Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL

Michigan Theater

7:30pm

Sundance Film Festival 2012

1,700 Seater (SOLD OUT)

THE EXPERIENCE WAS AWESOME. I got a complete sundance program, there was a Q&A with the writers/director, and the crowd was incredibly reactive at all the right parts.

When this rolls around to its release from Focus Features, I'll definitely be rooting for this. It's insanely raunchy and hilarious, and it even has a touch of heartfelt-ness to it as well. It almost felt like a mini-Bridesmaids. This is a movie worth checking out!

A Separation

2:00 PM - 50 people.

Trailers:

In Darkness - nothing

Some movie about how a guy's dad accidentally wins the nobel prize that is really his? IDK.

Movie:

Woa. SO deserves the screenplay nomination. This movie is non stop fighting and arguing. Everyone puts in tonssssssssss of emotions and they all feel like real people, which never happens in a movie. Dayum. They all should have gotten acting nominations. The lead actor was the best, his daughter was also great (it must suck to be her in this movie, what she has to go through), and everyone else was all still great. It's about how the guy hires a lady to look after his dad while he's at work. Yadda yadda yadda drama drama drama herunbornbabydiesandit'sawhodunitmysteryandwhathappensiscraycray... And in the last scene the girl has to make a pretty difficult decision, but it doesn't tell us what her decision is which kind of annoyed me. But oh well.

A Dangerous Method

4:05 PM - 50 people

Trailers:

In Darkness - nothing

Movie:

Keira Knightley plays a stutterer in the beginning. And she's insane. Pretty good acting. Michael Fassbender is the main character but he doesn't do much. Then everyone else is pretty meh. The story isn't about anything in particular. He's a doctor, Freud is a famous doctor (I learned about him in my Psychology class :D) and they disagree that sex is the origin of like, all desires and motives, they fight, they break up (seriously I think there was a relationship between the two men) and the movie ends.

Upcoming films I've seen trailers for:TPM (2 or 3 times)Titanic 3D (2 times)John Carter (About 50 times....)TDKR: Twice.Brave: Few times.Pirates: About 400 times...Lorax: A bit.Ghost Rider 2: 2 or 3.Good Deeds: Once.Madagascar 3: Once.GI Joe 2: Twice.Amazing Spider-Man: Once.MIB3: Once.Secret World: Once.Jack the Giant Killer: Once.Battleship: Twice.Big Miracle: Once.Chimpanzee: Once.Wrath of the Titans: Once.American Pie 4: Once.Safe House: Once.This Means War: Once.Mirror, Mirror: Once.Paranorman: Once.

I can add:Cabin in the Woods (one of the worse looking films, I can see why it was shelved)So yeah that is what I've seen.

Underworld: Awakening

Greenbelt 1, Makati City,. Philippines

Jan. 27, 2012 / 6:30 screening

80% full / 200 seats

Trailers:

Gi Joe 2 - silence

Snow White and The Huntsman - some reactions when they saw "Bella"

The Hunger Games - silence

Lorax - some laughs

Journey 2 - laughs on the last part with the scene where The Rock shakes his boobies

John Carter - silence

Jack and Jill - some laughs

The Vow - girls responded well, this is going to make a killing on Valentines Day

Men in Black 3 - some "wow it's back!" comments and crowd responded well with the movie's "twist"

The movie

It was so short and didn't bother that much with exposition and went to ass kicking business immediately after the short "review" of the past movies. Everything was so fast paced that you didn't feel like there was a climax or anything. The action scenes are fine, it's entertaining in a way but just didn't feel any room for you to be invested that much. The crowd was obviously taken aback how short this was and heard ramblings of how they felt the story left them hanging. Kate Beckinsale looked great as always in this role.

C

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

The Grey

Sunday, 5:00 PM

Attendance: Between 100-150 people

Trailers

Cabin in the Woods

21 Jump St.- Good reaction, looks funny

Lockout- Eh

Battleship- Ridiculous. Might check it out... I don't know why they turned the game into an alien invasion though

88 Minutes (?)- I forget the name of the movie... Elizabeth Olsen horror...

Film:

Graphic, bleak, emotional. It's lighter on the action than I expected and low on the "hope" factor but it's very good. Crowd seemed a little disappointed by the final scene, though, I think it worked.

