TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think Next Goals Wins is coming to try entering award season. 

Rumours about premiere at Telluride or TIFF like Jojo.

One brazilian critic that i liked a lot read the book and said it have strong potential if well adapted, let's see, since it's a smaller project i think it could enter this "back to his roots" reception if it's good. 

But yeah people on film twitter will definitely have a meltdown if he ended up with 2 well received movies this year despite them being tired of him.

Next Goal Wins is a documentary, I don't think it was ever a book? But yeah the doc is very good and it's very much in his wheelhouse. I don't know if film twitter will hate it cause besides the Michael Fassbender thing (which I feel like will never become a controversy in the mainstream anyways), the whole cast is mostly just unknown Polynesians and like I don't see critics wanting to take it down a peg if it's just a small indie thing. That said, if it starts winning over more indie faves like Sarah Polley or something then I'm sure the knives will come out lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

My friend was at the TIFF premiere for Jojo Rabbit and said the crowd went so wild for so long they literally had to tell them to shut up so they could start the Q&A lol. I mean I have it well below his top tier (Boy, WWDITS and Hunt for the Wilderpeople) but it's clearly beloved and will probably be a film lots of younger people grow up watching through school and stuff. 

Obvs I haven't seen L&T but I get the feeling it's probably not that far off from Ragnarok, but when Ragnarok came out he was like the cool indie director everyone was in love with since the pineapple outfit photo and everyone wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Now he's an A-list celebrity who won an Oscar, has a messy personal life, has threeways with famous singers and actresses, and doesn't have the underdog rootability factor anymore. 

Agreed, personally i prefer MCU movies with it's director personalities in there even if they're less well received. 

Beside it's problems, watching DS2 was a delight to me, i love Sam and he was there. I'm sure i'll be happy with a Thor movie that is full Taika too, with all the messiness i'm in. 

And this time i think audiences won't divide, everyone is saying the movie is very funny, i think this is what people look for watching Marvel so it's fine, even with a critical reception a bit worse than Ragnarok because of all the fair reasons you listed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Next Goal Wins is a documentary, I don't think it was ever a book? But yeah the doc is very good and it's very much in his wheelhouse. I don't know if film twitter will hate it cause besides the Michael Fassbender thing (which I feel like will never become a controversy in the mainstream anyways), the whole cast is mostly just unknown Polynesians and like I don't see critics wanting to take it down a peg if it's just a small indie thing. That said, if it starts winning over more indie faves like Sarah Polley or something then I'm sure the knives will come out lol

Yes, it's a documentary, i watch it again because i was feeling i was forgetting something lol. 

He watched not read it, and said it could be great if well adapted.

But yeah, hard to see any big controversy since he delayed it to remove Armie Hammer.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, it's a documentary, i watch it again because i was feeling i was forgetting something lol. 

He watched not read it, and said it could be great if well adapted.

But yeah, hard to see any big controversy since he delayed it to remove Armie Hammer.

We'll see if he actually finishes it in time lol there's been some conflicting reports about how far he's into the editing process, probably cause he's literally all over the place right now and doing a dozen things at once. It's for sure tested a few times since March, but the Ellwood said it's likely not to be done until the end of the year. The lack of an official release date is also a bit weird. 

• Like 1

Yhis whole metacritic obsessions needs to stop. The mc score is made by 60 critics vs the 300-400 on rt. The sample is miniscule.

And JoJo Rabbit isnt divisive. The 7.6 aversge on rt INCLUDES the same 50-60 critics from Metacritic. So the overall score isnt disivise and it just includes certain critics that didnt like it. You are basically isooating a small subgroup from a large percentage that includes said group.

Thats like saying that a guy failed an exam cause he answered wrong 2/10 questions while still getitng a B+. Does that make sense to you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to the very funny Minions and their at this point second really solid weekend (near to what we all expected for the first weekend) this is gonna make 130M if it's lucky. The most funny creatures won, sorry Taika. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Thanks to the very funny Minions and their at this point second really solid weekend (near to what we all expected for the first weekend) this is gonna make 130M if it's lucky. The most funny creatures won, sorry Taika. 

This has to be a satire, right? 

