Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

So about £1.5m OD. Nothing special but not bad considering most schools are still in and the weather has been good.

So I imagine it's at about £2.5m with Thursday included, should be heading for at least £10m 5-day. Hopefully it gets a nice weekend boost.

DM3 is providing some tough family competition with a second weekend likely over £5m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So about £1.5m OD. Nothing special but not bad considering most schools are still in and the weather has been good.

So I imagine it's at about £2.5m with Thursday included, should be heading for at least £10m 5-day. Hopefully it gets a nice weekend boost.

DM3 is providing some tough family competition with a second weekend likely over £5m.

How did Baby Driver hold up?

7 hours ago, Heretic said:

You imagined a little less for 1st 2 days...5 days atm say 8-9, DM3  4-5 range, BD 1.5

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

You imagined a little less for 1st 2 days...5 days atm say 8-9, DM3  4-5 range, BD 1.5

That's actually quite poor for Spider-Man I'd say. Wonder why... can only think of good weather, and a lot of events going on right now like Wimbledon and the pride march.

10 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

I still cross my fingers for 10 mill and fantastic legs

Good 2nd weekend for DM3. With summer holidays coming up in the next couple of weeks, it should enjoy a long run. Will probably hit £35m, and could get above £40m like both DM2 and Minions. 

Edited by Heretic

$11.8m opening for SM. Around £9m. Decent considering how nice the weather has been this week and weekend. Also, DM is putting up huge numbers so I guess that's proving stiff competition for family audiences. Should be an interesting run to follow.

Apes is out this week and the previous two have been very popular in the UK so Spidey has his work cut out for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

$11.8m opening for SM. Around £9m. Decent considering how nice the weather has been this week and weekend. Also, DM is putting up huge numbers so I guess that's proving stiff competition for family audiences. Should be an interesting run to follow.

Apes is out this week and the previous two have been very popular in the UK so Spidey has his work cut out for him.

Andy serkins, tom holland, christopher nolan;  who is the bigger star in UK?

I wonder how 3 giant blockbuster could co-exist here as UK is looked to be the primary OS market for all those 3 movies...

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Andy serkins, tom holland, christopher nolan;  who is the bigger star in UK?

I wonder how 3 giant blockbuster could co-exist here as UK is looked to be the primary OS market for all those 3 movies...

Summer holidays start in a couple of weeks, that usually aids the staying power of movies in general here. GOTG got a 5x during summer 2014 for example. 

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Summer holidays start in a couple of weeks, that usually aids the staying power of movies in general here. GOTG got a 5x during summer 2014 for example. 

The weather factor seems to be a big factor here in Uk or europe, I don't really see people talk about weather in domestic thread, but those news reporting about box office or thread often cite weather in their analysis. Is there a movie-going habit different across continent?

If so, I wish more rainy days to come so that it drive people into cinema and watch all those well-deserved blockbuster in this july 

41 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The weather factor seems to be a big factor here in Uk or europe, I don't really see people talk about weather in domestic thread, but those news reporting about box office or thread often cite weather in their analysis. Is there a movie-going habit different across continent?

If so, I wish more rainy days to come so that it drive people into cinema and watch all those well-deserved blockbuster in this july 

Early days of heat push people outside, but from the end of July through to the start of September, theres only so much you can do outside, regardless of weather. That's when the legs start to stretch for most of the bigger movies in the market. 

Weather has a massive impact. As we go through summer it becomes a bit less, but still, people would rather be outdoors and have BBQ's etc than be inside a cinema. We've had quite a lot of warm weather so far so box office has suffered a bit.

This week looks cooler, but the weekend could get warmer again. We'll see. 

Edited by Heretic

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

Weather has a massive impact. As we go through summer it becomes a bit less, but still, people would rather be outdoors and have BBQ's etc than be inside a cinema. We've had quite a lot of warm weather so far so box office has suffered a bit.

I would say the early June releases like Wonder Woman and The Mummy were impacted by the weather although WW did have solid legs considering it opened lower than BvS, SS and MOS

The July releases can co-exist, SLOP, Dory and The BFG all co-existed just fine last year. I do think Cars 3 will underperform though, not sure on Captain Underpants or The Emoji Movie. 

Universal’s Despicable Me 3 nears £20m after ten days in play.

