TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Right. Venice killed the excitement here. Firmly believe that if Venice and reviews had even average buzz, we would be talking a $85-100m opener. The curiosity factor would still exist to a sizable degree, instead it is completely gone.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

the fact that Gaga is so fucking underutilized not just in the film but also in the marketing is a travesty.

Gaga as Harley Quinn had the potential to be the most impactful casting since Jack Nicholson. How on Earth did they not have Gaga belting out some hits featured prominently in the trailer ala A STAR IS BORN trailer? She needed to be front and center here, instead she took a huge backseat in the advertising. 

WTF were they thinking. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

There isn’t one problem in the movie like the musical aspects. There’s multiple big problems in basically every department. That’s why it’s getting such negative reviews. It is more than just pissing of “hardcore fans” that many expected. 

Yep. I'm someone who actually only got excited for this movie originally because the concept of a joker musical was intriguing and I love musicals. And what took the wind out of my sails was that reviews weren't bad from just the people I expected to hate this on principle. Reviews calling it dull, lifeless, etc. Saying the musical numbers were half baked. All of those things turned me off.

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Who else remember when the initial reviews were poor and then people were like "but the first one also got bad reviews, reviews won't affect this"? 

"The score will increase as more reviewers watch it!"

"The first one was also not loved by the critics!"

"Only American critics dislike the first!"

Amount of copium and revisionist history along with it was hilarious. Like bruh, the first got all the hype and pre-sales it did because of the acclaim it got at Venice and Palme d'Or wins a month before release. This film was being rejected there since the first day!

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Gaga as Harley Quinn had the potential to be the most impactful casting since Jack Nicholson. How on Earth did they not have Gaga belting out some hits featured prominently in the trailer ala A STAR IS BORN trailer? She needed to be front and center here, instead she took a huge backseat in the advertising. 

WTF were they thinking. 

Todd Phillips is too straight to understand the value he has in Gaga. Simple as that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

"The score will increase as more reviewers watch it!"

"The first one was also not loved by the critics!"

"Only American critics dislike the first!"

Amount of copium and revisionist history along with it was hilarious. Like bruh, the first got all the hype and pre-sales it did because of the acclaim it got at Venice and Palme d'Or wins a month before release. This film was being rejected there since the first day!

You get this crap from the Stans every time a movie they supported gets a bad reception.

I think stannng for a movie....giving it over the top support without having seen it...is just plain stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

WTF were they thinking. 

ALl we got was her singing the first line of 'Get Happy" 

I don’t see how this movie being panned changed the fact that the first movie isn’t acclaimed either on US (but it was acclaimed everywhere else). It’s just worst this time and now the audience agreed, something no one knew for sure until this week.

This desperation to proof how “i was right all the time” is funny. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wattage said:

I want to study Todd Phillips brain in a lab so I can understand how he approached this movie and why. What did he think he was going for exactly. I don't know so I can't say whether he did it or not.

In that big Joker 2 Variety profile, Bradley Cooper said he was basically channeling Todd Phillips when he played his Hangover character, lol, make of that what you will.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is insane … i wonder what extra impact Joker 2 disaster will have in this approach 

Hollywood is culturally dying indeed lol 

Worst idea ever.

Hard core fans are the LAST people on Earth studios should consult.

I am convinced a CBM movie where the hard core fans has their way would be a disaster on every level.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

The more I think about it the more upset I get like this really was such a waste. It's not a good musical. It's not a good courtroom drama. It's not a good exploration of his psyche or a deconstruction of the character. It's not a good twisted romance. Just failure on so many levels. I can't even say it's the worst movie ever or so bad it's good or really anything like that. It doesn't fail to so anything spectacularly either it's just painfully middle of the road on all attempts. There's so many seeds of good ideas here, the concept on its face is good. Just so irritating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Worst idea ever.

Hard core fans are the LAST people on Earth studios should consult.

I am convinced a CBM movie where the hard core fans has their way would be a disaster on every level.

It will and i can’t wait for the 200M movies decided by fans flopping hard and being awful like a reddit post in form of scripts

Maybe this will finally make these people grow up 

• Like 1