sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Audience isn't out there pitching studios the movies it wants them to make. No one would have demanded a photorealistic remake of The Lion King if it didn't exist. Disney just makes shit that's the easiest to sell. 

Man it's not like McDonalds is the culinary avant-garde.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Audience isn't out there pitching studios the movies it wants them to make. No one would have demanded a photorealistic remake of The Lion King if it didn't exist. Disney just makes shit that's the easiest to sell. 

To be fair, Disney did try to launch some original live action big budget film but they all failed. John carter. tomorrowland, AWiT, lone ranger. The market out there just isn't conducive for any big budget original film to breakout, especially live action. 

• Like 1

No one "asked" for Titanic, or Avatar, they were not based on things the audience was interested in. And yet they resonated so truly with people that they became genuine sensations across all audiences and became more successful than any film before.

It is really oversimplifying things to say "audiences demand this" or "audiences do not want this".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Week we discuss about Box Office & Hollywood (mostly), don't we?

Disney kinda owns both now, they are the big boys, discussion will start from them and end with them.

I don’t think they own anything, they just made a really good selection of properties this year and the other studios didn’t. Dumbo have a really meh-bad performance this year for example, they’re not bullet proof.

To me others studios are fucked this year primarily because of their own movies, not Disney. Pikachu is really meh, Godzilla is terrible, Dark Phoenix and MIB are disastrous, Pets have a really bad marketing and the original isn’t enough to sustain a sequel, and the examples keep going. When the movies are actually good and with appeal, for example Us, John Wick and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, people show up. 

Maybe Disney didn’t deliver just good movies this year, but they are releasing the movies people are interested in see and they’re decent enough for GA to like them, that’s why they’re dominating now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

When the movies are actually good  for example Us, John Wick and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, people show up. 

I have not seen OUATIH yet. but US was trash. The legs prove the audience didn't enjoy it either. I expect the same for Once...

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, Alli said:

I have not seen OUATIH yet. but US was trash. The legs prove the audience didn't enjoy it either. I expect the same for Once...

Legs? It's been out for one day. 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

To me others studios are fucked this year primarily because of their own movies, not Disney. Pikachu is really meh, Godzilla is terrible, Dark Phoenix and MIB are disastrous, Pets have a really bad marketing and the original isn’t enough to sustain a sequel, and the examples keep going. When the movies are actually good and with appeal, for example Us, John Wick and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, people show up.

You may not have liked Detective pikachu but it was pretty well received. Its underperformance is not down to it being a "bad/meh film", whatever that means.

You say if movies are good, people show up. Well then why does Midsommar only make a third of Hereditary gross?

Why does Booksmart go nowhere?

Why does Alita Battle Angel gross less than the terrible Godzilla 2?

These are films which are loved by their audience. So much more complex than you make it out to be

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I can see why legs are average for US, but for me it’s a great movie, just pretentious, but it’s well made and fun to watch anyway.

Also, the movie opening so big that is expected to have worse legs, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t think they own anything, they just made a really good selection of properties this year and the other studios didn’t. Dumbo have a really meh-bad performance this year for example, they’re not bullet proof.

Maybe Disney didn’t deliver just good movies this year, but they are releasing the movies people are interested in see and they’re decent enough for GA to like them, that’s why they’re dominating now. 

Oh, you took my statement seriously.

I meant that Disney is everywhere and it seems there is a camp being made of people absolutely anti disney, naturally Pro disney will rise.

All in all, Disney will be centre of attraction of almost every discussion.

There are people who think Disney is destroying cinema while others are against that notion, and then there are neutrals, but disney is the common thing in between them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

love it when people use "pretentious" and have no idea what the word actually means

Well here, let me use it correctly then.   

That comment was pretentious.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 6
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But movies like US, John Wyck 3, and OUAT, are making the same amount as movies like Pikachu, Shazam, How to Train3, and SLOP2. It's just that we are in a situation where $150-$200 million is great for one time of film but horrible for another. That's where we are right now. That's because some studios have tapped into how to spur MONSTER blockbusters, making average box office success look horrible. Fractured interests make some look like failures. Disney has excelled in making movies that reach a broad audience because they have existing themes. If the free market is to work, then perhaps the onus should be on the other studios to put out better products IF they want to get $300, $400, and $500 million movies. But I will say that those expectations are VERY unreasonable and unfair to be the measure for success.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

love it when people use "pretentious" and have no idea what the word actually means

"pretentious" means "well made". use a fucking dictionary. Keep up.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You may not have liked Detective pikachu but it was pretty well received. Its underperformance is not down to it being a "bad/meh film", whatever that means.

You say if movies are good, people show up. Well then why does Midsommar only make a third of Hereditary gross?

Why does Booksmart go nowhere?

Why does Alita Battle Angel gross less than the terrible Godzilla 2?

These are films which are loved by their audience. So much more complex than you make it out to be

Is more complex, but obviously i’m talking in general. The big tentpoles this year didn’t do great because the movies are not that well received. 

Midsommar is an art house A24 movie, and from what i read (sadly the movie will be released here just in September) way more weird and polarizing than Hereditary. 

Alita face a lot of delays, problematic marketing campaign, and a not so good release date, it did really well considering the expectations.

Booksmart are released by a really tiny studio, with a really cheap campaign, in less theaters than usual.

I don’t think is fair compared those movies with blockbusters. I keep my opinion that Disney don’t own anything, they just made a good selection this year and are releasing decent enough movies for GA, the other studios failures is more because they’re blockbusters aren’t that good or have that much appeal. The only exception are Pikachu, but Warner did messed up the marketing with this one and was not able to sustain the hype after the teaser.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I know exactly what it means and it is a pretentious movie, there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s really well made even if it have some flaws.