TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Full trailer and tickets on sale sounds like it will be June 7th and trailer with Jurassic World.  

Very smart decision. 210M+ worth of people will see the Trailer on June 10 - 12th.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 12:52 PM, MessiahXXR said:

Imagine if Thor (which will almost certainly be much more GA friendly than MoM) pulls a JW-esque run. It’s got a fairly open July.

Is july that open? I mean its going to lose its IMAX screens to NOPE 2 weeks in

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

With DS2 falling fast, they can now push the hell out of Thor.

I can see Thor 4 making around $370 million domestic. I cannot see DS2 making THAT low though.

That would be disappointing for Thor actually 

Ragnarok did around this adjusted 

1 hour ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Much like DS2 this will do over Ultron if reception is at least mcu median.

This^^

MoM doesn't have weaker-than-expected OW and poor legs because "MCU fatigue" or any other dumb shit that gets spouted on this forum. It has those issues because it's just not a good film for the GA and repeat viewing. The Cinemascore is evidence enough (and keep in mind that Cinemascore is done during OW when the fandom is more likely the grade things even more favorably than others might).

If L&T has Ragnarok, Endgame, Shang Chi, NWH, etc etc GA love then it's going over $475M. If it has Eternals, MoM or Dark World type reception then it will also fail to live up to its potential. I don't see it going below MoM DOM, FWIW. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MessiahXXR said:

This^^

MoM doesn't have weaker-than-expected OW and poor legs because "MCU fatigue" or any other dumb shit that gets spouted on this forum. It has those issues because it's just not a good film for the GA and repeat viewing. The Cinemascore is evidence enough (and keep in mind that Cinemascore is done during OW when the fandom is more likely the grade things even more favorably than others might).

If L&T has Ragnarok, Endgame, Shang Chi, NWH, etc etc GA love then it's going over $475M. If it has Eternals, MoM or Dark World type reception then it will also fail to live up to its potential. I don't see it going below MoM DOM, FWIW. 

Eternals reception is worse than TDW, DS2, if it has that it'll utterly crash and burn. But I doubt it's possible for a Thor movie to be received that poorly considering that even if people don't like the story or humor, there is much more emotional investment from the audience in a character that they already know and love.  

6 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Eternals reception is worse than TDW, DS2, if it has that it'll utterly crash and burn. But I doubt it's possible for a Thor movie to be received that poorly considering that even if people don't like the story or humor, there is much more emotional investment from the audience in a character that they already know and love.  

Theoretically the existing attachment creates an even lower floor for reception if people feel like it undermines/betrays/cheapens the beloved character. Think TLJ.   

I don’t think that’s remotely likely though — there were some serious warning signs for Eternals and DS2, especially if you were spoiled. 10 new characters and [redacted]. L&T is just a Ragnarok sequel from the same creative team with some well liked added cast.

Edited by DS2HaterLegion Confirmed
  • Like 2

DS2 - coming off a $232m first movie in 2016, big moments in IW and EG, promise of epic-ness, expectation of many guest stars. 
TLT - coming off $315m third movie in 2017, big moments in IW and EG, promise of epicness?, expectation of GOTG guest spot. 
Some of that is a wash. I agree that DS2’s “madness” did not jackpot things like I had hoped. If Thor does the story it seems they are doing, it should hit the adventure with feels and humor sweet spot. 
My hopeful thinking is that GA will connect to this more than it did to Strange (which I liked a lot). 

6 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Theoretically the existing attachment creates an even lower floor for reception if people feel like it undermines/betrays/cheapens the beloved character. Think TLJ.   

I don’t think that’s remotely likely though — there were some serious warning signs for Eternals and DS2, especially if you were spoiled. 10 new characters and [redacted]. L&T is just a Ragnarok sequel from the same creative team with some well liked added cast.

Sure, in that sense. But it's unlikely to get the "couldn't connect to characters, emotionally dull, boring," type of reactions that made Eternals have the worst-in-franchise reception. 

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Sure, in that sense. But it's unlikely to get the "couldn't connect to characters, emotionally dull, boring," type of reactions that made Eternals have the worst-in-franchise reception. 

I think that’s better than “they ruined Thor” type of reactions.

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

I'm not sure it is, but impossible to prove since the type of movies that get each reaction type are quite different.

Its also hard to say how it would even be impacted by "they ruined X character" arguments cause a lot of Thor fans felt like he was ruined by Endgame and are looking to L&T to redeem him. Others want him to be more like the Dark World era Thor which literally no one said years ago so it's a bit of a backlash opinion lol. Either way, people who care that much probably aren't that significant for the audience of this movie. Ragnarok has massive casual fan appeal like it's an extremely well liked movie by people who aren't super into the MCU. 

But if nothing else, Taika Waititi has a certain appeal to the GA and movie fans like four of his movies are over 4.0 on letterboxd which is pretty remarkable for a guy who's not like a high brow auteur or anything. 

• Like 2