Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel can never score like Star Wars because of DC rivalry. 

Atleast for Mandalorian 99% of fanbase was united. 

Marvel movies and same goes for DC movies are mostly reviewed negatively by rivals. 

I’ve got a friend who is a DC fan first and foremost and he’s currently refusing to watch WandaVision because of how Marvel properties tend to review well while DC struggles with critics occasionally. I just can’t get my head around that way of thinking at all, surely if you like comic books and comic book movies, you should be happy to see both brands succeed. It’s not an either/or situation. When DC makes good films I’m happy to watch them, likewise with Marvel. I just don’t understand this blind loyalty to a brand at all. It’s like someone saying “I’m not watching WB movies anymore because they review well, it’s Sony all the way for me now!”...it’s silly.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Isn't secret the formula they use ? Anyway in this example only 12 of the 2,700 1/10 vote are from the top 1000 rater group, probably irrelevant

Around 10y back, according to someone then being involved: Then they excluded eg people rating 1 or 10 with new accounts, not often ratings giving, and I think it was also the sole 1 and 10 star givers. But then the people being active with ratings regularly, also ... did count, even if they gave biased for fanatism, as those fell through the raster

again yes and no, if its still similar to then it impacts surprisingly heavy, but see my remark about the majority of those did not arrive yet... those did not arrive yet. And as long as WandaVision does not get praised for what might start triggers, they might not arrive.

Do not discount the 2-star and 3-star raters (and if a movie is critically acclaimed, like top 100 movie of the decade, then also the 4-star, and 5-star rater to a degree) of that group (generally speaking) in the sum they do have an impact.

As the 1000 top are giving an average of 7.0 its still less than the general average, but as its only 1.0, ....

My explanation was also in answer to the general question about IMDb, not solely about WandaVision, hence the little words like not yet, and the other example, not IMB specific

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

But those 10 don't cancel 1s. I have noticed this always not only with Marvel and DC. 

But in India also where actors' fandom usually fight a lot and manipulate rating. 

Depends on the proportions of course, bu but yeah, need 4-6 10s per 1 to cancel out somewhere in the 8s (for arithmetic mean, not necessarily imdb’s secret sauce weighted mean).

Median is more reliable anyway, makes 1s and 10s fully cancel.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Depends on the proportions of course, bu but yeah, need 4-6 10s per 1 to cancel out somewhere in the 8s (for arithmetic mean, not necessarily imdb’s secret sauce weighted mean).

Median is more reliable anyway, makes 1s and 10s fully cancel.

Median does lose some discriminatory power though. E.g. ep 4 on 9.1 mean is median of 10. So is The Rescue, on mean of 9.8, obviously stronger reception.   

You could look at 75th percentile rating to try to get around that.

5 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve got a friend who is a DC fan first and foremost and he’s currently refusing to watch WandaVision because of how Marvel properties tend to review well while DC struggles with critics occasionally. I just can’t get my head around that way of thinking at all, surely if you like comic books and comic book movies, you should be happy to see both brands succeed. It’s not an either/or situation. When DC makes good films I’m happy to watch them, likewise with Marvel. I just don’t understand this blind loyalty to a brand at all. It’s like someone saying “I’m not watching WB movies anymore because they review well, it’s Sony all the way for me now!”...it’s silly.

Same

my theory about perceived differences is probably not the most common one:

Spoiler

I do tend to like recently (aehm the last decade) more of the Marvel than the DC movies (earlier it was solely DC moves, I started Marvel with the first X-Men movie, but watched it years later), but that is also bcs I do not like it in general if eg a criminal gets to be the title/main lead, has nothing to do with DC comics.

I like and dislike movies of both groups.

I do not feel the ratings of established critics are more pro or contra overall, like if you look at them for the last some decades, I feel the expectations of them are different/moving, incl based on who does what.

Like if my expectation is to get to see something lighter, and it does full-fill it, it will get better averages. After Nolan’s TDK I feel the expectations of the critics were not realistic for DC movies in general, but also some of the movies released delivered not as advertised. And then I am not as convinced as some about all critics see darker automatically and over many years as more worthy, like I’ve seen as reasoning why DC is better. A first one, an exceptional one, yes, but not as the movie #??, if not dome in a great way. Maybe the expectations if a movie is announced to be a better one bcs ‘dark’/real,... and it does not deliver in the typical for awards important details, then the critic might be disappointed and rate accordingly.

