TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

1 out of past 4 had bad reception. 2 of them do not have bad reception in any sense of the word, they are not rotten. Mixed reception is more what I would define them as having. 

You set unrealistic sky high expectations for every movie. Just because it doesn’t meet your absurd expectations doesn’t mean its bad. In what universe is 75%/85% (critic/audience) score bad? It’s just as ridiculous as that guy saying current MCU movies are flop. 

They have bad reception in several quite reasonable senses of the word, you don’t need to be rotten for that. Being mixed is bad when you’re supposed to be good.   

I set realistic expectations for every movie. The ones that miss are an indication of doing on the weak side.

9 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Before 2021 the MCU lived in the A range on Cinemascore, Thor's B+ was the only exception. Now we are likely gonna have 3 out of the past 4 dropping into the B range. 85% verified audience score isn't good, blockbusters should be aiming for 90s.

If you want a more quantitative point, couldn’t have said it better.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Really? A five percent gap? That's the MCU downfall?

Feels like you don’t know what you’re talking about tbh. The gap will probably widen, but even if not there is a big difference between say 86% and 93%. That is twice as many people disliking it, which also accompanies significant shifts in the amount whole reason medium on it, who liked it, who loved it, etc. 

Mid-High 90s is where decade dominating franchises are forged. Mid 80s is where they die.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Before 2021 the MCU lived in the A range on Cinemascore, Thor's B+ was the only exception. Now we are likely gonna have 3 out of the past 4 dropping into the B range. 85% verified audience score isn't good, blockbusters should be aiming for 90s.

I absolutely agree that there is a downturn in reception and that the trajectory is not good. But calling the reception for something like DS:MOM as bad is absurd. Mixed is more appropriate designation which is what I was arguing. 

Saying reception is bad is just as ridiculous as that guy saying 950m gross is a flop.

12 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

They have bad reception in several quite reasonable senses of the word, you don’t need to be rotten for that. Being mixed is bad when you’re supposed to be good.   

I set realistic expectations for every movie. The ones that miss are an indication of doing on the weak side.

That sentence is ludicrous and nonsensical. Not even going to attempt to respond. 

And no you don’t, you thought Thor would open to 200m at one point. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

This paragraph is ludicrous and nonsensical, because you just did 😛    

Get your own big words!!

And guys lets not do franchise wars stuff. Thread is a mess as it is without having to being DC and others into it

• Like 1

It's possible to both a good and worrying performance. Love and Thunder looks to be jumping from Ragnarok domestically and about flat WW even if the jump is less than hoped for and will likely do the 300/800 sweet spot. Pretty solid for a straight sequel. I have been thinking a while since Endgame and Marvel losing China, 2020s Marvel would be like Pixar in the 2010s. Still having huge hits but not hitting the heyday of Phase 3, which was expected especially when you have ten pieces of media a year. I suspect jumps for most sequels will be more like Ant Man 2 than Civil War for the majority of movies and maybe Avengers 5 does more so NWH range than 2b+ and that's okay. It may not be as big as the Phase 3 days but still do good.

However, what is concerning is that 3 out of the 5 recent MCU films have had mixed audience reception. Yes, everyone and their mom loved No Way Home and Shang-Chi, however it doesn't change the fact that reception for staples have been mixed. I also think for the most part apart from WandaVision, the shows haven't really wowed the GA or left an impact. Some even having the same mixed reception. This situation isn't impossible to fix, an Avengers movie in 2025-ish would likely remedy it and the fact Feige has known to fix things that the GA doesn't like. Cutting down the amount of shows and media from 10 a year to 5-6 would also help quality control even if the wait is slightly longer. What is concerned is if this pattern of mixed audience reception continues, then, yes the MCU could be in some trouble to maybe larger diminishing returns.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If argue that Marvel putting up these kinds of numbers without China shows strength, not a decline.

It's just a matter of readjusting success. However, the concern is if MoM/Eternals/L&T like reception continues in Wakanda, Ant Man and Guardians 3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If argue that Marvel putting up these kinds of numbers without China shows strength, not a decline.

The BO numbers WW-C-R definitely show strength — and especially so given the reception. I think that’s not at all what we’re arguing about though???

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Loki was such a big hit for the service they pivoted their entire release model for originals to Wednesdays instead of Fridays.

Loki did well yes but again Nielsen wise, only one MCU show was able to hit the top 15 in original shows. I don't know the exact numbers but I've heard off a list where they rank all the shows of a year on a list to see how they perform.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Also don’t understand why people are melting down when people rightfully point  out that many recent Marvel films I’ve gotten an average at best reception 

Yup, it's very tedious. It's impossible to have a discussion on here about marvel shifting down a gear without the strawmen coming out.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yup, it's very tedious. It's impossible to have a discussion on here about marvel shifting down a gear without the strawmen coming out.

It feels like a lot of trolling though. If someone has negative to… mixed? feelings about the quality of Marvel movies, why are they making a bunch of posts in the Thor thread?

I can’t imagine going into a thread of movies I didn’t like or was disinterested in and make a bunch of posts about gosh-looks-like-trouble. 

58 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

It feels like a lot of trolling though. If someone has negative to… mixed? feelings about the quality of Marvel movies, why are they making a bunch of posts in the Thor thread?

I can’t imagine going into a thread of movies I didn’t like or was disinterested in and make a bunch of posts about gosh-looks-like-trouble. 

Well a good majority of the people posting in this thread, especially the more frequent posters, are Marvel fans, or are merely neutral towards their feelings on the franchise at worst. At most, people who dislike MCU movies probably only posted like once or twice in here. A lot of people here arguing and talking about the MCU having issues for whatever the reason have expressed enjoyment of a good chunk of Marvel movies in the past or just find discussing the franchise and box office in general interesting. Should they not be allowed to post negative stuff, even though they are fans? That doesn't seem very fair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Well a good majority of the people posting in this thread, especially the more frequent posters, are Marvel fans, or are merely neutral towards their feelings on the franchise at worst. At most, people who dislike MCU movies probably only posted like once or twice in here. A lot of people here arguing and talking about the MCU having issues for whatever the reason have expressed enjoyment of a good chunk of Marvel movies in the past or just find discussing the franchise and box office in general interesting. Should they not be allowed to post negative stuff, even though they are fans? That doesn't seem very fair.

I don’t know everybody’s posting history or fandom so I want to be careful about generalizing too much. 
I definitely feel diehards can beef about things they don’t like about the product. The irritating part for me is the perspective on the numbers. The fact that a Thor movie will be considered disappointing if it doesn’t crush a Batman movie shows a bias that is odd to me as an old man. 

MCU is super polarizing for sure.