Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Oppenheimer and Barbie give Vue cinemas best UK weekend since Covid

On Sunday, the cinema chain said a fifth of its customers had bought tickets to see both films in a double bill given the moniker Barbenheimer on social media.

More than 2,000 of Vue’s screenings for Barbie were sold out, according to the company

Tim Richards, chief executive and founder of Vue International, said: “Vue saw its highest weekend admissions since Avengers: Endgame in 2019 with the release of Barbie and Oppenheimer, proving that when the movies are there our customers will come to watch them on the big screen.

In total, the cinema chain had more than 4,000 sell-out sessions across the country for both films.

It comes after cinema chain Odeon reported on Thursday that more than 200,000 advance tickets had been bought and more than 10,000 guests were expected to see both films during the opening weekend.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Actuals

1 Barbie £18.5m
2 Oppenheimer £10.89m
3 MI7 £2.88m
4 Elemental £1.42m
5 Indiana Jones £675k

Even more impressive than the US numbers.

A much better hold for MI7 too. Stronger opening and better 2nd weekend hold than Fallout. 

Fallout had some weird holds here... -66.4% 2nd weekend, 18.9% 3rd weekend. Either way, can't see this falling too far short of $35m here.

Barbie is gargantuan. I have no idea where it will land but considering we're the country where *both* Mammia Mia films have been in the top 15 all time chart at one point, this could go very far (I am not for one second comparing Barbie to MM in terms of quality, but we have a track record of female led films exploding in the right conditions)

£40m for Oppy feels achievable... IMAX sellouts will be fuelling some huge days ahead. Dunkirk's £56m will require godly holds.

• Like 1

Top Engagements

1-BFI Imax, Opp

2-Vue Westfield, London ,B

3-CW Leicester Squ , Opp

4-Odeon Leicester Squ, Opp

5-CW Glasgow Renfrew , B

6-Vue Stratford, B

7-CW O2 Stratford ,B

8-Odeon Trafford, B

9-SC Bluewater, B

10-CW Dublin, B

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Actuals

1 Barbie £18.5m
2 Oppenheimer £10.89m
3 MI7 £2.88m
4 Elemental £1.42m
5 Indiana Jones £675k

OMG. Sunday holds must have been out of this world, like almost flat? Absolutely incredible weekend. 

Barbie and Opp have huge weekdays coming up looking at shows today. £3m for Barbie and near £2m for Opp wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rtheimer said:

Top Engagements

1-BFI Imax, Opp

3-CW Leicester Squ , Opp

5-CW Glasgow Renfrew , B

6-Vue Stratford, B

7-CW O2 Stratford ,B

8-Odeon Trafford, B

9-SC Bluewater, B

10-CW Dublin, B

BFI IMAX must have been close to £200k alone. 17 shows over the weekend which all sold out, 500 seats per show and a minimum of £22 per seat, not including premium it's at least £187k

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rtheimer said:

Top Engagements

1-BFI Imax, Opp

3-CW Leicester Squ , Opp

5-CW Glasgow Renfrew , B

6-Vue Stratford, B

7-CW O2 Stratford ,B

8-Odeon Trafford, B

9-SC Bluewater, B

10-CW Dublin, B

can you post same in germany. thanks.

1 hour ago, Rtheimer said:

Top Engagements

1-BFI Imax, Opp

3-CW Leicester Squ , Opp

5-CW Glasgow Renfrew , B

6-Vue Stratford, B

7-CW O2 Stratford ,B

8-Odeon Trafford, B

9-SC Bluewater, B

10-CW Dublin, B

Hmm, this is interesting. Also, seeing that number 10 reminds me that the UK box office includes Ireland, much like the US and Canada. But, why is Dublin so low given that GDP is so high in Ireland, wouldn't ticket prices be higher as well?

I've simply never seen the cinema like it was this Saturday.

I use the quieter one in my city. I've only ever been to one sell out show there which was Endgame midnight showing.

It took 20 minutes to park because the cinema car park - which I've never known be more than half full - was full with cars milling about waiting. 

Every person (all women bar one) I went with said they planned to see Barbie again (I won't because I'm not really a repeat viewer-type) and that includes plenty of non regular cinemagoers. 

I think in the UK the Mamma Mia comparison is definitely right, or even The Full Monty if we go way back: female audiences here can get hyper loyal very quickly

Not sure what the comparison for Oppenheimer is really. It's its own beast. I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight and I suspect it, too, has a strong future for the next few weeks here.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Oppenheimer and Barbie give Vue cinemas best UK weekend since Covid

On Sunday, the cinema chain said a fifth of its customers had bought tickets to see both films in a double bill given the moniker Barbenheimer on social media.

More than 2,000 of Vue’s screenings for Barbie were sold out, according to the company

Tim Richards, chief executive and founder of Vue International, said: “Vue saw its highest weekend admissions since Avengers: Endgame in 2019 with the release of Barbie and Oppenheimer, proving that when the movies are there our customers will come to watch them on the big screen.

In total, the cinema chain had more than 4,000 sell-out sessions across the country for both films.

It comes after cinema chain Odeon reported on Thursday that more than 200,000 advance tickets had been bought and more than 10,000 guests were expected to see both films during the opening weekend.

Not surprised since Vue's tickets are so much cheaper than anywhere else. You could watch both movies for £10, cheaper than a standard ticket to one movie at other chains.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Also worth a mention is Elemental. It had a pretty decent weekend in the end after recovering from Friday. Down 43%. Should post some good numbers now that kids are on school holidays for 6 weeks.

Yeah I expected Sat/Sun to recover because they suffer less from losing late showings. It's why I'm surprised that Disney's estimate for Sat/Sun in the states is way worse than their Friday number. Seems like a massive lowball to me.

2 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Actuals

1 Barbie £18.5m
2 Oppenheimer £10.89m
3 MI7 £2.88m
4 Elemental £1.42m
5 Indiana Jones £675k

£18.5m! Wow. What a huge event for UK cinemas. Sunday drop must’ve been amazing. 

MI7 seems to be benefiting from being the 3rd option if there were sellouts. The couple in front of us waiting to have their phone scanned were going to see that and they looked a bit harassed lol. 

Edited by Krissykins

Barbie:

highest location average in over 10 years for a WB film

Only £1m less than No Way Home’s 3 day

Oppenheimer:

IMAX was 18%
just under £2m

Both: first time two films have ever opened to more than £10m on the same weekend 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

Hmm, this is interesting. Also, seeing that number 10 reminds me that the UK box office includes Ireland, much like the US and Canada. But, why is Dublin so low given that GDP is so high in Ireland, wouldn't ticket prices be higher as well?

Euro < Pound. Prices in Dublin are also lower than the average in London.

• Like 1

I do think cinemas will benefit from having such big behemoths at the box office. This weekend is holdover weekend with only Talk to Me but then August has 1-2 new releases per week, I would imagine Indiana Jones and Insidious will be gone by August. 

Mission Impossible had a decent drop for its actual three day weekend, it's going to look bad as it had a 7 day opening but that was always going to be the case. Elemental did well too.

I've never really subscribe to the idea that cinemas were on the way out and this weekend is proof of that.