CHRONICLE

Wednesday 1st February, 7pm showing

350 seater, sold out. Scotland, UK.

Trailers:

John Carter (no reaction)

The Woman In Black (talking)

This Means War (some laughing)

Film:

This is a great debut for the director, and he uses the found-footage effect for some really nice shots, and some cheap jump scares, naturally. The cast (for the most part) are great. The film has afew laugh out loud moments and the audience seemed into it. The film was really fast paced. The effects when there are floating objects are at points really really lousy. But some of the bigger effects towards the end of the film are excellent. The main actor tends to overact severely in the last 10 minutes. The film doesn't dwell on moments that could have been great character moments and it doesn't spend any time on the serious implications of their powers. And at some points the found footage element is pretty ridiculous. for example the police saying "we have to record this for our records" when a character is lying in a hospital bed unconcious- just so the audience can see. And at some moments your left thinking "um, exactly who is supposed to be holding a camera here?" so in the last 20 minutes of the film, the found footage element is completely dropped at points and we see the action from a normal stationary camera.

Overall it was fun, quick, funny and entertaining.

• Like 2

ChronicleThursday February 2nd, 1:30 PM show179 seats, 2 people (me and my mom)TrailersWar HorseSafe HouseMovie: Awesome. Best found footage movie I have ever seen (thought it doesn't care about being found footage in the last 10-15 minutes). Fantastic performances by the protagonists. I now understand why FOX wants Josh Trank to be the director of Fantastic Four, the guy did a great job here. The last act of the movie is insane. 9/10.

Edited by CJohn

I have a crowd report to share, but before doing that I'd like to announce some changes.

I've received a lot of feedback the last few months about how I grade the movies I watch in theaters. Some people think I'm too soft and fall in love with every movie I go see (which is hardly the case... Bucky Larson and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark were total garbage). Therefore, I've reassessed how I will grade movies I watch from here forward. Please observe my new grading criteria:

Crowd Reports – Point System (OUT OF 100 POINT SCORE)

Crowd Experience - up to 30

Story/Writing - up to 20

Acting - up to 15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - up to 15

Direction - up to 10

Music - up to 10

Bonuses:

Special Effects caliber – up to 5

Originality – up to 5

Music-driven story/plot – up to 5

Award-caliber – up to 5

THE VERDICT: /100

100+ = A+

85-100 = A

70-84 = B

55-69 = C

40-54 = D

<40 = F

ALL FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Chronicle

12:01AM Friday, February 3rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 199 (80% full, nearly all college students)

Ticket Price: $8.50

Snacks: 1 small Coke Zero

TRAILERS:

(*There was a 15-minute projector delay before the trailers began)

This Means War - it's a solid action trailer; got a good reaction

21 Jump Street - very, very funny trailer and always gets an excellent reaction, especially from this audience

Project X - this was an epic, two-minute trailer that got the best reaction of the night and had lots of talking afterwards.

Silent House - I hadn't heard of this found footage film before tonight, but the trailer suggests it's an 88-minute long, single shot film of Elizabeth Olsen trapped in a haunted house; got everyone talking also

THE FILM:

Like a lot of people when they saw the first ads for Chronicle, I was skeptical about whether or not to see this. "Another found-footage film?! Couldn't they do something more original at this point?" Well, I was wrong. And thank goodness.

Chronicle is no ordinary "found footage" film. There is actually an above-average story at hand surrounding the hardships of being lonely as a teenager and--as I perceived it--the repercussions of mistreating or bullying someone. Our protagonist has the misfortune of leading a pretty sh*tty life. Dad's an abusive drunk, mom's terminally ill, the girls are "creeped out" by him, and he's bullied constantly. Fortunately, he has a cousin that makes a genuine effort to look out for him and broaden his horizons (no pun intended). It's only once they start hanging out together that their world changes forever. This sets up the first 5-7 minutes of the movie.

There's no use in laboring over all the details in the film as it's only 85 minutes long, but it was about as good as I'd expected (after reading review-upon-review praising the film this week). While the sci-fi footage and elements will draw comparisons to contemporary films like Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity, I actually think Chronicle plays out most similarly to Brian De Palma's 1976 horror film Carrie. These are all excellent films for Chronicle to be compared to, but at the same time I think Chronicle deserves a little more credit for rising above the other horror crap released recently in the found footage format. The audience seemed to enjoy the movie--about half of us were clapping at the end. And I think it ends in such a way that people will want to discuss how it plays out and what it might mean to have telekinetic powers... but mostly how awesome the last 15 minutes are! ;-)

Crowd Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 18/20

Acting - 9/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 13/15

Direction - 8/10

Music - 2/10

Bonus: Originality - 3

THE VERDICT: 77/100, B

• Like 6

Chronicle

Feb. 3, 2012

Glorietta, Makati City, Philippines

6 pm screening

70% full (500 seats)

- very mixed audience with lots of 20-30s peeps, old men and women , teenagers and families in the crowd

Trailers:

Hugo - I think the Oscar nominations on this one sparked interest because there was some chatter now unlike before when people are basically silent when this trailer is being shown

Machine Gun Preacher

Footloose - some reaction when they realized it's the Footloose remake. This movie was supposed to open here last October but it got moved and still has no playdate. Starting to doubt if this will ever be shown here

Ghost Rider 2 - some laughs

Hoodwinked 2 - really weird to see this one, although I don't recall this movie ever being shown here but it's too late already if they are going to show it here

Wrath of the Titans

This Means War - some laughs

The movie:

Both loved & hated the found footage gimick of Chronicle but nevertheless a good film with a strong and intense final act. The actor who played Andrew was terrific, great casting! The crowd seemed bored at first coz I saw some people texting and sleeping but the middle and final act got the people's interest and I could they feel were really into it. As I exit the theater I heard some grumbles of they didn't like it that much (mostly from the older crowd) but there were also good chatter especially with regards to Andrew, he really made an impression.

