Eric Prime

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe black movies like Madea or Just Mercy, sure. But Black Panther and ID4 and such, movies with a brand to them, don't really discriminate whether you're black white or Asian.

that is not true, and get out and us having way weaker gross overseas is proof

3 minutes ago, aladdino said:

What about Halloween? What does that one prove? 

Horror movies are just usually weaker OS besides one or two exceptions.

• Like 1

@LawrenceBrolivier thanks for reading the piece and for the kind words. I think more than any other genre horror has got to be the most subjective even more than comedy. What scares or entertains one person or talks to a person can mean nothing to somebody else. When you say that you don't think the film's I have listed here truly represent what has been going on with horror for the last decade, I disagree with you. And keep in mind this is a top 10 list. I had an incredibly difficult time narrowing this down to just 10 films as there are probably 40-50 good horror films over the last decade.

Green Room, Don't Breathe, a quiet place, Train to Busan, Raw, Baskin, The Conjuring and so many others were in my top 25.

I love differing opinions so thank you for yours and I would love to see what your top 10 list is as well.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, aladdino said:

Are you trying to be a contrarian with every God damn post? Okay I appreciate that you're fairly new here but you really say a lot of ill-informed things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How does BOM have Monday's numbers already? I know it's an estimate but it seems kinda presumptuous to post that on a Sunday. 

Historical data. Not hard to project when you have 20 years of data to back you up.

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How does BOM have Monday's numbers already? I know it's an estimate but it seems kinda presumptuous to post that on a Sunday. 

It's a normal thing they do for 4 day holiday weekends. The monday numbers are basicly an educated guess on the parts of the studio's. (for example they also don't have a lot of sunday data yet so thats also a guess bassed on presalles and morning shows on the eastcoast. )

Edited by pepsa

I am telling you BadBoys is looking good OS so far:

$38.6m OW, OS markets (specialy Europe and Oceania) have good legs, the genre itself it also good for bigger multies.

So 38.6m (with actuals probably $40m) with a 3x mutli = $120m

It has Japan, France, Italy, Russia and Brazil left as big markets they should add $25m - $30m add another 10 small markets that add another $15m all asuming average legs. 

This gets it up to $165m OS with out china, if it's WoM is good a 3.5 multi isn't to far off and it might be looking at close to $200m OS.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aladdino said:

im not the one who picks paranormal activity 2 over hereditary :Gaga:

I picked it because imo it's way better. 

Not better.

Way way better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe black movies like Madea or Just Mercy, sure. But Black Panther and ID4 and such, movies with a brand to them, don't really discriminate whether you're black white or Asian.

Exactly, 

Movies that deal specifically with or originate specifically from the African American experience do relatively less well, because of course they would.

Equally evangelical movies, movies relating to country music, movies relating to American sports, Clint Eastwood films, US military and history movies, that feature American TV-specific stars like Kevin James all do relatively less well. Because they are more specifically culturally American as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

Anyways, using 4-Day multipliers for other MLK openers:

If Bad Boys follows Ride Along: 189M

If it follows Glass: 162.6M

If it follows Ride Along 2: 151.5M

Yep, Blart's reign is over

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6