CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

I do not think this film can get large weekdays, however it will likley mean a massive 2nd weekend.Even with a 60% drop and even Twilight 1 got only a 62% drop in the 2nd weekend will mean a 2nd weekend of 62 million

I just can't get my head around this. The Hunger Games is the first film in a series, had no pre-fanbase except for book-readers, it's March, and this just had one of the most attended weekends on record.

Exactly my sentiments.

• Founder / Operator

I just can't get my head around this. The Hunger Games is the first film in a series, had no pre-fanbase except for book-readers, it's March, and this just had one of the most attended weekends on record.

Its Potter Redux, really. When teens latch so passionately onto something like these book series, the mainstream becomes interested in this day and age.

Yes, this is basically the first Potter, which adjusts to 125 mill. Add another 12 or so for IMA that THG got and then the midnight frenzy that is much more prevalent now and you have 2001 all over again.

• Founder / Operator

What about legs?Here's a crazy notion: I'd bet a huge portion of THG's audience not only grew up on Potter, but probably weren't even old enough (or just barely) to SEE the first Potter in 2001. :oTalk about filling a void.

Potter definately set the foundation of the teenage book rush. Twilight expanded on the hightened frenzy to "see it immediately." So... Hunger Games is simply taking into account both forces already established and using them to its advantage. Enjoy it for what it is people. Don't hate.

I honestly have a feeling they are lowballing the Sunday number. I have a feeling we are looking at TDK but to a lesser degree (that Saturday was saturated and there will be spillover to Sun). I'm thinking it could approach 40M for Sunday and possibly go over.

Okay....it has happened....I'm intrested in seeing it now....

Read the book first, Impact. I did and once I opened it, I couldn't put it down. Movie really does the book justice, yes there are some nitpicking omissions and changes, but overall, it was very well done.