Not the same target audience. Some overlap but L&T isn't for kids nor it pretedns to be. Naked Thor is featuring in previews so that right there tells you it isn't a kid-friendly kind of comedy. Teens and adults will flock to it instead. 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:20 PM, Lucas said:

The movie was at 100 on Critics' Choice yesterday and is now down to 77 so it's gotta have at minimum two ratings submitted so far, but probably some more.

thor.png

Went up to 83, now down to 79. This is probably the area it'll end up in when all is said and done.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This has to be a satire, right? 

Not the same target audience. Some overlap but L&T isn't for kids nor it pretedns to be. Naked Thor is featuring in previews so that right there tells you it isn't a kid-friendly kind of comedy. Teens and adults will flock to it instead. 

not the same target?  Do you know about the thing called families?. 

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

not the same target?  Do you know about the thing called families?. 

I just explained that a movie that is marketed with naked Thor is not targeting families as its primary audience. It's for teens and adults first. 

Life is beautiful is a genius film. The way he tells that story is not problematic in any way, also Benigni is incredible. Taika is just an annoying actor.

In the late years someone here in Italy is hating a little bit Life is beautiful cause american producers "forced" Benigni to end the movie with americans saving the people in the camp while in the real history Russians made that 😅

Edited by vale9001

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I just explained that a movie that is marketed with naked Thor is not targeting families as its primary audience. It's for teens and adults first. 

And i didn't say Thor is gonna open with 50M because of Minions. I just said Minions making i don't know 60-70 M in the second weekend and not 30-40 can took something from Thor in some target. 

I was already thinking around 140M for Thor, no I'm feeling 130-135. 

10 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Jojo Rabbit's reception is basically Life is Beautiful 2.0, some people will simply never see it as okay to make a lighter film about that kind of subject, like the bar to clear for something like that to be universally accepted is unbelievably high. Even things that are now classics like Blazing Saddles had very polarizing reception at the time. To be or not to be (1942) was heavily criticized when it was released and did not do well at all the box office . I'm 100% sure Waititi knew when making the film it would be controversial. Winning the Oscar over film twitter darling Greta Gerwig no doubt meant they were out for blood lol. 

As for his overall filmography, I think once he makes a small film again, the critics will be on board and praise him going back to his "roots". I honestly don't take too much stock into MC ratings cause to me there's way too much of an agenda in how critics respond to things, like you can go into any director's filmography, usually their early stuff when they're too unknown is undervalued and then there's usually a huge critical breakout that's overrated and then a critical dropoff when they get tired of them that's kind of extremely harsh (David O. Russell's filmography for example). To me Boy is just as good if not better than Hunt for the Wilderpeople but it didn't get the credit it deserved at the time cause he was simply too obscure. 

Also his television projects have all gotten raves like he just won a Peabody, Indie Spirit, Gotham, etc with Reservation Dogs, which is one of the most critically acclaimed shows on TV now. It sounds like the next 6m or so he'll be mostly working in TV anyways so film people can take a break from him, unless Next Goal Wins becomes an Oscar thing, in which case I'm sure there will be loads of complaining but whatever. 

Taika hasn’t missed with anything he was involved in writing/directing as far as I can see. Reservation Dogs and Our Flag Means Death on TV continue to receive raves, and even his most divisive film (JoJo Rabbit) was always going to be divisive because of the subject matter. Film Twitter is just salty because they like to shit on popular things, it’s always the same, and they’re absolutely not a litmus test for what the GA will or won’t like.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Another 20M of competition from kids animation is not exactly make or break 😂

It's not, but it might drop the bottom end DOM OW expectation down another $10M, b/c Minions will command more screens and showings than expected...ala what TGM did to JWD...

Someone was suggesting Minions over Thor 3 day OW...that might be a good club right now (depending where Minions ends up, but $48M day one should end up in a competitive number)...

I didn't plan for the Minions to absolutely blow up in the same 13-25 male category that drives supers...so it could be Thor has bad timing...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

And i didn't say Thor is gonna open with 50M because of Minions. I just said Minions making i don't know 60-70 M in the second weekend and not 30-40 can took something from Thor in some target. 

I was already thinking around 140M for Thor, no I'm feeling 130-135. 

Minions is not sniffing a 70m second weekend lol.

• Like 2

This movie is going to over or under perform on its own merits, not cause of Minions lmao. Also we’ve seen already this summer that movies can co-exist even if they seem like direct competition and movies can flop despite no competition for the demo (Lightyear).