Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Posted Image

The Woman in Black

8:45PM Friday, February 3rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 400 (100% full; possibly the most annoying movie audience I've ever been a part of... more on that later)

Ticket Price: $11.50

Concessions: regular size water bottle

TRAILERS:

7500 - CBS Films' movie about supernatural killings happening on a cross-Pacific airplane; got loads of shrieks from the audience/great reaction

Snow White & the Huntsman - looks good, lots of talking from a very LOUD audience

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - weak reaction to what'll probably be a good movie... again, from this audience, not a surprise

Ghost Rider 2 - looks like garbage, loads of discussion

The Dictator - best reaction of the trailers, definitely looks funny

Gone - Amanda Seyfried in a psychological thriller? This can go one of two ways; got more talking from audience, too

THE FILM:

There are two types of people that go to the movies: those that understand theater etiquette and those who don't. Not since my viewing of The Expendables have groups of people in a sold out movie talked aloud to each other throughout the entire film, clueless to the fact that they were RUINING the experience for everyone around them. The worst offender in the room--a twenty-something, queer, obese, Hispanic guy--conveniently sat behind me as he "whispered" complete nonsense to his girlfriend beard throughout the first hour of the film (*and for the record, it's neither racist nor homophobic to highlight these qualities of a person if they are indeed facts). Once I finally reached my boiling point about an hour into the movie, I stood up, turned around, and told him, "I will pay you to shut up for the rest of the movie." The man sitting to my right chimed, "Me too!" That did the trick... until the last 10 minutes (but at that point, every annoying person in the theater was talking/freaking out).

From what I could gather, The Woman in Black was a good horror movie. Daniel Radcliffe eventually succeeds at moving beyond his Harry Potter persona (barely) and delivers a commendable performance. The film feels very much like Sleepy Hollow meets The Haunting meets The Ring, but with an ending I personally wasn't expecting. And, actually, I think things ended very effectively. The use of music in the film is pretty cool, too--they mix a lot of signature horror film sound effects with crank-up dolls and music boxes for a very creepy effect.

I wish it was easier to overcome the rude, disrespectful, nonsensical statements people in this audience were exclaiming during (seemingly) every scene in the film. "There's no way this is PG-13!" and "Nigga, run! Nigga, run!" were among the repeated phrases we heard throughout... sorry if I sound snobbish, but I cannot stand watching movies with stupid people. They suck out all of the entertainment with their commentary and diminish the experience. THIS is a perfect example of why I grade "crowd experience" so highly on my crowd reports.

My advice if you're interested in possibly watching The Woman in Black (because it's definitely a good movie): wait a few weeks for the interest to die down so you don't risk having the same issues in your viewing as I did tonight.

Experience - 0/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 12/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 7/10

THE VERDICT: 54/100, D

• Like 1

My cousin who saw the film said it was the worst theater experience ever when she went to see WiB. I don't get why American audiences can be so fucking obnoxious. This never happens anywhere else.Andy, this is why I'm not liking your reviews. It's not fair that you give the film a D. At all.

• Like 1

Wow. Things like that don't happen here. That must have been really terrible.

I agree, never experienced that kind of crowd (even for the local movies), the most terrible I think I experienced is kids crying / whining to their parents

My cousin who saw the film said it was the worst theater experience ever when she went to see WiB. I don't get why American audiences can be so fucking obnoxious. This never happens anywhere else.

Andy, this is why I'm not liking your reviews. It's not fair that you give the film a D. At all.

Noctis,

I stand by my "grades" and will not change my point structure. Why? Because I'm not reviewing the movie. I'm reporting on the crowd experience. That's always my main objective when going to the movie theater. What I write are largely spoiler-free analyses of the movies I watch and the atmosphere surrounding them.

For a box office analyst's sake, the crowd reports are an excellent way to gauge audience's interest in both the films previewed during through trailers and the films they're paying to watch as well. As I learned a couple years ago, the crowd reports can be a reliable vehicle to propel casual moviegoers' interest in a movie they may have otherwise had 0 interest in going to see--I share all my reports on my facebook page, and I'm flattered by dozens of people that tell me they depend on my reports when deciding whether or not to see a movie. Some movies can have their intended effect from your living room TV screen, but when you pay to see something in theaters you're really just hoping for a positive, memorable crowd experience.

In fairness, it's probably a mistake for me to double post my crowd reports in their film's respective "Review That Movie" threads, so in the future I'll avoid doing this as not to blur my definitions of the two.

• Like 1

My cousin who saw the film said it was the worst theater experience ever when she went to see WiB. I don't get why American audiences can be so fucking obnoxious. This never happens anywhere else.Andy, this is why I'm not liking your reviews. It's not fair that you give the film a D. At all.

Noctis you should see Chronicle.

If there's a sequel then maybe they can go the route in which other people, unknown to the trio found the hole too and got exposed to whatever was there.

Yeah that would kind of be lame though. I am still in shock they

killed Andrew

• Like 1

A double feture night for me. In addition to the regular movies the big Cineplex chain is having The Great Digital Film Festival this week

so I finally saw "The Big Lebowski" on the big screen and followed it up with "Chronicle"

The Big Lebowski

Scotiabank Theater, auditorium #5. 6:30 showing, 225 seats, roughly 175 people

No trailers.

As expected, the crowd loved it. When the management introduced the film before it started he asked how many people hadn't seen it before, maybe 10% had never seen it so 90% were built in fans.

I love these film fests, you get the best crowds, everyone was having a good time and laughing during the movie. I'll definitely be seeing more movies during the week.

9.5/10

Chronicle

Scotiabank Theater, auditorium #6. 8:25 showing, 225 seats, sold out.

Trailers

3 Stooges- surprisingly good reaction. First time I've seen the trailer and it was better than expexted.

Battleship- some snarky comments and several mentions of transformers from the audience.

There was one more but I can't even remember what it was.

The crowd seemed to like it, especially the parts where they were beginning to use their abilities, the talent show was probably the high point for positive crowd reaction. I heard more than 1 "It was better than I thought it would be" around me when it ended. It was a good movie for its type.

7.5/10