The Artist

Mo 6:00 pm

only 20 people ... age 30+ mostly

Trailers: Extremely/Incredibly; The Vow (no reactions ... "The Vow" really looks horrible btw)

"The Artist" is ok (review in review section) but will not do big numbers here. The audience is just too limited. The ones who were there were satisfied but you can't build WOM on such small crowds. Funny thing: Since this is silent AND the music (if there at all) is often piano, it was VERY quiet in my theatre. There were some younger people there armed with crisps or popcorn and it was sooo sweet to hear them try not to disturb :)

• Like 1

The Artist

Mo 6:00 pm

only 20 people ... age 30+ mostly

Trailers: Extremely/Incredibly; The Vow (no reactions ... "The Vow" really looks horrible btw)

"The Artist" is ok (review in review section) but will not do big numbers here. The audience is just too limited. The ones who were there were satisfied but you can't build WOM on such small crowds. Funny thing: Since this is silent AND the music (if there at all) is often piano, it was VERY quiet in my theatre. There were some younger people there armed with crisps or popcorn and it was sooo sweet to hear them try not to disturb :)

That's pretty funny. LOL.

When I saw The Grey last night, there was some guy a couple rows back snoring pretty loudly during one of the quiet scenes and everyone in the theater turned around and gave an evil eye and stifled laughs to that general direction.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

SM Mall of Asia IMAX, Philippines

Press Screening, 8pm, January 31, 2012

90% full / 500 seats

No trailers but the prologue of Dark Knight Rises was shown before the movie and the crowd applause after it was shown.

The movie

It's fun enough but I feel like they didn't explore the island enough. Visual effects are generally good save for the chase scene involving bees because it looked so fake. The actors are fine, Luiz Guzman was funny. The crowd reception was okay and I heard some good chatter as I exit the theater. It's basically a by-the-numbers family adventure flick, it's not awful by any means but not memorable either

B-

Edited by forg

The Grey

7:30PM Showing

20% full or so; crowd was about 25 and up.

Trailers:

I only remember Battleship and it got a pretty positive reaction, which I found odd. There were some smaller movies with trailers that I can't recall.

The movie: I thought it was an extremely solid movie. Great build up of tension throughout, solid solid acting from Liam and I grew to care about his character. The climactic scene seemed to piss a lot of people off, but I felt it worked wonderfully for the movie. I can't honestly see a better ending than the one presented. I'm assuming that most low audience scores are attributed to the ending which I think is unfair.

A

• Like 1

NEW

The Woman In Black (1 screen, 5 showings)

Chronicle (1 screen, 6 showings)

Big Miracle (1 screen, 6 showings)

HOLDOVERS

The Grey (1 screen, 5 showings)

Man On A Ledge (1 screen, 6 showings)

One For The Money (1 screen, 6 showings)

Red Tails (1 screen, 5 showings)

Haywire (1 screen, 6 showings)

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (1 screen, 4 showings)

Contraband (1 screen, 6 showings)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (1 screen, 5 showings)

Hugo 3D (1 screen, 5 showings)

The Descendants (1 screen, 5 showings)

SHARED SCREENS

The Adventures Of Tintin 3D/A Dangerous Method (3 showings/2 showings)

Beauty & The Beast 3D/The Woman In Black (3 showings/3 showings)

Joyful Noise/Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (1 showing/3 showings)

The Artist/Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (5 showings/1 showing)

The Iron Lady/The Grey (5 showings/1 showing)

LEAVING

The Devil Inside (4 weeks)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (4 weeks)

War Horse (5 weeks, 5 days)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (6 weeks, 2 days)

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

SM Mall of Asia IMAX, Philippines

Press Screening, 8pm, January 31, 2012

90% full / 500 seats

No trailers but the prologue of Dark Knight Rises was shown before the movie and the crowd applause after it was shown.

The movie

It's fun enough but I feel like they didn't explore the island enough. Visual effects are generally good save for the chase scene involving bees because it looked so fake. The actors are fine, Luiz Guzman was funny. The crowd reception was okay and I heard some good chatter as I exit the theater. It's basically a by-the-numbers family adventure flick, it's not awful by any means but not memorable either

B-

Hello there, how much is the IMAX ticket for this one?

Chronicle: 90% fullTrailersGhost Rider 2PrometheusThis Means War (Extended Preview) Went over really well with the audience. Kind of like the Bridesmaids preview last year except this shows a helluva lot of scenes. Should be decent fun I suppose.copy-paste from the main threadSeen this one. Can't say I loved it. It was entertaining, the trailer is misleading as even though I knew it was a found footage type flick I thought it would revert to normal within the running time. Ending won't piss people off, it's not that strong but it makes sense or rather it ends the only way it can. People were talking about it as long as I could tell after it ended so it will get some sort of WOM going.

Edited by BK007