TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Yeah, given all the talent involved, the insane budget for this makes sense (also, how expensive music licensing can be). It was an easy payday for all involved. Can't blame them for taking the money. 

I'm still going to see this obviously, but given that I was among those who thought its predecessor wasn't that great of a movie and didn't deserve all the accolades it received (or the manufactured controversies around it), I can't claim to be disappointed by the reception so far.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, given all the talent involved, the insane budget for this makes sense (also, how expensive music licensing can be). It was an easy payday for all involved. Can't blame them for taking the money. 

I'm still going to see this obviously, but given that I was among those who thought its predecessor wasn't that great of a movie and didn't deserve all the accolades it received (or the manufactured controversies around it), I can't claim to be disappointed by the reception so far.

And,Musical Numbers are not cheap to do because they are time consuming , they require lots of rehersel, and  time quite literally is money in filmmaking.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first. largely because Phoenix was so good, but I stand by my statement it is not nearly as revoltionary a movie as some fanboys think. 

Oh, I will still go see this because I am curious as to what Phillips did to try to pull this off, but I think this being some massive huge  phenemenol sucess seems to going off the table.

But I see some of the fanboys for this movie are in the first stage of gireving: Denial.

Like I said several weeks ago, if this really is a true musical + courtroom drama than yeah this could surely go below $100M OW and be in danger of missing $700M WW. Doesn't really look like it will recapture that lightning in the bottle again and the CBM demo will just not show up to a 2 hour musical/courtroom film. 18-35 male demo generally hate musicals and legs will suffer for it (unless Joker 2 can pull other demos in through WOM)

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Like I said several weeks ago, if this really is a true musical + courtroom drama than yeah this could surely go below $100M OW and be in danger of missing $700M WW. Doesn't really look like it will recapture that lightning in the bottle again and the CBM demo will just not show up to a 2 hour musical/courtroom film. 18-35 male demo generally hate musicals and legs will suffer for it (unless Joker 2 can pull other demos in through WOM)

So you were probably correct when you said Joker 2 wouldn't even make the top 5 of the year worldwide (you said $850M). 

I think there's too much panic, I don't remember if there was panic when the first one's critical reception nosedived, but I can assume there was, plus all those controversies. Until we have at least first pre-sales data, which will be available early next week, there's nothing to worry about yet.

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Like I said several weeks ago, if this really is a true musical + courtroom drama than yeah this could surely go below $100M OW and be in danger of missing $700M WW.

I remember similar things being said about the first one being a dark thriller and drama about serial killer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I think there's too much panic, I don't remember if there was panic when the first one's critical reception nosedived, but I can assume there was, plus all those controversies. Until we have at least first pre-sales data, which will be available early next week, there's nothing to worry about yet.

I remember similar things being said about the first one being a dark thriller and drama about serial killer.

CBM fans love dark thrillers. Winter solider, TDK, The batman etc. Musicals are completely untested 

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Re: "The first movie also had bad/divisive reviews"

The first movie had an 89% RT coming out of Venice

It got worse initial reviews, no doubt about it. But it can go either way after hundreds of reviews on release. Dial of Destiny was really rotten out of Cannes, but now its RT is around 70% (I hope it's much better than Dial of Destiny though).

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

CBM fans love dark thrillers. Winter solider, TDK, The batman etc. Musicals are completely untested 

I wouldn't call Winter Soldier a dark thriller, but you are right that musicals are completely untested. But let's just say grounded social dramas without action and cape didn't make over a billion before either.

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It is. And even people like musicals are saying they didn't like all the numbers that much. Or how the musical part Is used in general.

It's kinda clear the average film bro liked the First one (most of them a conservative audience) won't like this just because is a musical of this kind. 

And i don't think at this point other new demos weren't there for the first movie will be enough to make it bigger than the first.

But i mean 700-800m would be great too of course. Even if doing around dune numbers would be very surprising. But more because dune made way more than expected than a joker disappointment.

38 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I wouldn't call Winter Soldier a dark thriller, but you are right that musicals are completely untested. But let's just say grounded social dramas without action and cape didn't make over a billion before either.

if Winter Solider was not a dark thriler, there is no such thing.

The whole idea behind Winter Soldier was to do a CBM version of the Paranoid Political thrillers of the 70s'. (Robert Redford starred in a number of them which was a reason they cast him).

Guy, you can spin all you want but Joker 2 is unknown territory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

1) Winter Soldier is not a dark thriller at all. May be just a little bit less Marvel then usual.

2) Musicals are completely untested, unnecesary sequels with messy convoluted concept especially, but we all know there's no chance for good ending of this story.

22 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Revisionist history is funny.

As I said, this films fanboys are still in the denial stage of grieving.

Oh, the film will still be a hit and make a good profit for WB, but it looks more and more unlikely it is gong to be the kind of massive huge hit the fanboys were expecting.