Eric Lasagna

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

44 minutes ago, tawasal said:

When did someone's stage name ever hurt their movie career? This is really a weird thing to complain about. 

There's probably a reason Dwayne Johnson goes by Dwayne Johnson now, for example... Or why Mos Def changed his credit to Yasiin Bey as he shifted to acting primarily... Or why Donald Glover doesn't star in movies as Childish Gambino.

"Awkwafina" was never a good name. That was kind of the point, she started out as a joke rapper... And it was an ironically bad joke in the first place... the idea that she's going to break out as a serious actor with a purposefully bad misspelling of a popular bottled water brand as her name is a pretty silly one... and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts getting cast in follow-up roles as "Nora," which is reportedly what she's called by everyone anyway...

This isn't like Ice Cube or Ice T, who are fine in genre stuff... It's going to be jarring if she goes up for what would be her "Erin Brockovich" and the producers have to put her old dumb joke rapper name on the posters and in the trailers... eventually its going to become a bigger and bigger distraction and people will ask why she's still clinging to her parody name when its obvious she's outgrown it and it was never really a good idea in the first place...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 11

43 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh, you meant the theaters, okay. I thought you meant the entire malls :rofl:

If it's not locked, it's at least going to be #2 and that blows my mind almost as much as NOS refusing to air a Fast & Furious film - not only one of the biggest franchises in the country, but a franchise THEY DISTRIBUTE THEMSELVES - in their own theater chain. That's like Disney owning a theater chain of their own and then deciding not to air The Lion King in their own theaters. What the flying fuck is wrong with this country?!?!?!? :hahaha:

Oh I meant the theaters AND the malls. Fuck that trash.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

So this is definitely sort of a shameless plug, but I am starting a new season of Box Office Survivor!

It's a really fun story-based game that people who like predicting the box office can play!

Here's the link:

oh my god, he said yes.  Obviously let's do this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

There's probably a reason Dwayne Johnson goes by Dwayne Johnson now, for example... Or why Mos Def changed his credit to Yasiin Bey as he shifted to acting primarily... Or why Donald Glover doesn't star in movies as Childish Gambino.

"Awkwafina" was never a good name. That was kind of the point, she started out as a joke rapper... And it was an ironically bad joke in the first place... the idea that she's going to break out as a serious actor with a purposefully bad misspelling of a popular bottled water brand as her name is a pretty silly one... and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts getting cast in follow-up roles as "Nora," which is reportedly what she's called by everyone anyway...

This isn't like Ice Cube or Ice T, who are fine in genre stuff... It's going to be jarring if she goes up for what would be her "Erin Brockovich" and the producers have to put her old dumb joke rapper name on the posters and in the trailers... eventually its going to become a bigger and bigger distraction and people will ask why she's still clinging to her parody name when its obvious she's outgrown it and it was never really a good idea in the first place...

How would we ever know if their stage names would have affected their movie careers?

Can you really pinpoint someone, who had a terrible time getting cast in movies because of their stage name.

No matter how awful someone's stage name might sound to someone, it doesn't decide what you can star in and what you can't. It's a silly stage name, but she seems to like it and haven't hurt her a bit as it seems and haven't anyone else I know of.  

And by the way, why would it matter if her name sounds or looks dumb, if she is well know by it? Her fans and other people would still flock to it, if the movie is sold perfectly in marketing. Anyways she is not like Kevin or Dwayne that sell movies by their name, I don't think she ever will be. 

Edited by tawasal

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

When did someone's stage name ever hurt their movie career? This is really a weird thing to complain about. 

I mean Will Smith stopped going by The Fresh Prince. Mark Wahlberg isn't credited as Marky Mark anymore. It wasn't really a complaint, it's just a ridiculous stage name.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You know Aladdin's run has been insane when 33% seems like a "poor" hold. I am nervous about it not getting an LD expansion and just barely missing 366. I think it will finish at like 364 wo the expansion. 

Lol as long as Aladdin beats that American Sniper trash. Poetic justice. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I mean Will Smith stopped going by The Fresh Prince. Mark Wahlberg isn't credited as Marky Mark anymore. It wasn't really a complaint, it's just a ridiculous stage name.

I know it's a silly stage name. What does it matter is the question, as you said it hasn't hurt her? 

9 minutes ago, tawasal said:

How would we ever know if their stage names would have affected their movie careers?

Can you really pinpoint someone, who had a terrible time getting cast in movies because of their stage name.

It is not stage name or not, it is more the name itself sound.

It could be a bit of silly superstition (or maybe audience evolved), but artist historically have put a lot of weight into choosing their name:

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-with-stage-names/celebrity-lists

Maybe Mahershalalhashbaz Ali Gilmore would have a similar career if he would have kept is name, but it is not a silly move from him to use a stage name.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is not stage name or not, it is more the name itself sound.

It could be a bit of silly superstition (or maybe audience evolved), but artist historically have put a lot of weight into choosing their name:

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-with-stage-names/celebrity-lists

Maybe Mahershalalhashbaz Ali Gilmore would have a similar career if he would have kept is name, but it is not a silly move from him to use a stage name.

Her name doesn't sound as difficult as this Mahershalalhashbaz. 

I don't know though why movies stars choose stage names, I thought that was something only adult movie stars did. I get when they shorten names like that, but some change names that were fine to begin with, because it doesn't sound exotic enough. 

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

Wait they made another movie in the “........ Has Fallen” series.   And it’s not going to streaming.   

The 2nd one was bigger than the 1st one worldwide, so why would it go to streaming?

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

Her name doesn't sound as difficult as this Mahershalalhashbaz. 

I don't know though why movies stars choose stage names, I thought that was something only adult movie stars did. I get when they shorten names like that, but some change names that were fine to begin with, because it doesn't sound exotic enough. 

Gary Grant never would have been Cary Grant if he stayed named Archibald Leach.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lol as long as Aladdin beats that American Sniper trash. Poetic justice. 

I'm a Muslim, but I don't see how a soulless remake by a white dude making more money is a win.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2