B

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Feb. 3, 2012

Glorietta, Makati City, Philippines

7:45 pm screening

SOLD OUT (300 seats)

- I think the theater underestimated this movie's appeal because they should have given this the larger theater which I believe it could easily fill up. Man on a Ledge & Journey 2 were on the 500-seater theaters and they were not sold out especially the former. Crowd is mostly made up of young professionals and a lot of people were like me watching it alone (which is unique given that it was a Friday night and usually people watch movies in pairs or groups). A lot of foreign nationals were there too.

Trailers:

The Amazing Spider-man

My Week with Marilyn - some 'wow' from the audience, I think because they are impressed that this movie could be shown here

The Vow - strong reaction from the girls and I'm very sure this will make a killing in the box office next week and on Valentines day

Machine Gun Preacher

John Carter

21 Jump Street - great actions, lots of laughs from the audience

The movie:

After the opening credits, I heard some applause. Anyway, this is my first encounter with the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo franchise, never saw any of the swedish films or read the book so this is the POV from someone who has no investment or attachment from the source material. I could easily tell how difficult this material is to adapt for the movie because the structure is quite complicated and there are various stories being told here but wow Fincher really pulled it off as he managed to carry this movie to an impressive pace, getting to the meat of the Vanger mystery while serving the other facets of the story (Lisbeth's ordeal, Mikael's libel case) quite well. The Vanger case itself is interesting enough to hold the movie on its own but Lisbeth's story is just fascinating. The crowd was very much into it and I heard a woman sob during the

rape scene

and people cheered when

Lisbeth got her revenge

. The crowd responded well with the Lisbeth and Mikael scenes and laughed on parts like

[*]when Mikael said to Lisbeth: "You know me far better than my closest friends",

[*]Mikael: "My laptop is encrypted" Lisbeth: "Please"

[*]"I liked working with you" after they had sex,

[*]When Lisbeth asked permission to kill to Martin

Mara indeed deserved her Oscar nomination, she was really great here. Lots of good chatter as I exited the theater. Really glad this one was shown here without cuts :)

A-

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

Chronicle

7:25pm

SOLD OUT (70% male / 30% female. Mostly teen-college age people not a lot of older people)

Trailers

This Means War- Silence

Three Stooges- Laughs

Wrath of the Titans- Some talk

21 Jump Street- Best reaction/Lots of laughs

Movie: Amazing film! Easily best film of 2012 and probably one of my favorite films all time. The acting was amazing for a unknown cast. The African American kid was hysterical and the audience laughed at all his jokes. The audience ate up the film. Claps at the end and lots of talk about Andrew and the super powers. A lot of people loved Andrew and people

gasped in horror and sadness when he was killed. One lady behind was crying when Matt was giving his final talk to the camera.

The movie was very dark and sometimes disturbing. The ariel shots were fantastic. The story was fast paced and packed with fun and action.

I am still in shock that they killed off Andrew and Steve off.

I am curious to see were the sequel if one happens will go. My brother and dad loved it too. Great movie! Must see of 2012!!! :) :) :)

9.8/10

• Like 1

Chronicle6:00 pm showing80% fullTrailers:The Three Stooges - laughs at the lobster and Snookie scenes (ugh)21 Jump Street - lots of laughsThis Means War - few laughsBattleship - teenagers were excited, otherwise silenceMovie: B+Tops Cloverfield as the best found-footage film to date. The early scenes are highly entertaining and full of humor, which the audience responded well to. Halfway through is where the plot turns more dramatic (and even disturbing in some cases), and the film becomes something of a character study with superpowers. With the exception of a few moments towards the end, the acting is top notch. The effects range from perfect to serviceable, and the climax (not to mention those flying scenes) is breathtaking. An impressive debut from Josh Trank. Audience clapped at the end.

• Like 1

Chronicle

7:25pm

SOLD OUT (70% male / 30% female. Mostly teen-college age people not a lot of older people)

Trailers

This Means War- Silence

Three Stooges- Laughs

Wrath of the Titans- Some talk

21 Jump Street- Best reaction/Lots of laughs

Movie: Amazing film! Easily best film of 2012 and probably one of my favorite films all time. The acting was amazing for a unknown cast. The African American kid was hysterical and the audience laughed at all his jokes. The audience ate up the film. Claps at the end and lots of talk about Andrew and the super powers. A lot of people loved Andrew and people

gasped in horror and sadness when he was killed. One lady behind was crying when Matt was giving his final talk to the camera.

The movie was very dark and sometimes disturbing. The ariel shots were fantastic. The story was fast paced and packed with fun and action.

I am still in shock that they killed off Andrew and Steve off.

I am curious to see were the sequel if one happens will go. My brother and dad loved it too. Great movie! Must see of 2012!!! :) :) :)

9.8/10

If there's a sequel then maybe they can go the route in which other people, unknown to the trio found the hole too and got exposed to whatever was there.
  • Like 1