kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Hmmm, nice points. We won't really be able to determine active readership. But I think there was also a case of the movie and the book both feeding on each other. By the time the first HP movie came, just about everyone who was interested would have read the 1st book already. In the case of THG, the building hype on the movie increased the sales of the book, and that in turn also further increased the pre-hype of the movie itself. I think it also helped that the marketing for this was really really good. Intentionally leaving all the fight and arena scenes was an act of genius.

Marketing can't be understated. Their understanding of social media and how to manipulate it for their core audience will become a model every rival studio follows. 3 million facebook likes prior to release? The insane twitter trending? There's already a new industry tracking service at HP Labs which has posted results better than the industry leaders just tracking social media as a predictor of box office.

ok saw the film , going to read the books, did not like the story kids killing kids in some twisted post-uprising society where the capitol citizens look like they're high on some mushrooms except for lenny kravitz who probably said hell no!convenient twists

like not having to kill anyone who actually helped her or was nice to her

other things like why the dome where the games takes place is the way it is stuff like that def made me want to read the books, as an avid reader i'm sure i'll like the books better than the film (i hope to anyway) and why they all look (well district 12 for ex) like they live on a mormon fundamentalist compound? why katniss seem to not even notice her mother(what's up with that?)so yeah movie was good even if i don't like the story , think it might not have been as distasteful if there weren't such small kids involved like say only 16-18yrs old eligible, well-paced it didnt seems to long!ps:its one thing to shake the camera but not to point you can't tell what's going on, i actually sipped my pepsi or watched around the room instead!ps2: for once i get there on time, get my pepsi and popcorn on time and got absolutely not one trailer what was up with that? not even BD2 boo!

Since the mobile version of the site makes it virtually impossible to get straight to the end of the thread and I have no idea what point in the thread I'm at, I'm going to say that this is addressing the argument over the popularity of the books helping/most impressive opening.I think that the movie had a bit of a perfect storm, and was helped by the sales of the books completely, the books were a phenomenon before the movie, this OW is a resultant of that. However, the books became a phenomenon after the movie was announced. I think that the hype and promise of The Hunger Games movie that was going to come out as being the next Twilight/Harry Potter created a bandwagon rush to read the books, which are apparently good and word spread like wildfire about them. Without the crazy popularity the books picked up over the past year, the movie wouldn't be getting anywhere near this opening. However, the movie's existence is what prompted that, if no other aspect of the movie or its marketing. Word got around that a new cultural phenomenon was imminent, and everybody wanted to be prepared.The opening without a doubt is one of the most impressive ever, but there is more than enough to support that TDK, Spider-man, Star Trek, Blair Witch, Matrix Reloaded, etc. are arguable challengers. I myself would probably throw in stuff like Alice (as much as I hate Burton and that movie), Jackass 3D (yep), the first Twilight, the first Star Wars (didn't have a monster OW, but had a monster opening based off of nothing but marketing hype), and plenty more into the conversation. The film marketplace is an industry with drastically changing variables over the years. If Twilight had social media and a precedent franchise/phenomenon to be hyped as the successor to, maybe it'd have done this well.This is all not at all discrediting how fucking insane this opening is, of course. One of the biggest surprises I've seen in my time following BO.

• Like 6

Her Saturday # updates are always excruciatingly late. I live in Colorado and it's usually like 2 or 3 in the morning here before she posts them.

Guess I could stay up that late, onlly 1 to 2 in the morning for me.

Using my Droid 3's LEGENDARY keyboard, featuring lit, spacious keys, perfect texture and placement, and a full number key row. No touch keyboard could ever touch this shit.

Hahaha, not an Apple man I take it.

Well I am more interested in THG's OS numbers anyway.... so I will just wait for the official estimates.

Im normally more into the OS numbers, but its been quite obvious for a while that the amazing stories would be coming out of the DOM market, so Ive taken a 50-50 look into this one.