Eric Lasagna

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

I'm very confused at the people who are all "I wonder what Disney will do for Labor Day". They have always done an expansion for the summer Pixar movie. Every single one. Every single year. Why would Disney do something different all of a sudden?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm very confused at the people who are all "I wonder what Disney will do for Labor Day". They have always done an expansion for the summer Pixar movie. Every single one. Every single year. Why would Disney do something different all of a sudden?

The June Pixar movie always expands, but in 2012 they added more theaters for The Avengers than the June Pixar. Plenty of years see two large LD expansions, and the non-Pixar selection for this year isn’t completely obvious.   

Also it’s not like they’ve had any real options other than the June Pixar since 2012, so I’m not sure if observing that they’ve always picked it really predicts that much.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

I think the reason the Pixar films always get the Labor Day expansion is because they are usually Disney's biggest tentpole for the summer period. This year seems to be the exception, with the Lion King being their biggest summer film instead of Toy Story 4. 2014 didn't have a summer Pixar film, but Guardians of the Galaxy got a small expansion. 

Toy Story 4 has also been holding theaters much better than other summer Pixar films. By the time of the Labor Day weekend, I think its theater count will still be high enough that it won't be able to expand nearly as much as past summer Pixar films. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Disney will have two films out at the time when it could get LDW expansion.  My question is: Do they expand both TS4 and TLK?  Especially if there isn't much for either to shoot for.

They'll do supermega re-release of EG and go for the head - The Force Awakens :D

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Disney will have two films out at the time when it could get LDW expansion.  My question is: Do they expand both TS4 and TLK?  Especially if there isn't much for either to shoot for.

Also, Inc 2 expanded to get it over 600m.  Disney then said "Screw it" and left it in theaters for three more months and got another 6m out of it:

Legitimately uncertain how Disney plays this post LDW, especially with a possible new paradigm with Disney+.

Like, I am still baffled that they didn't bother to push Christopher Robin over 100m when it was just sitting there at 99m.  Sure, there was a half-hearted expansion in Oct, but... I dunno.  Just weird, really.

I think so on TS4 & TLK.

Especially if Disney want $450M+ for the former and at least close to $570-600M for the latter.

Top playdates
5-Aug-19

2+ H&S
1-Pac Arclight Hollywood   -OUATIH
2-AMC Burbank 30
3-AMC Empire 25, NYC
4-CT Cons Victoria Ward, Honolulu HI
5-AMC Century City CA
6-Regal Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY
7-AMC Orange 30 CA
8-AMC Ontario Mills, Ontario CA
9-AMC Bay Plaza Bronx NYC
10-CM Egyptian , Hanova MD
11-AMC Aventura FL
12-AMC Venterans, Tampa FL
13-HK Estrella Falls, Goodyear AZ
14-AMC Fresh Meadows NY
15-AMC Tysons Corner , Mclean VA
16-HK Cerritos CA
17-Pac Winnetka , Chatsworth CA
18-Regal New Rochelle NY
19-ST Casa Blanca, San Antonio TX
20-Regal Warren 14, Moore OK
21-AMC Disney Springs FL
22-Cen Dolphin, Miami FL

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

TLK will be too fresh for any Labor Day action. A matter of TS4 and/or Aladdin.

Tlk already had its expansion on its third weekend😉.

It will be both ts4 and aladdin that get labor day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Because no other Pixar movie was still in so many theaters as TS4 at this point in the summer. For comparison, I2 was down to half as many theaters by this point. 

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Because no other Pixar movie was still in so many theaters as TS4 at this point in the summer. For comparison, I2 was down to half as many theaters by this point. 

Thats true but then it would be even dumber to expand TLK right because that is in almost 2k more. Sure it will drop in the next 2 weeks before LDW, so will TS4. 

8 hours ago, xiazhi said:

Tlk already had its expansion on its third weekend😉.

It will be both ts4 and aladdin that get labor day.

TLK expansion saved it from dropping 50%. It dropped 49.7%. So they may try to soften another sharp drop with more expansion. They want 600M so that's that. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

TLK expansion saved it from dropping 50%. It dropped 49.7%. So they may try to soften another sharp drop with more expansion. They want 600M so that's that. 

it's now 10m behind I2 after opening 10m bigger with a smaller 3rd weekend. 600 looks well dead.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Its life span is 12 years iirc. That's why I don't do pet, among other reasons.

Shibas live on average 12-16 Guinness world record was a Shiba Inu at 26. I understand what your saying but she was a wonderful dog and really loved my daughter. I would do it all over again.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

???

How can they possibly expand it any more.  Theaters ain't infinite, you know.  Plus with all the new releases coming out this week, it's gonna have a drop.  The only question is how hard of one.

===

Also they may want 600m, but the chances of them getting it are exactly two:  Slim and fat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

???

How can they possibly expand it any more.  Theaters ain't infinite, you know.  Plus with all the new releases coming out this week, it's gonna have a drop.  The only question is how hard of one.

===

Also they may want 600m, but the chances of them getting it are exactly two:  Slim and fat.

:hahaha:

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Are they gonna expand three movies? Other studios are gonna be pissed