filmlover

Amsterdam | David O. Russell | October 7, 2022 | Christian Bale to star | 20th Century Studios

10 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Bombs away

I'm so curious, what all has been heard? 

Putting the trailer in front of Thor is a smart move though. If this isn't GOD AWFUL, I think it can at least have a good opening weekend solely based off the exciting cast and seemingly fun premise

I've HEARD people talk about that "this is a disaster", but I haven't seen anything concrete from anyone who has seen it. Some of those same sources had heard some good things. When the test screenings happen, there were some alright-to-good letterboxd scores

Also curious what the budget is. 60m? Hopefully less

Edited by Pinacolada

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I'm so curious, what all has been heard? 

Putting the trailer in front of Thor is a smart move though. If this isn't GOD AWFUL, I think it can at least have a good opening weekend solely based off the exciting cast

I've HEARD people talk about that "this is a disaster", but I haven't seen anything concrete from anyone who has seen it. Some of those same sources had heard some good things. When the test screenings happen, there were some alright-to-good letterboxd scores

Someone said it was just a boring mess that didn't really know what it wanted to be (DOR's earlier indie vibe + his later Oscar bait vibe didn't mesh well), also said the actors and especially Robbie were pretty bland and there's very little depth to any of the characters. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Someone said it was just a boring mess that didn't really know what it wanted to be (DOR's earlier indie vibe + his later Oscar bait vibe didn't mesh well), also said the actors and especially Robbie were pretty bland and there's very little depth to any of the characters. 

Interesting. Wonder if it can be fixed with further editing. Sounds like it has less comedic elements than DOR's other movies? I could see him trying to be serious falling completely flat, like Joy.

If all this is the case, they need to drop a BANGER of a trailer. Good music, make it look fun

Edited by Pinacolada

1 minute ago, Pinacolada said:

Interesting. Wonder if it can be fixed with further editing. Sounds like it has less comedic elements than DOR's other movies? I could see him trying to be serious falling completely flat, like Joy.

If all this is the case, they need to drop a BANGER of a trailer. Good music, make it look fun

Possible I mean his movies have always been edited to the extreme but this person said it felt like that would be a tall feat at the moment. The only actor I think got a lot of praise was Anya Taylor Joy, but if the film is a dud, I doubt she has enough star power as JLaw when she clawed her way into Best Actress for Joy lmao. Also lbr, DOR's history of abuse is going to play into the reception of this no matter what we think. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

It's had, no exaggeration, over 20 test screenings in the last few months. It's not going to be fixed. They even hired an additional editor.

The best they can do is cut a very flashy trailer highlighting the cast, sell it as a caper, and hopefully get some money. Alleviate the inevitable bleeding. Don't screen it early so reviews don't get out. Just treat it like a new release. Then maybe it can do 30ish domestic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's had, no exaggeration, over 20 test screenings in the last few months. It's not going to be fixed. They even hired an additional editor.

The best they can do is cut a very flashy trailer highlighting the cast, sell it as a caper, and hopefully get some money. Alleviate the inevitable bleeding. Don't screen it early so reviews don't get out. Just treat it like a new release. Then maybe it can do 30ish domestic.

Yeah and absolutely NO fall festivals it will get eaten alive. lol. The good thing is Searchlight has an enormous slate of contenders this year so they won't lack for fall festival premieres and Oscar contenders. 

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Oh jesus

6 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah and absolutely NO fall festivals it will get eaten alive. lol. The good thing is Searchlight has an enormous slate of contenders this year so they won't lack for fall festival premieres and Oscar contenders. 

This is 20th Century 

I like the trailer, but they should've gone with a better, more pop-y song. The trailer that played at cinemacon was set to Join together with the band by The Who, and I think that would've made things way more exciting.

I can see why this might no be working tho. Looks not very comedic. American Hustle was a hit bc it was lighter, fun, good trailers, fun soundtrack, and sexy. This looks kinda the opposite