Eric the Ape

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

fuck, it's gone up by 3%! Damn, F is not happening. watch out for at least B score if not more (assuming Aster stans frontloaded the previews).

This is based on just 133 votes. Most of them are probably Aster fans. i doubt a hater would waste the time to come and give a bad review on RT. 

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Pugh is Discount JLaw. ;)She has some passing resemblance and they are putting her in everything. Since she's headlining an unwatchable auteur horror like JLaw did with Mother! I just don't want Midsommar to do better than Mother! I don't like it that Hollywood is trying to replace Jlaw with Pugh. 

JLaw aint going anywhere she has many films lined up and she is a fantastic beautiful actress. Pugh is great too though. There is room for the both of them.

• Like 2

Yikes, only a few mil higher OD than TASM from 2012 which also wasn’t a sequel? Either this is going to play wildly different than the other two Tuesday 4th openers or we’re in for a big time underperformance. Keep in mind neither TF1 or TASM did more than 2x their 6 days and this should really be more frontloaded than them as a sequel in 2019. 

• Haha 1

One thing if it does open to 160-170 6-day then that's probably around what Homecoming would have gotten with the same sort of calendar configuration. So then it would be curious why this movie increased by a good amount from Homecoming in Asia but not domestically. Yeah WOM but that wouldn't affect the openings too much.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

Just now, Menor said:

One thing if it does open to 160-170 6-day then that's probably around what Homecoming would have gotten with the same sort of calendar configuration. So then it would be curious why this movie increased by a good amount from Homecoming in Asia but not domestically.

while i agree, we really dont know where it will end up, 2 multi is not a rule , could be higher or lower, same with the 6 day opening

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

while i agree, we really dont know where it will end up, 2 multi is not a rule , could be higher or lower, same with the 6 day opening

I have no expectations for the 6-day until I see today's number. Yesterday performed very weirdly with $20 million in presales leading to only $36 million pure OD, who knows how this will go from now on.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

So then it would be curious why this movie increased by a good amount from Homecoming in Asia but not domestically.

Spidey-fatigue? We just had a critically acclaimed Spider-man film (with better WoM than this) and a Spider-man game and two Spider-man appearances. Also, I'm wondering if the US sees only a marginal increase in final gross then will the same will happen in Europe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

while ffh didnt explode in china, it is  way bigger tha other sh solo movies

Yep but it just continuing the trend. I mean AM became the biggest Solo SH movie for marvel. And this with MI6 a super big movie ($190m total) on it's second weekend and we know how hard China cuts screens when a big movie opens + AM has great drops untill MI6 came so it's fair to asume it could have done a lot more than what it endup making if it had one more freeish week. Then that record was beaten by CM, it got $86m as it's OW with the help of IWD and went on to make $155m USD now we have FFH getting a great OW of 98m and probably will make about $200m in the end. And to be fair FFH got a bit lucky with sensorship stopping some decently big DOM movies from opening this weekend. So yeah it did good, but again no break out. Once an MCU movie with a good OW gets the 3x + legs we will speak about a break out 😛.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spidey-fatigue? We just had a critically acclaimed Spider-man film (with better WoM than this) and a Spider-man game and two Spider-man appearances. Also, I'm wondering if the US sees only a marginal increase in final gross then will the same will happen in Europe.

well if you actually think about it, most mcu sequels doest not increase very much dom, i am talking about the second sequels

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wouldn't the same factors apply to China/SK/Japan? Spiderverse did better domestically but I don't think it was so huge as to create fatigue. But as long as it doesn't decrease from HC we are good for a billion so this is all just a matter of icing.

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

One thing if it does open to 160-170 6-day then that's probably around what Homecoming would have gotten with the same sort of calendar configuration. So then it would be curious why this movie increased by a good amount from Homecoming in Asia but not domestically. Yeah WOM but that wouldn't affect the openings too much.

And where did Avengers bump go?

Regarding Asia, IMO;

Homecoming faced TASM negativity initially. I remember an average opening in India but good pick up on Saturday and Sunday. 

And of course Infinity War boost.

Tom Holland also grew as during Homecoming, the general buzz was that he is just a kid. Now he is a Star.

Just now, pepsa said:

Yep but it just continuing the trend. I mean AM became the biggest Solo SH movie for marvel. And this with MI6 a super big movie ($190m total) on it's second weekend and we know how hard China cuts screens when a big movie opens + AM has great drops untill MI6 came so it's fair to asume it could have done a lot more than what it endup making if it had one more freeish week. Then that record was beaten by CM, it got $86m as it's OW with the help of IWD and went on to make $155m USD now we have FFH getting a great OW of 98m and probably will make about $200m in the end. And to be fair FFH got a bit lucky with sensorship stopping some decently big DOM movies from opening this weekend. So yeah it did good, but again no break out. Once an MCU movie with a good OW gets the 3x + legs we will speak about a break out 😛.

endgame legs were something however ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Pugh is Discount JLaw. ;)She has some passing resemblance and they are putting her in everything. Since she's headlining an unwatchable auteur horror like JLaw did with Mother! I just don't want Midsommar to do better than Mother! I don't like it that Hollywood is trying to replace Jlaw with Pugh. 

I've never seen Pugh compared to Lawrence. The roles she's getting would not have gone to J.Law. This is bizarre paranoia.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

And where did Avengers bump go?

Regarding Asia, IMO;

Homecoming faced TASM negativity initially. I remember an average opening in India but good pick up on Saturday and Sunday. 

And of course Infinity War boost.

Tom Holland also grew as during Homecoming, the general buzz was that he is just a kid. Now he is a Star.

Same factors would apply to USA. In fact TASM2 was received worse domestically than in Asia so it should have been even more deflated.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Same factors would apply to USA. In fact TASM2 was received worse domestically than in Asia so it should have been even more deflated.

Yeah that's why I am saying that anything below 185 is disaspointing and unacceptable. Perhaps Iron Man inflated Homecoming, but even Homecoming was bit disaspointing in opening weekend and then big 2nd weekend drop.

Loved late legs though.

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

That 6 day would  only lead to a 300 total or so if we're looking at how TF1 and TASM behaved. And again, neither had the burden of sequel frontloading. There's zero way anyone can convince me under Homecoming is anything less than a big time underperformance given the reception of that movie, the critical reception of this one, and most of all the state of the MCU right now. This should have had 400 in the bag. 

Edited by MovieMan89