Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Safe House7:25 Regal Starlight 14$7.35 100% FullPrometheus - no reactionProject X- good reactions, a few "im seeing that" and "thats gonna be good"21 Jump Street- same reactions at Project XBourne Legacy- barely any reactions, a few "Bourne ?"Battleship - no reaction, of course.Safe House to me was really good. Even though the fast paced editing was a little choppy, the action scenes were still elaborate and original. Also the fact that the movie was set in S Africa instead of typical NY or LA was a bonus. Denzel and Ryan did great jobs, I was really impressed at how Ryan's character evolved. It wasnt as predictable as youd expect, and the crowd seemed to enjoy it.Solid B. (I dont do + or -)

Hugo

Press Screening

7:30 PM, Resorts World Manila, Philippines

80% full (300 seats)

Trailers:

Battleship - some chatter and a lady shouted "Hey that's Rihanna!"

Snow White and The Huntsman - no reaction

Madagascar 3 - laughs

The Lorax - laughs

The movie.

Definitely worth the wait. The production design is so amazing and it made me understand why the production budget was so high for this (although I hope they could have cut cost to 100 mil). The film started a little slow but when it got to the George Meiles' past part was so mesmerizing. I consider myself a casual movie fan but after watching this one I want to learn more about the history of films. I got teary eyed on some scenes. The audience was very receptive as well (lots of "wows" in the amazing visual sequences and also you could feel h I think this movie is not for kids below 10 or have short attention span as there was one kid (around 7) who was whining to her parents but good thing the parents made her shut up. There was this other who's reacting so loudly but she was inquisitive and was interested with the black and white films featured so it was slightly amusing. The 3D was immersive I must say. Will watch this again :D

A+

• Like 1

This Means War

Trailers:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- The crowd lovedthis trailer, it had several lines that had the crowd laughing. It's geriatric humor so it probably won't make huge boxoffic but the trailer sold me on seeing it.

Seeking a Friend Friend For The End Of The World- moderate reaction

Prometheus- not a lot of reaction, but it was mainly a teaser

The Amazing Spider-Man - Crowd really liked it, a couple of gils next to me commented "I'll see this". The trailer looks so much better on the big screen.

There was actually an animated feature before the movie, Ice Age: Continental Drift 2 (may not be the exact title). This was hilarious, Scrat is the best character in the series and is used well in this mini feature, a nice treat before the movie.

The movie- Interesting note first, I bought my ticket yesterday and it was in theater 1, which is about a 200 seater, when I arrived today it had been moved to theater 9, which is the biggest auditorium at about 400 seats. It wasn't a sell out, but there were over 350 people. Hard to say if this will break out or if the crowds were purely due to discount tuesday and Valentine's Day.

I know the reviews aren't good, but you wouldn't know that from this crowd, they were clearly having fun with laughs at the right spots. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised, it's been a good while since I've enjoyed a Witherspoon movie.

8/10

HugoTuesday 6pm30 people in a 300seater. It just opened here on Friday and there are school and university holidays, so that's really poor.Trailers: Big Miracle and something similarily forgettable which I have forgotten and Journey 2 which was cringeworthy bad.The film: Excellent (review in review section) but not really suited for children. The 3D was excellent.Hugo won't do big numbers here even if the audience clearly loved it. Same as with "The Artist": You can't build WOM on such small crowds. The marketing and whole conception for "Hugo" are very questionable; this is in heart a very adult film with much bitterness and sadness. Highly recommended to everyone in love with cinema!

Safe HouseTuesday 8:55PM, Valentine’s DayHouston, TX60% full in a 300 seaterTrailers:Project X: Got a decent reaction. Some whispering afterward.21 Jumpstreet: Lots of laughs throughout the trailer and after. Great reaction from crowd.Prometheus: Silence. No reaction at all.GI Joe: Decent reaction, especially when many realized it was the Rock. Actually heard a couple groans when Bruce Willis was revealed at the end of the trailer. Was extremely surprised by this.Battleship: positive reaction from the crowd. Lots of whispers after.Bourne Legacy: Chatter after the trailer.Movie: Great reaction throughout the film. Solid movie. Give it a B+. Some clapping at the end. Reynolds was really solid in this film. Held his weight sharing the same screen as a juggernaut like Denzel. Denzel delivered which was expected, but I think many will be pleasantly surprised by Reynolds.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Press Screening (Feb 15. 2012)

8 pm, Glorietta, Makati Philippines

95% full (400-500 seats)

- The press screening was co-organized by a motorcycle magazine here so there were a lot of riders/bikers in the crowd

Trailers:

Battleship - some wows and "it's like Transformers" comments

Jack The Giant Killer - No reaction

The Dark Knigh Rises - no reaction

The Hobbit - some chatter

Titanic 3D - some chatter, some were surprised to see this trailer

Ice Age 4 short - lots of laughter

The movie

This is not my kind of movie but it has amazing visuals. The story's a little darker than the previous and there were some creepy moments. Nicolas Cage is entertaining the in the crazy insane way and the crowd laughed a lot with some of his dialogues and antics. Saw this in 3D and it was OK but nothing amazing.

