RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

4 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Supposedly she's very good in Euphoria, but I haven't watched it. As a rule of thumb it's a good idea to not judge actors by their performance in a trainwreck, particularly one with a rookie director.

She was solid in The White Lotus as well. I personally didn't think she was particularly good at comedy in Anyone But You and I've seen a good number of reviews express that sentiment, but clearly there are plenty of people who didn't think so or didn't care.

Don't think Madame Web will enjoy the same surprise success that Anyone But You did, though.

41 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

She's great in Euphoria, The White Lotus and the Reality Winner movie about the USAF whistle-blower vet. So kinda surprised to hear that she's not very good in ABY and Madame Web. Maybe she approached these two characters as broad caricatures.

Some people just can't do certain types of content. We've seen great actors fall flat doing guest rolls on studio sitcoms (Brad Pitt on Friends), we've seen great actors fail when it comes to voice over roles (Peter Dinklage in Destiny). It happens.

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Now that I think about it, it's a matter of time before we'll have a new Archnophobia movie coming (Archnophobias?). Probably with Scarlett Johansson returning.

I think you mean Arac Attack SarJo isnt in Arachnophobia

• Like 1

I don’t think we need to claim that Sydney Sweeney “can’t act” because of this film. She was nominated for two acting Emmy’s in the same year. She is incredible in Euphoria. It’s not fair to judge someone’s whole ability on one film. 

They say in Hollywood you are only as good as your last project. So Johnson and Sweeney need to move on quickly to the next one and forget this ever happened. Johnson was probably right to change her agency.

Edited by babz06

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Sweeney will be fine. This is a bad movie, not really her fault (she doesn't headline it so there's that). She has Euphoria and ABY. Trank's F4 didn't hurt careers either.

Except Trank's. 😉

Edited by Jay Beezy

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

She's great in Euphoria, The White Lotus and the Reality Winner movie about the USAF whistle-blower vet. So kinda surprised to hear that she's not very good in ABY and Madame Web. Maybe she approached these two characters as broad caricatures.

Don't take it from me. Regarding ABY, I've read some people feel the same as I do and others who feel differently so you can make your own judgment there. With Madame Web, there clearly doesn't seem to be much to her in this movie due to the writing of her character and the other characters.

I respect Johnson taking a paycheck and then phoning in the press tour. She knew the movie was awful, and isn’t the kind of actress that can hide it. 

Very interesting character.  Her interview with Peri on collider is as frosty as anything I’ve seen lately. Couldn’t meet any of the questions about the film with any kind of enthusiasm. 

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

Don't take it from me. Regarding ABY, I've read some people feel the same as I do and others who feel differently so you can make your own judgment there. With Madame Web, there clearly doesn't seem to be much to her in this movie due to the writing of her character and the other characters.

I had no issues with Sweeney in ABY. Their chemistry worked for me. 

Aww sadly this wasn’t on the Showgirls/Catwoman level I was hoping for. I wouldn’t describe it as camp unfortunately. 

I was mildly entertained throughout though and it does have some funny/cheesy moments. I was glad to see less than the usual CGI/green screen stuff. It doesn’t really know what it wants to be. More entertaining than at least 3 of the superhero films I went to see last year, but I won’t start any wars lol. 

3/5