TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

The last 2 MCU movies did 1.9b and 950m (both without their second biggest market - China). If this is the criteria for flop what do we call pretty much every other franchise that always does less than this?

Well the box office is still strong but at some point it will catch up to them if they keep producing underwhelming or inconsistent content unless they churn out another massive Avengers thing. 

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The last 2 MCU movies did 1.9b and 950m (both without their second biggest market - China). If this is the criteria for flop what do we call pretty much every other franchise that always does less than this?

Megaflop ;) 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think Marvel is fucked as long as they don't fuck up the Avengers movies. The first Avengers did amazing eventhough the only universally praised hit they had before was the first Iron Man. Although I guess, an Avengers 5 will miss the novelty factor that the first one had so people won't care much about the characters meeting each other. 

Absolutely spot on.   

So far the only entries that the fate on the enterprise truly hinged on have been:

IM1

TA

IW pt1&2

But A5 is next. If it gels, all phase 4 angst will be pretty much wiped clean. If it wobbles significantly … 🚨

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

marvel-studios-phase-4-comic-con?fimg-ss

So Thor Love and Thunder was the last part of the original Phase 4, what did you guys overall think of Phase 4.

Aside from Spider Man(which is not on here) I have zero interest in watching majority of these films and shows.

SC Eternals and Wandavision were great, though not truly tippy top tier. Rest is like half mid and half stinkers. 

I really don't understand how the reception of this film has caused people to act like the entirety of Phase 4 has had a similar reception. I especially don't see how this movie is the one causing that when Eternals reception was much more muted from fans and outwardly negative from critics.

when every movie has people from other movies (it was so necessary to have the guardians here?), when every movie has characters from a tv series, when people from another universe and franchise can appear in this universe who should care to see Shang li and Jon Snow togheter in an Avengers movie. This sh*t is totally uneventful at this point. 

In this new phase they can build the event ad the hype with the multiverse thing. The new x men actors with the old x men and the olds are the villains in this universe and something like that. For other 3-4 years they can exploit this kind of thing. When also this will be over used I don't know. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I really don't understand how the reception of this film has caused people to act like the entirety of Phase 4 has had a similar reception. I especially don't see how this movie is the one causing that when Eternals reception was much more muted from fans and outwardly negative from critics.

It’s the 3rd out of the past 4 to have bad reception, do you really not understand why that is triggering a broader discussion?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

It’s the 3rd out of the past 4 to have bad reception, do you really not understand why that is triggering a broader discussion?

"Bad reception" is extremely relative here. "Not Endgame" is not inherently the same as "everyone hates it". But you guys are acting like everything they e released recently has gotten an Eternals level critic thrashing and not a mostly positive reception.

Like Multiverse of Madness may have been liked more by audiences than critics but it was still very much a success.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Eternals is more easily waved away as a one off and a weird concept that went wrong. Thor is coming off 3 critical and audience hits in a row from Ragnarok to Endgame during which his stock went up like crazy. It feels more disappointing then that this movie is so slap dash and messily put together cause all the ingredients were clearly there.

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Eternals had several excuses, director unfamiliar with big budgets, many new characters, tons of lore, high-concept ideas and well you can just forget about this movie. There are really no excuses for Thor 4.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Eternals is more easily waved away as a one off and a weird concept that went wrong. Thor is coming off 3 critical and audience hits in a row from Ragnarok to Endgame during which his stock went up like crazy. It feels more disappointing then that this movie is so slap dash and messily put together cause all the ingredients were clearly there.

That's not my point: I don't see how the more mixed reception to this has somehow resulted in the narrative being "all of Phase 4 has been received like this" somehow. Like No Way Home was less than a year ago. Shang-Chi and Black Widow we'e also well received, WandaVision was an Emmys darling, there's just a lot of rewriting going on based on extreme recency bias.

Edited by SpiderByte

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

BW -mixed

Eternals - bad to mixed

Dr strange - mixed

Thor 4 is looking mixed too.

