Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So even a “disappointing” number for Bond would still be more than 3 times as much as the current best opening of the year, Shang-Chi’s £5.7m lol. 

Biggest film of the year should be guaranteed. I can’t see anything else hitting this level. 

I think that spidey can,to be honest

45 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So even a “disappointing” number for Bond would still be more than 3 times as much as the current best opening of the year, Shang-Chi’s £5.7m lol. 

Biggest film of the year should be guaranteed. I can’t see anything else hitting this level. 

of course. Bond is Avengers level franchise of UK, so it should be 4x of Shang Chi. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Cineworld haven’t increased the price just for Bond at my local. Shang Chi was the same at £11.99 when it first came out, now it’s £9.99. 

Yeah that was what I thought could be one possibility, so going to check Venom rates now.

Edit: Venom 2 tickets not on sale yet. 

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Almost the other way around, Bond is the king here after all. But the Avengers ain't got shit on the king. 

Avengers level was to convey that, since Avengers is biggest franchise across world, Bond is Avengers level in UK. 

That said, I don't think we will have any film come close to Endgame opening anytime soon 😛

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Avengers level was to convey that, since Avengers is biggest franchise across world, Bond is Avengers level in UK. 

That said, I don't think we will have any film come close to Endgame opening anytime soon 😛

I'd say the UK popularity goes 

1. Bond

2. Potter

3. Star Wars 

4. Avengers

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Bond 3rd weekend is going to be interesting. Venom and Halloween coming in, but I doubt outside of any late night shows PLFs are going to be moving over to them. Dune may not get a normal takeover either the following week either.

Spectre 3rd weekend was 7,833,891 though no big competition, but then also managed 3,821,156 in 4th despite Hunger Games 4 opening. So with HG4 releasing in say Week 3, it could have still don may be 6.5-7, which if NTTD do, can easily fend off #1 against Venom.

Dune may be will open around 4-5M weekend, so won't be surprised if NTTD manage to be #1 in Week 4 as well.

10 minutes ago, Chicago said:

1. Bond

2. Potter

3. Star Wars 

4. Avengers

I used to think Potter being #1 before TFA did what it did, but the next two SW films didn't go great, TRoS opening under Frozen II and TLK, so not entirely sure about that.

But also with peak 3D boost, Potter DH2 was barely able to do 70M. I guess may be Avengers will be #2.

Though box office could be different than actual popularity, but I guess MCU is growing franchise with kids taking it up. Potter is no longer kids friendly I guess, same for Star Wars, and Bond... well.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Spectre 3rd weekend was 7,833,891 though no big competition, but then also managed 3,821,156 in 4th despite Hunger Games 4 opening. So with HG4 releasing in say Week 3, it could have still don may be 6.5-7, which if NTTD do, can easily fend off #1 against Venom.

Dune may be will open around 4-5M weekend, so won't be surprised if NTTD manage to be #1 in Week 4 as well.

Spectre managed to keep IMAX when Mockingjay 2 came out unlike the rest of the world. It somehow had an 8 week uninterrupted run in IMAX before Force Awakens opened. Were Dune not filmed for IMAX, I'd expect NTTD to keep it that weekend too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I used to think Potter being #1 before TFA did what it did, but the next two SW films didn't go great, TRoS opening under Frozen II and TLK, so not entirely sure about that.

But also with peak 3D boost, Potter DH2 was barely able to do 70M. I guess may be Avengers will be #2.

TRoS was very much a victim of the response to Last Jedi and a fairly weak campaign. Potter has always been number 1 for a rabid fanbase, the opening weekend for DH2 when most cinemas hadn't fully switched over to digital projection was unreal, but the legs were pretty standard Potter.

4 minutes ago, Chicago said:

1. Bond

2. Potter

3. Star Wars 

4. Avengers

On opening weekends, Avengers and Star Wars both have 2 bigger openings than any Bond. Potter has one. 

For overall returns the 2012 and 2015 Bond films do better than anything other than Force Awakens. 

As a broad premise I'd concur with your list. Though it would heavily depend on generation.

It's all totally dissonant with me as I have no personal interest in Bond films and haven't watched any in the cinema since The World is Not Enough. I'd say that in terms of overall cultural exposure *most of the time* the other three franchises are more prominent, BUT when Bond's out in cinemas the country sees it as *our* thing and turns out enthusiastically.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Though box office could be different than actual popularity, but I guess MCU is growing franchise with kids taking it up. Potter is no longer kids friendly I guess, same for Star Wars, and Bond... well.

I think TFA had a big curiosity and nostalgia factor. The next two films are probably more representative of the general UK appetite for SW: high but not rabid. Then in addition to already mixed response to TLJ, TRoS had absolutely toxic word of mouth in the UK in my experience.

Potter had a set audience of enthusiasts, even if it was a large one. Bond gets mums, dads, grans and Joe Public out. Huge amounts of non-cinemagoers turn out for Bond.

MCU is definitely the biggest in the under 25s. But it was working up from a much lower base. Potter captured Millenials and pretty much the whole of Phase One of the MCU just wasn't a particularly big deal here at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

On opening weekends, Avengers and Star Wars both have 2 bigger openings than any Bond. Potter has one. 

For overall returns the 2012 and 2015 Bond films do better than anything other than Force Awakens. 

As a broad premise I'd concur with your list. Though it would heavily depend on generation.

It's all totally dissonant with me as I have no personal interest in Bond films and haven't watched any in the cinema since The World is Not Enough. I'd say that in terms of overall cultural exposure *most of the time* the other three franchises are more prominent, BUT when Bond's out in cinemas the country sees it as *our* thing and turns out enthusiastically.

I think it's just an easier sell for the older generation who'd rather a spy movie than watching a bunch of superheros or wizards every year 

But yeah my list required no thought and should be taken with a pinch of salt. TFA I think is our highest grossing movie but 9 times out of 10, the other 3 frachises will dominate it. How do you rank that? 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think it's just an easier sell for the older generation who'd rather a spy movie than watching a bunch of superheros or wizards every year 

But yeah my list required no thought and should be taken with a pinch of salt. TFA I think is our highest grossing movie but 9 times out of 10, the other 3 frachises will dominate it. How do you rank that? 😂

Star Wars in the UK is definitely an interesting case for sure. The sequel trilogy obviously had much higher gross potential then it inevitably did as can be shown by the TFA total and TLJ opening. But I really can't remember another situation where the fortunes of a franchise went so wrong so quickly as it did with Last Jedi. I firmly believe that if Last Jedi were received better it likely would have been bigger than Skyfall by a small margin

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 1