RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Quantumania is the goddamn culprit. If you release a steaming pile of shit, the more people watch it the more damage it does to the brand, and CBMs in general. It's the opposite of a rising tide lifts all boats situation.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

And unlike Gods of Egypt, Madame Webb seems to not be saved by Chadwick Boseman just 180% hamming it up. 

17 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

And unlike Gods of Egypt, Madame Webb seems to not be saved by Chadwick Boseman just 180% hamming it up. 

And maybe it's just me, but Morbius had Matt Smith hamming it up as well. No one in Madame Web seems to be hamming it up based on what I read, everyone just looks like they don't care.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Dracula Untold is one of the worst big budget movies ever made; rivaled only by dreck like the Landis Frankenstein. Have to assume some of these writers are just not literate considering this is their output

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Apparently the budget on this is only 80 million so there's actually a chance this could break even.

This is going to totally collapse after Presidents Day and it's already floundering overseas (France) so I would be shocked if this gets anywhere near $200M. I hope it doesn't... that would just encourage Sony to keep churning out more cynical cash grabs like this.

2 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

This is going to totally collapse after Presidents Day and it's already floundering overseas (France) so I would be shocked if this gets anywhere near $200M. I hope it doesn't... that would just encourage Sony to keep churning out more cynical cash grabs like this.

They only do these movies to keep the Spider-Man film rights or some shit like that. Madame Web and Morbius would meet the very defination of ashcan films if true.

44 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Apparently the budget on this is only 80 million so there's actually a chance this could break even.

18 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

This is probably why Sony continues to make these movies. With a $80 million budget, it doesn't take much for profitability. Until last year (with Blue Beetle and Shazam 2) the lowest grossing live action Marvel or DC adaptation in the past decade was Fantastic Four I think, with $167 million worldwide. That's already enough for a $75-80 million budgeted movie to break even theatrically. Add in digital rental, TV and streaming deals, and you get easy profit by making cheap, awful Spider-man villain films. Of course, is possible that Madame Web does even worse than Blue Beetle's $130 million worldwide, but even then, the movie is likely to break even in a year. Considering the chance some of those could end up being a big hit like Venom, it's not a bad strategy for Sony. But with the decline of the superhero genre, it doesn't seem like it will be sustainable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

They only do these movies to keep the Spider-Man film rights or some shit like that. Madame Web and Morbius would meet the very defination of ashcan films if true.

Right, but they can still make a decent, or at least not totally incompetent film. They're pissing away their own brand when they release stuff that just becomes an Internet punch line. That doesn't do anybody any good in the long run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Star is Delayed said:

It will break even. Sony was smart to close down crackle and sell the streaming rights to their movies.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ok, let's stop pretending that Morbius is unironically a success

It made its budget back at the box office. When you add in Sony sells the streaming rights to different companies depending on which country you are in. Morbius is in the black.

6 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

True, but Sony had to have known Morbius was a dumpster fire well before release, so they had plenty of time to get new writers. Or perhaps they should have done what the MCU was doing with Blade and push production back until they were comfortable with it, which they still aren't. I mean, wasn't Blade initially set to start production in a similar amount of time from the point when they decided to pull the brakes? I get the driving factor for pushing back Blade was losing the director, but still.

Nevertheless, it’s clear that Sony has no idea how to approach these movies.

I'm not sure the trio of Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman were smart enough to realize that.

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ok, let's stop pretending that Morbius is unironically a success

Morbius made 2.3x it's budget, was skewed to domestic, and was a home media and Netflix hit. It was a success likely.

45 minutes ago, DInky said:

I'm not sure the trio of Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman were smart enough to realize that.

I figured that would be the counterpoint and there's no argument against that. 😆

But even still, what I said is what *should* have been done.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1