See expectations and advertised as.... again

I say since ages I feel established critics should be able to let their expectations before the cinema (at home), too many are not able or not willing to take that extra effort (mentally)

I think the difference of the POV of fans and critics got in part overly sensitive with the TDKR, fans used the microscope to look through critics reasons, critics were not happy with death threats,.. in the sum its in my POV not so much as some see it about the difference between MCU and DC, its IMHO more about a part of the DC fans (and some who still have a remaining feeling of...) and all the others see critics, to come down on both sides.

It gets better, but as long as there is a ‘burned’ feeling (no matter the side) it wont be back to just be fun

Btw, I feel like that sice before MCU existed, in the past there were too tendencies of critics to rate eg genre in general worse, those kind of movies getting snubbed at awards (in part its still like that), not only bcs those kind of movies my opinion a professional critic should ignore expectations is an old one.

• Like 1

I had...

Spoiler

...been expecting Evan Peters to show up this whole time because it was leaked at some point last year that he was gonna be in this, but the reveal was that they actually recasted Pietro with the other actor who has recently played him on the big screen (and are acknowledging it via Kat Dennings' last line)? And it's clearly not the same Quicksilver from the Fox X-Men movies because Peters is playing the part like here ATJ (wonder if he'll appear again at all) did in Age of Ultron. So many possibilities. Excited for the remaining episodes.

Not the only one who feels there's definitely much more to the Agnes character than meets the eye, right? The fact a name actress like Kathryn Hahn (who is killing it with what she's been given so far btw) is in the part indicates such.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

name actress like Kathryn Hahn (who is killing it with what she's been given so far btw) is in the part indicates such.

I feel like we might see quiet a few of the big names not killed on screen and being on the good side again, if in movies or in MCU shows.

Still waiting for at least two out of GotG 1 again

FInally got caught up on this show.

Certainly was not what I was expecting. But I think the sitcom idea worked, was even funnier if you grew up watching reruns of classic sitcoms on TV. 

Once again, Feige shows he does not want to give us a "Standard Issue" comic book based show.

• Like 3

And  I have to agree, Marvel is very subtly beginning the set up for the X Men to enter the MCU with this...

Not surprised the 60's episode was full of "Bewitched" references.

And I was fully expecting the 80's to have "Full House" references,for obvious reasons.

I would not be surpised to see Elizabeth Olsen's older sisters to do a cameo somewhere down the line......

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I had...

Reveal hidden contents

Not the only one who feels there's definitely much more to the Agnes character than meets the eye, right? The fact a name actress like Kathryn Hahn (who is killing it with what she's been given so far btw) is in the part indicates such.

I think she is the main villain.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

tried it, Yahoo forces me (as usual) to visit another website to clean out who can access my privacy data. That external website works (as usual) not, means the only possibility to read yahoo based articles, blogs,... would mean to allow a LOT of companies access. 

So, what is the joke or detail about?

(I am guessing joke based on reaction given to your post)

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

tried it, Yahoo forces me (as usual) to visit another website to clean out who can access my privacy data. That external website works (as usual) not, means the only possibility to read yahoo based articles, blogs,... would mean to allow a LOT of companies access. 

So, what is the joke or detail about?

(I am guessing joke based on reaction given to your post)

Spoiler

It's an interview from the press tour for (the ill-fated final Fox X-Men movie) Dark Phoenix in 2019 with Evan Peters, Alexandra Shipp (who played Young Storm in the Fox X-Men movies), and Tye Sheridan (who was Fox Young Cyclops) where the interviewer asks them about the future of X-Men after the Disney sale. Shipp and Sheridan are enthusiastic and hopeful about returning to the roles while Peters is pretty much quiet aside from a look on his face that screams "I know something you both don't" lmao.

• Like 1

For those wondering, WandaVision is now almost as strong as The Mandalorian at the same period according to Parrot Analytics, at least in the US, but it's been reported in the past that the show was stronger in other countries such as Brazil, France and Germany so maybe it beat Mandalorian there, who knows (Brazil = 100% sure).

parrot-analytics-digital-originals-jan31

• Like 7

Wow! Clone Wars is doing crazy good. Is Cobra Kai really that good?

Anyway, as far as the IMDB goes, I think WandaVision is overrated. It's a B/B+ show for me so far which isn't bad, but I don't feel this is on par with Marvel Studio's best nor is it as good as The Mandalorian. However, seeing how this seems to be a mini-series, we will have to see how the remaining episodes play out. I'm grateful actually that this will probably be a one and done. I think it's obnoxious how many shows go on past their expirations just because. 

Titans viewership is also very impressive considering it's on HBOmax

Edited by CloneWars
  • Knock It Off 1