C+

Edited by forg

Safe HouseTuesday 8:55PM, Valentine’s DayHouston, TX60% full in a 300 seaterTrailers:Project X: Got a decent reaction. Some whispering afterward.21 Jumpstreet: Lots of laughs throughout the trailer and after. Great reaction from crowd.Prometheus: Silence. No reaction at all.GI Joe: Decent reaction, especially when many realized it was the Rock. Actually heard a couple groans when Bruce Willis was revealed at the end of the trailer. Was extremely surprised by this.Battleship: positive reaction from the crowd. Lots of whispers after.Bourne Legacy: Chatter after the trailer.Movie: Great reaction throughout the film. Solid movie. Give it a B+. Some clapping at the end. Reynolds was really solid in this film. Held his weight sharing the same screen as a juggernaut like Denzel. Denzel delivered which was expected, but I think many will be pleasantly surprised by Reynolds.

I find it amusing that people still have to be surprised by Reynolds. He's been proving his acting mettle for quite a while now, it's just that he tends to choose bad projects.

The Descendants

Feb 17, 2012 / 6:20 PM,

Greenbelt 3, Makati City, Philippines

90% full (300-400 seats)

The trailers were already airing when I entered the cinema and these are the ones I was able to see

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Jack and Jill - some laughs

My Week with Marilyn

This is War - some laughs

The movie:

The story felt a little dry but in a way I like the simplicity of it all and that it's really all about pain. I love the rapport between George Clooney and Shailene Woodley, I like their scenes together. This is a good performance from Clooney but I don't think it's worthy of an Oscar. The crowd enjoyed Matt's confrontation with his wife's other man and they were very receptive as well of Sid's stoned jokes. All in all, it's a fine movie but it's nowhere near Payne's best.

B-

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 21:40 PMOnly about 30 people at most. Then again, keep in mind that this was an XD showing, IE the most expensive showing that is not as crowded as the other ones.Trailers:(No reactions to any of them, except one really funny one)Battleship: The only reaction. "Really???" "Yes! It is coming!"21 Jump Street: Yuck. This was a drama show...Wrath of the Titans: Seen it already, looks better then the 1st.Prometheus: Looks...intresting.Amazing Spider-Man (New trailers): Looks decent.Movie: Better then the first. Visuals were good, the "story" was decent. Yes I say "story" as it really did not have that much. Though I did enjoy it, and the thing about the Ghost Riders past was intresting. Though Cage continues to be one of the worse actors ever. Even if I enjoyed National Treasure 1 and 2, and Sorcerer's Apprentice was good. The music was decent. No actor returned it looked like other then Cage. Surprised this was not rated R for a few creepy scenes. This one was much more of a horror then the first one. Not a great film, but enjoyable to say the least.BBTW, outside the movie I hear a dad go "Okay I want to see Star Wars, but in 2D" Yep, hear that Lucas? They want it in 2D not 3D!!!! And I heard quite a few seniors going to go see Safe House.

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 21:40 PMOnly about 30 people at most. Then again, keep in mind that this was an XD showing, IE the most expensive showing that is not as crowded as the other ones.Trailers:(No reactions to any of them, except one really funny one)Battleship: The only reaction. "Really???" "Yes! It is coming!"21 Jump Street: Yuck. This was a drama show...Wrath of the Titans: Seen it already, looks better then the 1st.Prometheus: Looks...intresting.Amazing Spider-Man (New trailers): Looks decent.Movie: Better then the first. Visuals were good, the "story" was decent. Yes I say "story" as it really did not have that much. Though I did enjoy it, and the thing about the Ghost Riders past was intresting. Though Cage continues to be one of the worse actors ever. Even if I enjoyed National Treasure 1 and 2, and Sorcerer's Apprentice was good. The music was decent. No actor returned it looked like other then Cage. Surprised this was not rated R for a few creepy scenes. This one was much more of a horror then the first one. Not a great film, but enjoyable to say the least.BBTW, outside the movie I hear a dad go "Okay I want to see Star Wars, but in 2D" Yep, hear that Lucas? They want it in 2D not 3D!!!! And I heard quite a few seniors going to go see Safe House.

You can't say a guy is one of the worst actors ever if he's had good performances before (Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, Adaptation, Matchstick Men, Bad Lieutenent, etc). Cage just seems to not give a fuck when he stars in these types of movies, so he turns on "Crazy Nic" and goes over the top with it.
  • Like 1

Ghost Rider II:9:30 pm75% fullTrailers:ParaNorman - few laughs21 Jump Street - laughs (seriously, people...nobody gives a shit if the old tv show was a drama)Prometheus - silenceThe Amazing Spider-man - some chatter, a few "huh?"Movie: C-Nice visuals, better action than the first (Neveldine/Taylor know how to shoot a car chase), but predictable and cliched in almost every way. Ciaran Hinds and Idris Elba bring much needed gravitas, but they can't save a nearly non-existent plot nor the tired action-movie tropes. Cage is predictably looney, but even his form of crazy is beginning to wear. Entertaining in spurts, but too campy to recommend.

Ghost Rider 25:40 showing, around 70 people, about 1/3 full.Trailers (nothing new)Battleship- standard mild reaction21 Jump Street- Actually the best reaction I've seen for this trailer so farPometheus (3D Trailer)- First, I had no idea this movie was going to be in 3D before I saw this trailer. Not a lot of reaction.Amazing Spider-Man (3D Trailer)- The trailer is even better in 3D, something I can't recall ever saying before.The movie was pretty good cheesey fun. Not a big crowd but they must have been the hard core fans as they seemed to enjoy it . The effects were ok, the acting was passable, although Cage really went over the top a few times. I wasn't the only one to notice a couple of cameos by Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy) and Christopher Lambert (Highlander).A solid 7/10