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Spider-Man: Homecoming(Sony) $12.1m (£9.4m) $12.1m (£9.4m)
2 Despicable Me 3(Universal) $6.8m (£5.27m) $25.2m (£19.57m)
3 Baby Driver(Sony) $1.8m (£1.4m) $8.5m (£6.6m)
4 Transformers: The Last Knight(Paramount) $567,000 (£440,000) $11.5m (£8.95m)
5 Wonder Woman(WB) $405,000 (£314,000) $27.7m (£21.46m)

SONY

As it did in the US, Spider-Man: Homecoming has swung to the top of the box office on its UK bow.

Sony’s latest Spider-Man offering and first Marvel Studios outing captured $12.1m (£9.4m) from its 616 sites, including $3.35m (£2.6m) in previews. Its Fri-Sun tally of $8.77m (£6.8m) would have also seen it land at number one.

In terms of Marvel outings in the UK, Spider-Man: Homecoming scored the sixth-biggest overall opening, just ahead of Doctor Strange’s $12m (£9.29m) debut from 602 sites, including $4.9m (£3.8m) in previews.

When it comes to Spider-Man films, Homecoming opened ahead of the most recent offering, The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s $11.6m (£9.01m) debut from 548 sites including $3.7m (£2.88m) previews), but behind the best-ever Spidey opening, Spider-Man 3’s $15.2m (£11.83m) from 522 sites.

Spider-Man: Homecoming faces tough blockbuster competition from War For The Planet Of The Apes this week and Dunkirk the following week, but good word-of-mouth and strong reviews should help it hold well.

Also for Sony, Baby Driver fell a respectable 42% (excluding previews) as it raced to a $1.8m (£1.4m) second weekend for $8.5m (£6.6m) to date. It will soon overtake Shaun Of The Dead’s $8.62m (£6.69m) UK result.

UNIVERSAL

Despicable Me 3 fell around 50% on its way to a $6.8m (£5.27m) second weekend as it dropped to second.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment hit is now up to $25.2m (£19.57m) and although Cars 3 arrives on Friday [July 14], it should still hold firm over Saturday and Sunday, before prospering when the schools break up for summer.

Also for Universal, critically acclaimed horror It Comes At Night scared up $291,000 (£226,041) from its 224 sites, and will hope to post solid midweek numbers.

The Mummy stands at $11.1m (£8.63m) and will miss out on £10m.

PARAMOUNT

Falling more than 70% in its third weekend, Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight took a non-final $567,000 (£440,000) for $11.5m (£8.95m) to date.

WARNER BROS

In its sixth week, Warner Bros’ Wonder Woman lassoed an extra $405,000 (£314,000) for $27.7m (£21.46m) to date.

Also for Warner Bros, The House dropped a hefty 72% with a $175,000 (£136,000) second weekend for $1.22m (£948,000) after ten days in play.

LIONSGATE

Following its strong opening, Lionsgate’s All Eyez On Meposted a steep drop of 68% with a $382,000 (£296,085) second weekend for $2.04m (£1.58m) to date.

DISNEY

After seven weeks in play, Disney’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: Salazar’s Revenge has sailed to $25m (£19.4m) following a $101,000 (£78,607) weekend.

Also for Disney, Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 stands at $52.8m (£40.98m), currently the second biggest film of the year.

TRAFALGAR RELEASING

In its second weekend, Trafalgar Releasing’s Alone In Berlin added $34,000 (£26,098) from its 46 sites for $228,000 (£176,845) to date.

Also for Trafalgar Releasing, Glyndebourne Opera’s Hamlet grossed $79,000 (£61,579) from its 106 sites on Thursday [July 6].

VERTIGO RELEASING

From its 41 sites, Vertigo Releasing’s The Last Wordposted a UK bow of $31,000 (£24,322), including $2,300 (£1,771) from one preview.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

The Midwife delivered a $25,000 (£19,765) UK debut from its 20 sites, including previews, through Curzon Artificial Eye.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s War For The Planet Of The Apes (opens July 11) and Disney’s Cars 3.

Universal’s The Beguiled receives a wide release, while Thunderbird Releasing’s David Lynch: The Art Life and New Wave’s The Death Of Louis XIV are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 3

Even with only 3D previews until Friday, Apes looked pretty busy tonight. Shows were only from 8pm onwards, so its first full day is tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a similar opening to Spider-man, or even a bit more.

As for Cars 3, I don't expect much, especially with DM3 doing so well. Somewhere between £3-4m seems likely, although it could easily fall below that. Would be funny if DM3's third weekend beat it. 

SM will probably be 2nd with around £4m.

Edited by Heretic