TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Usually, i would be very interested in what the critical reception is going to be, but after the fiasco of the previous film, i have no faith in the critics' ability to leave their own preconceived bias at the door. I would be shocked if the film has a higher grade than 70 on MC.

The first ''Joker'' has worse reviews on Metacritic than 'Wonder Woman 2'', while being a vastly superior film in every facet of filmmaking from acting, score, to cinematography and directing. It has worse reviews than ''The Incredible Hulk'' and ''Captain Marvel''.  All the criticisms they lashed out at the film ''Scorsese knock off!!'', ''It will inspire people to riot and shoot people'', ''It excuses violent behavior'', have been very appreciated in other films, underlining the hypocrisy when this film is in question. 

''American Hustle'' was just as big of a Scorsese knock off, and yet it has 90 on Metacritic, while being an insufferable film that has aged out of existence. ''Let Me In'' was an almost shot-for-shot copy ''Let the Right One In'' made for illiterate Americans that can't be bothered to read subtitles and it has 79. It's a definition of a creatively bankrupt endeavor. ''The Force Awakens'' might as well be remake of ''A New Hope'' but they didn't mind when nostalgia was giving them those dopamine rushes. 80 on Metacritic.

The John Wick films are far, far, FAR more violent, brutal, mindless and over the top in their repetitive killing and lack any discernable morality, but i haven't seen the critics clutch at their pearls that kids will suddenly blow a classroom because of them. Not to mention that the last three of the films have Metascores of 75, 73 and 78, respectively.

I say all this as someone who wasn't a big fan of the film, and especially of Phoenix' performance. Apart from the talk show scene, i never bought his performance, i could feel the strings behind the mannerisms unlike Ledger's Joker, where even after 50 re-watches i never see the actor, only the character. But still, it's a film that was impeccably shot, scored, directed, and it was never reviewed for what it was, but for what the critics thought it represented. It never got a fair chance, ever since those ''Is the Joker a dangerous film?'' articles even before the film came out, and i was delighted it had such an amazing awards run and it turned into a box office juggernaut, despite all of that. 

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

51 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

What the hell? Why did someone delete my post?

We can't talk about the critical reception of the previous film, while awaiting the critical reception of this one? I guess this forum isn't for me, if mods delete posts that have absolutely nothing controversial in them, with no explanations.

Well if you want an answer, I hid your post because we don’t do this “critics are out to get this movie” rhetoric, because it is conspiratorial and an easy starter for flame wars. You may think this isn’t controversial, but it 100% is.  I’m just doing what I think is best for the forum. You may not like it, but it’s just how things are run. But if you’re really this passionate that your post must be seen, I decided to unhide your post. We will not allow this kind of rhetoric further, but I suppose I can let this one post slide. If you wish to discuss this further with me, my PMs are always open.

4 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Well if you want an answer, I hid your post because we don’t do this “critics are out to get this movie” rhetoric, because it is conspiratorial and an easy starter for flame wars. You may think this isn’t controversial, but it 100% is.  I’m just doing what I think is best for the forum. You may not like it, but it’s just how things are run. But if you’re really this passionate that your post must be seen, I decided to unhide your post. We will not allow this kind of rhetoric further, but I suppose I can let this one post slide. If you wish to discuss this further with me, my PMs are always open.

I appreciate your response, and i thank you for returning my post. I won't post any more posts of that kind, if it's deemed controversial and polemical.

• Like 1

It was really obvious there was a strong dissonance between critical reception on US and overseas last time. So it wasn’t even a “critics bad”, more of a cultural thing.

It was funny tho how the first movie came out of Venice with like 95% and 8.8 average just to drop to 67% or so with all the dangerous violence discourse that defined the movie on US.

So yeah i don’t know what to expect from this either. But i think if it’s divisive again, it’ll only help the movie image as something “edgy”. It’s a win-win situation.

• Like 3