to the studio with tent poles like Avengers, SW etc being able to ask more.  Other studios also get at least 60% for bigger tent poles since Disney was the last studio to ask for more than the 50-55% split with Iron Man at 60%.

7 hours ago, Felandria said:

Endgame will have 2 shows a day at Disney Springs in Orlando.

Here’s Friday so far.

4:40 82/123 sold

9:00 79/123 sold

also of note, the appear to have added a second screen for Yesterday on Thursday night

Only two shows? :(