The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

10 hours ago, thajdikt said:

It´s a MCU movie...of course poeple are going to be aware of this. People aren´t aware of this movie right now because the movie isn´t coming out before November and proper marketing hasn´t started. The movie is called "The Marvels". Ain´t like they called it A-force or something. "Marvel" is still there. I don´t get why people are so pressed about the title... The movie will be marketed to hell as all MCU movies are. Awareness is never a problem for a MCU movie. If this movie flops it won´t be because of awareness but rather interest/quality

Guy, the days when a MCU movie could automatciall make a good profit are over.

Edited by dudalb

7 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So is my assumption that, of course, the film will really be marketed as Captain Marvel 2/Captain Marvel & Friends just off base (no matter each character's relative role in the script)?

To take the other guy's example "Captain America Civil War be titled just "Civil War" is pretty literally what happened. The actual marketing stressed Civil War and the name "CA: Civil War" is discordant with the film's marketing that presented Iron Man as a co-leading role. It's sort of wild that they passed on explicitly using Iron Man in the film's title but audiences easily picked up that it was his movie too.

But in Captain America Civil War, movie was still about Steve, as much as Stark got to do in it, it was from start to finish mainly about Steve & Bucky. 

And secondly Captain America doesn't share screen time with since no named characters, he shared time with Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant Man, Wanda, Vision, Rhodes, Bucky and introducing 2 new characters.

Here it's clear by title that half of the Screentime will be hogged by 2 basically flop characters who most of the general Audience don't know about.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Here it's clear by title that half of the Screentime will be hogged by 2 basically flop characters who most of the general Audience don't know about.

I'm just not clear if you're making a more aggressive claim than these three characters comprise the lead ensemble. Context clues suggest the answer is yes but, I mean, short-round is probably in more than 50% of Temple of Doom and no one thinks that film is anything other than an Indiana Jones sequel/prequel. 

There's just a big difference between "these are the main supporting characters in the film" and "these are 3 equally important co-leads" and I just don't organically read the title as pre-committing to an answer. A lot of franchises will just drop a new supporting cast into a film sequel (live free or die hard comes up at the top of my head).

If it's genuinely structurally committed to not being a "true" captain marvel 2, that sounds weird but people are extrapolating a lot from a headline that still functionally has Cpt. Marvel's name and logo on it (though that gets caveated with poster I brought up above). 

I don't think the Civil War point is wrong relative to Captain Marvel points, I've just always thought that default claim is wrong. If Civil War was titled "Iron Man: Civil War" audiences would be complaining that it needed to be called "Captain America: Civil War." Captain America really just never has been in the same league as Iron Man even if he's a successful subfranchise. Civil War played like a boosted Iron Man 4 not a boosted Captain America 3. It basically just replicated IM3's adjusted box office run. I think that the real way to understand the audience's reaction to that film is as Iron Man 4. 

Audiences aren't hyper aware of all aspects of a film's marketing but I just think they can put pretty basic things together on their own. Honestly, when the marketing campaign starts, I imagine plenty of normal people will just refer to this film as Captain Marvel 2. 
Of course, that's to a large degree just what I'm doing. I've heard a little bit of news about the film, and pegging it to "these are the supporting members of the lead ensemble" basic template just makes conceptual sense. "Photon"/lady from Wandavision seems more confusing than "Captain Marvel gets a kid sidekick/major part of planned but unannounced 'young avengers' spinoff film."  

13 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah there's no way a two hour movie can briefly explain (checks notes) two whole characters.

And fuck Monica was literally in the first movie too, she's just older now.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah there's no way a two hour movie can briefly explain (checks notes) two whole characters.

And fuck Monica was literally in the first movie too, she's just older now.

To be fair, Doctor Strange 2 didn't provide a lot of context for what was going on with Wanda.

29 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

To be fair, Doctor Strange 2 didn't provide a lot of context for what was going on with Wanda.

If they would've explained Wanda in MOM then everyone would've hated it, rather than just the people who watched Wandavision hating it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If they would've explained Wanda in MOM then everyone would've hated it, rather than just the people who watched Wandavision hating it.

WandaVision has 334k IMDb votes wheras MoM has 430K, meaning that 20–25% fewer people watched WV than MoM.

They problem isn´t the show. The problem is that Wandas corruption to the Darkhold happened basically off-screen in between the show and the movie. But usually Marvel does a good job filling in the gaps for the people that don´t watch everything. I was fine with the Wanda stuff but clearly people were confused. It makes sense tho she goes from hero to Endgame to complete madness in MoM. It´s such a depart from when the average GA member saw her last time that it becomes confusing. The Marvels need to introduce two characters for those who didn´t watch that show. Hardly anything difficult and nothing the MCU hasn´t done plenty of times.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:56 AM, THUNDER BIRD said:

And secondly Captain America doesn't share screen time with since no named characters, he shared time with Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant Man, Wanda, Vision, Rhodes, Bucky and introducing 2 new characters.

This is what they should do for Black Panther 3 and Shang-Chi 2. Heck put Johnny Storm and the Fantastics in Spidey 4 and put Spidey and Carol in FF2.

Don't get why they haven't replicated the Winter Soldier/Civil War/Homecoming/Ragnarok team-up concepts for Phase 4-5 other than NWH and MoM. It boosts the BO and also builds on character relationships and chemistry beyond the Avenger films.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:56 PM, dudalb said:

Guy, the days when a MCU movie could automatciall make a good profit are over.

The lowest grossing Marvel movie of last year was over 760 million. Quantumania is an exception, not a rule, and even that opened to 120 million. The first Captain Marvel made a billion dollars, and no, it was not just because it came after Infinity War (especially since Ant-Man and the Wasp came immediately after Infinity War and made substantially less than Captain Marvel).

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

This movie won't do much at the box office because people don't much care about "nobody" or just another character; they care about big characters. There are characters like Shang-Chi, Ant-Man, Shazam, and Black Adam, and there are others like Batman, Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man. Marvel had to decide in which category they wanted to put Captain Marvel, but they have been incompetent to do that for the last 4 years, and now they might have to pay the price for that incompetency. Now if they give some kind of importance to the character 3 months before the release at SDCC, it would just prevent the movie from flopping, nothing more

Can´t wait for November and this to beat Vol 3 and be the biggest MCU movie this year. Many will have to eat their words. The hyperbole has become a joke. People saying it won´t gross 400M even. Anyhow hope they make a good trailer on Tuesday

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

41 minutes ago, Willowra said:

This movie won't do much at the box office because people don't much care about "nobody" or just another character; they care about big characters. There are characters like Shang-Chi, Ant-Man, Shazam, and Black Adam, and there are others like Batman, Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man.

Box office wise, Captain Marvel has been in the latter camp, not the former.