HalloFromGermany

Terminator: Dark Fate

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Dark Fate indeed.

A sign of things to come for Avatar 2.

First Alita...still managed to do okayish for a not so well known IP.

Now Terminator doing badly for a well known IP

So I'm not crazy. I thought the same, that there are warning signs that Jimbo lost his Midas touch.

It won't become easy. But that was clear from the outset. Even hardcore fans are sceptical.
I think it's way too early to know how it will be received WW. It could do very well e.g. in Asia and South America. And this time WOM will help more than it helped T: G. 

PS: Pure OW in Germany for T: G was 223k admissions (almost no Wednesday previews this time) and it had 807k total admissions.
Reports said that the weather in Germany was better than predicted. And because it could have been the last weekend with beautiful and warm weather I guess that many people rescheduled their free time activities. At least I hope that this was the reason.

Edited by el sid

This movie isn't anyone's priority good weather or not. Doubtful people will flock to it to catch up later. They are likely saving money for Frozen 2. Or they'll see Joker again. 

Nothing about DF screams event. It's been there done that only with now very old heroes and a bunch of nobodies (both actors and characters). reviews are blah. Not a disaster but definitely not must see. Marketing was awful. 

There's nothing about this movie to root for except that it tanks so they put the franchise out of misery. I hope Asia doesn't come to the rescue for once.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This movie isn't anyone's priority good weather or not. Doubtful people will flock to it to catch up later. They are likely saving money for Frozen 2. Or they'll see Joker again. 

Nothing about DF screams event. It's been there done that only with now very old heroes and a bunch of nobodies (both actors and characters). reviews are blah. Not a disaster but definitely not must see. Marketing was awful. 

There's nothing about this movie to root for except that it tanks so they put the franchise out of misery. I hope Asia doesn't come to the rescue for once.

Not all is wrong what you wrote but that could be said for a lot of other movies and mainly I don't understand why you are rooting against a movie only that a handful of movies who are already or will be super successful become even more successful. Not cool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, el sid said:

Not all is wrong what you wrote but that could be said for a lot of other movies and mainly I don't understand why you are rooting against a movie only that a handful of movies who are already or will be super successful become even more successful. Not cool.

TDF is exactly the kind of movie studios shouldn't make. Why? Because Terminator and T2 already said everything that should be said. It's a waste of money that could have gone to something relevant. Every freakin unnecessary sequel means that original movie or potentially good adaptation isn't made. It's a colossal waste of resources. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

TDF is exactly the kind of movie studios shouldn't make. Why? Because Terminator and T2 already said everything that should be said. It's a waste of money that could have gone to something relevant. Every freakin unnecessary sequel means that original movie or potentially good adaptation isn't made. It's a colossal waste of resources. 

For sure it's a waste of time here at the moment. 
That's your opinion, fine, but tastes differ. As to me other movies (also some original ones) are a waste of money and resources. But nobody forces me to see them.
E.g. a lot of people said that they want to see at least one good Terminator film after three not so good sequels. Maybe this is this film. Frozen 2 is also a sequel where we don't know yet if it's good or ambitious or if they just want more money after the big success of the first.
People will decide.

• Like 1

Fan reviews on IMDB absolutely demolish this thing. They say it's the worst parts of T3, Salvation and Genysis rolled in one and spoilers really sound like it. It's a skip with baffling development on T-800 side (LOL, if so many didn't confirm it I'd think they were joking) and a terrible new character (some Mexican girl that can't act for shit - everyone hates that character). They like Linda and Makenzie but says they weren't given much to do and that the movie is really boring and slow paced. So doesn't sound like West Europe is missing anything. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Knock It Off 1

Dark Fate could obviously do well in other markets so the box office story isn't yet written but I really can't help but think that it needed like an 85-90% Rotten Tomatoes score/really good reviews to totally save the franchise. The reviews are okay (people don't give a crap about top critics, they look at the overall score) but not amazing. I think they should have gone smaller anyway. I adore both T1 and T2 but they have already rehashed T2 to death, how about trying something new and rehashing the first film's small scale horror?