That will be 4/6 . There is a clear pattern here.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

"Bad reception" is extremely relative here. "Not Endgame" is not inherently the same as "everyone hates it". But you guys are acting like everything they e released recently has gotten an Eternals level critic thrashing and not a mostly positive reception.

Like Multiverse of Madness may have been liked more by audiences than critics but it was still very much a success.

No one is saying it's outright hated but there is a clear downturn in both critical and audience reception.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Well the box office is still strong but at some point it will catch up to them if they keep producing underwhelming or inconsistent content unless they churn out another massive Avengers thing. 

Agreed but that guy came in here to troll and said that MCU is in era of flop currently. Which is what I was correcting. 

8 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

1 out of past 4 had bad reception. 2 of them do not have bad reception in any sense of the word, they are not rotten. Mixed reception is more what I would define them as having. 

You set unrealistic sky high expectations for every movie. Just because it doesn’t meet your absurd expectations doesn’t mean its bad. In what universe is 75%/85% (critic/audience) score bad? It’s just as ridiculous as that guy saying current MCU movies are flop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

It’s the same discussion that has been going on here for the past 10 years since The Avengers was such a huge success. “I do not like the MCU because of X reasons, thus it’s successful run is finally over.” Yet, the box office results are still outstanding overall. Keep up with the doom and gloom though because you will be right one of these years. . . it just will not be this year and it definitely will not start with this movie.

7 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

Eternals had several excuses, director unfamiliar with big budgets, many new characters, tons of lore, high-concept ideas and well you can just forget about this movie. There are really no excuses for Thor 4.

Yeah and I still think Eternals is indicative of the overall MCU currently though cause in Phase 2/3, they hired  indie directors and made hit after hit with weird ideas. Now it’s more like a roll of the dice, which by MCU standards feels unfamiliar at least in the last 7 years.

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Agreed but that guy came in here to troll and said that MCU is in era of flop currently. Which is what I was correcting. 

1 out of past 4 had bad reception. 2 of them do not have bad reception in any sense of the word, they are not rotten. Mixed reception is more what I would define them as having. 

You set unrealistic sky high expectations for every movie. Just because it doesn’t meet your absurd expectations doesn’t mean its bad. In what universe is 75%/85% (critic/audience) score bad? It’s just as ridiculous as that guy saying current MCU movies are flop. 

Before 2021 the MCU lived in the A range on Cinemascore, Thor's B+ was the only exception. Now we are likely gonna have 3 out of the past 4 dropping into the B range. 85% verified audience score isn't good, blockbusters should be aiming for 90s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

That's not my point: I don't see how the more mixed reception to this has somehow resulted in the narrative being "all of Phase 4 has been received like this" somehow. Like No Way Home was less than a year ago. 

Phase 1 had IM and avengers

Phase 2 had GOTG and winter soldier

Phase 3 had civil war,GoTG2, ragnarok, infinity war, endgame.

All the phases have had stand out films in terms of general consensus.

No one has forgotten NWH and shangchi but 2 B cinema scores with the third most likely to come ,first rotten film.

Using this I think it's reasonable to say phase 4 as a whole has been on a downturn for the most part.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Before 2021 the MCU lived in the A range on Cinemascore, Thor's B+ was the only exception. Now we are likely gonna have 3 out of the past 4 dropping into the B range. 85% verified audience score isn't good, blockbusters should be aiming for 90s.

Like also to me what’s more concerning is their experiment with letting directors have more freedom now that there’s no IW to plan is clearly yielding bad (Eternals) to mixed results (MoM, L&T). their most successful phase 4 films have been the most paint by numbers/inoffensive and I think they will once again go back to the comfort of that brand. 

I mean ffs when Chloe Zhao, Sam Raimi and Taika Waititi who have made mostly critically acclaimed films their entire careers start to fail.. you start to wonder what’s going on.